Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you actually have a benzo script that specifically states to not consume alcohol? I've been on Xanax and Klonopin and both have stated the medication may "Intensify the Effects of Alcohol". I've never had my bottle state DO NOT MIX...

I'm in a small debate on a different forum that I won't name and one member pulled some drugs.com website that makes this claim. I've never had a doctor say do not drink. My first doctor simply said to cut your regular intake in half. I've gone out drinking with my friends many times, and yeah my tolerance is low and I get drunk quicker, but I still felt like a normal person.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as you, the bottle doesn't say not to drink and my pdoc doesn't either, he just said to be more conscious of my alcohol consumption and never drink "a lot".

I'd be curious to hear as well if others have had different experiences.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've gotten my monthly bottle of Xanax from the same pharmacy for years now. Some months the bottle will have a warning sticker that says not to consume any alcohol with it and other times it will not. Pharmacists have a whole collection of warning stickers and from what I've seem they like to mix it up by changing which one(s) they decide to put on from month to month.

Despite what it may or may not say, I can assure you that it is safe to mix benzos and booze. And before somebody jumps on me for saying that I must clarify that by "safe" I mean it will not harm you other than both are CNS depressants that produce an additive effect. Someone might reply the combination could potentially kill you, which is true -- if you take enough benzos you could reduce the blood alcohol level needed to produce death by alcohol poisoning to a "mere" .45 instead of .50 -- though even without the added help of benzos that's enough alcohol that odds are you can't manage to stand and are most likely passed out.

So it's safe as long as we're not talking about insane behavior like taking the whole bottle of pills and washing that down with a whole bottle of vodka.

Adding in other CNS depressants like opioids would also produce an additive effect. This would be a way idiots manage to accidentally die -- they're a human pharmacy filled with a ton of assorted CNS depressants. All of which would be safe if not used in excess.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
No doctor has ever mentioned the issue of drinking. Back when I started seeing my pdoc I indicated on his new patient questionnaire that I NEVER drink, which was true at that time. And I'm not stupid enough to update that information.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Some months the bottle will have a warning sticker that says not to consume any alcohol with it and other times it will not. Pharmacists have a whole collection of warning stickers and from what I've seem they like to mix it up by changing which one(s) they decide to put on from month to month.
*shakes head*

I wonder if they just grab the one closest to them. :roll

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
^My personal favorite warning is "May cause drowsiness" on sleeping pills.:lol Well, I should hope so!

Give how totally ineffective Lunesta & Ambien are for me that "May" part actually is accurate.

·
Banned
76 Posts
benzos make many people feel drunk, so alcahol adds to the benzos effect

so you need to experiment with benzos and booze, especially if driving or operating machinery

overall bans on booze and meds are mostly to keep insurance cos happy and reduce the possibility of people suing for accidents

social drinking with friends is important for morale, but when starting any new prescription med, take a tablet at home first and have 1 or 2 drinks as the reaction cant be predicted, may save you from dancing on the table later when drinking with friends, or perhaps from passing out

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
^My personal favorite warning is "May cause drowsiness" on sleeping pills.:lol Well, I should hope so!
That's hilarious! :lol

Reminds me of the Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts I bought recently:
"Allergy Information: Contains Peanuts" :lol

·
Registered
609 Posts
benzos/alcohol seem to work some of the time but other times just make me a jumbled mess...sutre, i have no anxiety and my inhibitions are very low but my memory is terrible and my overall movement is slowed too much....

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well let's just say this other person I am debating with has absolutely no experience with benzo's and even thinks driving on benzo's is potentially dangerous. I mean I don't think people should be driving while drinking, so they definitely shouldn't be driving while mixing benzo's and booze. Furthermore, people who take benzo's daily no longer get the extreme depressing effect. They just feel like normal people without irregular amounts of anxiety. Also, I think people who take benzo's prn should be more careful with driving.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think the danger isn't death but blacking out, doing a face plant, trying to drive, making an *** out yourself in front of co-workers etc. I've read several stories of people taking klonopin falling asleep at the bar or blacking out after drinking and having no memory of the night before. I personally haven't had a problem with waiting until the benzo wears off and drinking booze (at least 4 hours after my last valium dose) but this can be difficult to do with the longer acting benzos.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Reminds me of the Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts I bought recently:
"Allergy Information: Contains Peanuts" :lol
Yeah, I've seen that same warning on a pack of peanut butter cookies that on the front screams "Made with Real Peanut Butter" and lists peanut butter as the main ingredient.

Yet their lawyers still demand they carry that warning for anybody who couldn't guess the secret ingredient.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can drink on benzos, but it isn't recommended since a lot of people don't know their own limit. I tried it once and I just fell asleep. The only real benefit I could see to this combo is that you could reduce some of the hangover effects of alcohol by supplementing some of the anxiolysis with benzos. In other words, you could drink less and have less of a hangover. I don't have much interest in this combo though.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Its not suggested because they're both depressants. They both enhance the effects of the other. Just drink in moderation and im sure you'll be fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm

I suffer from pretty bad PTSD which can kinda trigger a socially nerve wraking experience, day or time. And am also a recovering Heroin addict and if you are truly trying to deal with you anxiety I personally recomend not drinking and taking Benzos of any kind I take about 2 MG of a Kolonopin a day and 30mg of Restoril at badtime when needed. And from experience with taking large ammounts drugs I can tell you that if i was drinking and taking a benzo of anykind it was for the sole purpose of getting ****ed up and not actually trying to settle my anxiety. So based on that if you are drinking and taking benzos your not trying to releve anything your just trying to get messed up. I mean I don't even care if your socially drinking but if your taking any benzos and drink about a shot you'll be pretty messed up. I really can't believe you guys are actually talking about this.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Drinking on benzos makes me completely black out within 4 drinks. It usually takes over ten drinks on an empty stomach to black me out. Surprisingly enough, there is no alcohol warning on my klonopin.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
The danger of mixing benzos and alcohol isn't down to just the toxicity. Benzos will make you pass out a lot easier when added into the mix, and many deaths are from things like people vomiting in such a state and choking to death on it. This nearly happened to my brother who was relatively benzo-naive and didn't take much, but had a fair bit of alcohol, and he's lucky I was there.

I'm not saying you can't mix the two, and I do so myself (often the only way I can elicit any sort of feeling from benzos at all), but you DO have to be careful about it. Benzos on their own are remarkably safe but it's not a smart idea to get totally hammered at the same time. The remark about it slightly reducing the necessary BAC from .50 to .45 may be true, but that's not how most deaths from combining these things occur...

But yeah... as far the the stickers go, sometimes it tells me not to mix with alcohol, sometimes to use caution, and sometimes it's not there at all. Not just with benzos, but even with SSRIs I sometimes had the "no alcohol" stickers! Sometimes it tells me not to mix with grapefruit juice, but the sticker is often missing too. There's really no standard for these... the pharmacists just have these stickers and its really up to their own discretion which they stick on.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you read that little paper that always comes with your medication all benzos (and pretty much all anxiety and depression meds) say do not consume alcohol. They don't always put the stickers on the bottles because you are suppose to read the paper. Not that anyone does which is why they started putting stickers on the bottles.

I wouldn't get really drunk while on such medications. That could be dangerous. I don't see a problem with some alcohol though. I try to keep it equal to or equivalent to the amount in a glass of wine. All it does is make my benzos or sleep aids or whatever work better which is good. Especially when my doctor is being overly cautious and not prescribing a high enough dose. I'm about to tell her to pick between a script of 4mg of lorazepam (actually within the normal range for treating insomnia with it) or 2mg plus vodka and let her decide which she thinks is safer. Cause the latter is what I've been doing for weeks in order to fall asleep.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
I'm about to tell her to pick between a script of 4mg of lorazepam (actually within the normal range for treating insomnia with it) or 2mg plus vodka and let her decide which she thinks is safer. Cause the latter is what I've been doing for weeks in order to fall asleep.
That's a good way to get cut off completely :lol

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
She can't stop all my meds because I have extreme insomnia. I will not sleep for days without meds and this was before I ever started any meds so it's not withdrawal. Which means I'll end up doing whatever it takes to get sleep or going back to a nonfunctioning suicidal state. Which that doctor has seen and it's part of why she gives me anything I want most of the time.

Every script I fill anywhere comes in a bag with a paper stapled to it and the info labels to send in to my insurance if I need to.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts