Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a unrelated topic but i figure this is as good as any place to ask it as theres alot of educated people on here. I already asked the same question on a dental forum but they seemed retarded.

Im going to the dentist in a couple of days to get a tooth extracted. They are going to to put me on iv sedation. So heres the problem i have a huge needle phobia so its going to take alot of klonopin to get me in there. So is there any danger in taking alot of benzos before iv sedation?

·
Banned
642 Posts
Why not ask your dentist first. But usually surgical procedures include the patient to take a Kpin or Xanax to calm them on the ride to the hospital. My friend had surgery on his nose the other day, and they gave him a sedative ( i don't know what), I assume benzo to calm him before the procedure even took place.

I would definitly inform my dentist if I were you of your intentions. That way at least he has the opportunity to adjust on his end if need be

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
IV sedation is probably going to involve midazolam, which is a benzo, too. You'd be best off telling your dentist about your Klonopin because mixing benzos could cause complications. Honestly, I don't think you'd be in a life-or-death situation from taking Klonopin and then being given midazolam, but doctors have this crazy thing where they like to know everything about you - especially which meds you're taking - so they don't make any mistakes that might cost them their precious license. So yeah, tell your dentist about all the meds you're on. I'm not entirely sure why your dentist didn't ask that during your previous appointment or consult.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It depends on if they are just sedating you or knocking you out (general anesthetic.) Generally IV benzos are more potent but much shorter acting (like 15 minutes for IV valium) If they are going to knock you out (midazolam) then you won't even remember any of it so no worries. I know when I had my wisdom teeth extracted they gave me some sort of IV benzo before knocking me out (valium I assume.) They said "you should feel calm now" which I didn't and then they hit me with the milky stuff and next thing I knew I was awake with my teeth out. Just be up front with them, it's nearly impossible to die from benzo overdose so your needing to take extra klonopin shouldn't be an issue (although they probably won't let you drive home.)

I was only given two options 1) Semi-concious using nitrous or 2) General anesthetic (knocked out.)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So whatever medicine they give me will also be a benzo? ok i got you so theres no worries because the worst that could happen is being more sedated and knocked out. I appreciate all the help as im very nervous about this. I would like to drink about half a bottle of vodka before i went lol.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, the benzo for me was administered IV so you're out of luck if you're looking for relief before the needle poke. If it's general aesthetic than you will have an anesthesiologist who will be very knowledgable about interactions. Just tell them what your daily klonopin dose is and that you took extra that day because you are nervous. If I had to guess they will skip the relaxing benzo and just hit you with the milky stuff and knock you out. Tell them about your needle problem, they have icey patches to numb the area so you don't feel the poke. I just had blood work done and just tell them to make it fast and look away (anticipation is the worse than the actual prick.) I don't like needles but I was much more worried about the tooth extractions (all four.)

·
Registered
423 Posts
When I had my teeth extracted on 2 seperate occasions I just had an injection in the roof of my mouth and that was it, didn't realise that some people actually had a general anesthetic for a tooth extraction! Didn't have any pain medication afterwards either, the injection made my mouth numb.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I went to an oral surgeon, I think it's common in the states to either use nitrous to put you in a semi-concious state or offer general anesthetic. In my case it was for four wisdom teeth and it cost a lot of money to go with the general anesthetic (around $300 extra.) They shot me up with so much novocaine that my mouth was numb for almost 24 hours.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
IV sedation is probably going to involve midazolam, which is a benzo, too.
That would be my assumption too. Given that huge amounts of Xanax don't knock me out I have a fear -- that I think has a rational basis -- that a related drug like midazolam isn't going to knock me out either. I imagine a situation where an oral surgeon gives me as much midazolam as he's ever given any patient ever and I am still fully conscious and he's too afraid to up the dose to levels he's never seen used before so we just sit there stumped as to what to do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be my assumption too. Given that huge amounts of Xanax don't knock me out I have a fear -- that I think has a rational basis -- that a related drug like midazolam isn't going to knock me out either. I imagine a situation where an oral surgeon gives me as much midazolam as he's ever given any patient ever and I am still fully conscious and he's too afraid to up the dose to levels he's never seen used before so we just sit there stumped as to what to do.
Yeah i hear you, im somewhat afraid i wont be sedated enough. Because of my slight benzo tolerance and that benzos have never just knocked me out even in high doses. Im going to stress to him hes going crank that dial as far as it goes because like its already been stated its hard to overdose on benzos.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
not dangerous at all. alot of doctors actually prescribe valium to pateints before oral surgery to calm them down. id let your dentist know that you took some but it's really no big deal.

even going to the dentist is a huge step. i'm scared to death of that place. i haven't been for 2 years and i don't plan on going back until i absolutely have to.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Im thinking about taking 4mg of klonopin and telling the doctor i took 1 or 2mg.
lol just tell the doctor how much you took. they are not going to be mad. just tell them that you have social anxiety and that you regularly take benzos. if you mention the anxiety disorder then he would be likely to take that into account and give you more then he would another patient. :D

id do the same thing as you though. i have valium in my cabinet for situations just like this. i need to be prepared. otherwise i'm a complete nervous wreck and every little poke and tug freaks me out. plus the dentist sucks because i always get scared that my jaw is going to get stuck open. ugh anxiety blows.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Yeah i hear you, im somewhat afraid i wont be sedated enough. Because of my slight benzo tolerance and that benzos have never just knocked me out even in high doses. Im going to stress to him hes going crank that dial as far as it goes because like its already been stated its hard to overdose on benzos.
Define what high dose means in your case?

My all time record for Xanax consumption in 24 hours would be 20 mg. My prescribed dose is 10 mg daily. For some reason I haven't been using as much lately. Seems like lately I've been more bored & apathetic, rather than as nervous as usual. I also haven't consumed any alcohol at all in the last 17 days, which is really odd for me even though there is beer and wine just waiting for me in the fridge. And I haven't been making any specific effort to cut back on the use of either benzos or booze.

ODing on benzos is basically an impossible task unless you mix it with other other CNS depressants like huge amounts of alcohol and/or opioids, but then benzos are just a contributing factor. From what I've read fatal levels of Valium are in the 8 gram+ range -- meaning 800 pills at least, which hardly sounds like an amount one is likely to take and if they take it they sure didn't do so by accident.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I was given Valium beforehand, local anesthetic and probably another IV benzo (I felt really, really calm after the first IV) and nitrous. My dentist knew how scared I was of the procedure. I was given some pain medicine for after, but I have absolutely no recollection of what it was.

I'm kind of envious that some of you all were able to get completely knocked out for it. Lucky.

·
Banned
642 Posts
meaning 800 pills at least, which hardly sounds like an amount one is likely to take and if they take it they sure didn't do so by accident.
Even then I don't know if your body would allow you to ingest so many pills before it started puking everything up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts