Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im curious as to how many people on here have a prescription for benzos...do you take them every day or just for social gatherings??i know there have been a few people on here that have said that the addiction to benzos ruined their life but that was due to abusing the drug, taking it too often etc etc....personally i think benzos are a great drug when used responsibly...

do you take benzos??if so, how often and have tyou noticed a change in tolerance or that you have started to become addicted??

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
im curious as to how many people on here have a i think benzos are a great drug when used responsibly...
I take a benzo a generic of Klonopin. Since I went from alprazolam to Klonopin I am much better and I really don't feel as "drugged" on this one. They can be beneficial if taken responsibly. I've been on benzos for many years and I have never abused it. I have to take it every day some people only need it on occasion or specifically for social events.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I take klonopin(clonazepam) prn 2-3 days a week. Ussually 3 days a week. Its seems to work about the same as when i first started it and have recently went 4 days without it with no withdrawl so im not to dependent on it. takes a big dose to eliminate most of my SA.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
both. benzos are wonderful for social anxiety at first but after a while you build a tolerance, DEPENDENCE, and they can make you depressed. i've been taking clonazepam for over 3 years now and there's no way in hell i can come off it. i've tried many times. i just get tired of basically being mildly tranquilized everyday but its become the norm to me. so benzos are good but also bad at the same time. if you don't become dependent on them then they are great (in my opinion)

·
Registered
55 Posts
They are not intended for long term use...your body will eventually build up an intolerance to them, so after a while you will have to up your dosage to get any affect, and they are very addictive. Withdrawls are supposed to be awful.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
...they [benzos] are very addictive...
I would have to strongly disagree with the part I bolded for emphasis. The ultra-uptight DEA classifies benzos as a C-IV controlled substance. That's the lowest level of controlled drug, so even they deem them to have only limited potential for abuse or addiction.

It's a rarity to find anyone who abuses benzos who isn't a poly-drug addict who'd abuse anything they got their hands on.

I think by any objective standard alcohol would have to be deemed more addictive than benzos, yet most people never become alcoholics despite unlimited availability to anyone of age.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
im curious as to how many people on here have a prescription for benzos...do you take them every day or just for social gatherings??i know there have been a few people on here that have said that the addiction to benzos ruined their life but that was due to abusing the drug, taking it too often etc etc....personally i think benzos are a great drug when used responsibly...

do you take benzos??if so, how often and have tyou noticed a change in tolerance or that you have started to become addicted??
Benzos should only be used on a short-term basis. There are far better antidepressants/anxiolytics for long-term use.

The annoying thing about benzos is that when you're on them, you worry about very little and can justify taking them daily because your judgement is impaired. Don't let that happen.

I'd keep around a ton of benzos, but only for specific events. I'd only take them for weeks/months if I have some phenobarbital on hand.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
@UltraShy: Benzodiazepines are major drugs of abuse and can cause very severe physical dependence after longterm use. If you would hypothetically stop taking your 10mg Xanax / day abruptly after all these years, this would very likely result in seizures and delirium and in the worst case (untreated) death. If you decided to come off Xanax the normal way this would take pretty many unpleasant months with potential after effects for eventually years. So I personally wouldn't call benzodiazepines low "addictive".

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
About the comment about benzo's being addictive, I completely dissagree. They don't get you high, you just feel really calm. I personally know that drug abusers don't even want benzo's (unless they're coming down off of Cocaine or Meth maybe). My dog asked people before if they just wanted some (not even for money) and they flat out said no because its not enjoyable to them. Atleast thats what my dog told me. When I first started taking Clonazepam, I would take a little more than I should have but that was just out of stupidity. I was getting a tolerance to them so I took more. But there's never a day I wake up and say like "man, I gotta get my benzo's, now! Atleast this has been my experience.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts

BOO for benzos! But first I should tell you that I have bi polar and benzos usually make me angry or depressed. I think they are helpful for average people.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
personally i never have ENJOYED benzos...i dont even consider them to be a recreational drug..to me, opiates, ghb, alcohol are rec drugs whereas i consider benzos to be in the same category as aspirin...what i mean is i would take benzos to cure an ailment(anxiety) the same way i take aspirin to cure an ailment(headache)..its not like i lok at a pile of valium and say 'lets party!'..alot of people seem to get euphoria from benzos but im notone of them therefore i dont think i could ever become addicted to them...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
personally i never have ENJOYED benzos...i dont even consider them to be a recreational drug..to me, opiates, ghb, alcohol are rec drugs whereas i consider benzos to be in the same category as aspirin...what i mean is i would take benzos to cure an ailment(anxiety) the same way i take aspirin to cure an ailment(headache)..its not like i lok at a pile of valium and say 'lets party!'..alot of people seem to get euphoria from benzos but im notone of them therefore i dont think i could ever become addicted to them...
Same here. If I'm having massive anxiety I'll pop one or two, but I never just take them looking for a good time.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Unluckily millions of people worldwide are dependent on benzodiazepines and withdrawal can be very hard.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
Unluckily millions of people worldwide are dependent on benzodiazepines and withdrawal can be very hard.
Definitely! Every time I've tried to stop I have the mindset of "ok, you can do this, you NEED to do this, and you WILL do this", and after about 3 or 4 (maybe 5) days I feel like I'm going completely insane. Its like I wanna come out of my own skin and there's NO way to get comfortable EVER. Its just so horrible. I did almost kick them a while ago when I was only on Clonazepam for a total of 6 months (after I had just started it) and made it to day 7 but I HAD to take some (because of work and whatnot). OMG, just sitting in traffic was horrific. I always regret my choice of giving in that time. I was soooo close cause I hadn't been taking them for all that long. Now I'm a little over 3 years so there's just no way in hell I can do it alone. But hey, atleast they do help me, my memory is complete mush though. Hey, I just realized I almost got 1,000 posts. Go me! Lol.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ive never found benzodiazepines enjoyable. Ive never experienced any europhic effects ( at 4mg which is the biggest dose of klonopin ive ever took) or anything that makes me just dying to take take that next pill. I do like to keep a few in my pocket as it makes me feel better knowing they are there in case a stressful anxiety provoking situation pops up. So no i do not think they are addictive but tolerance and dependence are problems

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.