Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So I hear people having benzo withdrawal. I have never experienced this. When people abuse benzos is this when they have the withdrawal?(I.E. taking 30mg of XANAX) When does withdrawal happen? I heard withdrawal can happen weeks later, is this true?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I take 4mg of xanax xr a day. At this point, I can feel it a few hours before my dose and it goes down hill in a HURRY. I can only imagine what I would feel like if I "skipped" a day. Well... I'd be a on a massive quest searching for pills.

You can withdraw even on a minimal dose, that's what is so discouraging. If you take 1mg a day for quite some time... and then stop... you will feel it fairly quickly. It is fairly immediate because of the way benzos work. They don't stay in your system long, and all have a relatively short half life. Klonopin may give you a day or two because of it's long half life.. but I wouldn't press my luck.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
You can get withdrawls without abusing them if you take them daily, i have them right now I've tapered down from 3mg a day to 1/2mg a day of klonopin and the withdrawls have been really bad lately. I've been tapering over period of months and months and doing what the Dr. says.Benzos are terrible if you use them everyday i dont know why one of my former psychiatrists put me on them daily, i wish i knew better at the time :sigh

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, Thanks for replying.

I take 1mg of xanax 3x a week. I take breaks and don't feel any withdrawal on the off days. I recommend you guys take an nmda Antagonist, it has been said to help with withdrawals. But if you do take an nmda antagonist make sure you stay on them because the withdrawals will come back. If you switch to the NMDA Antagonist make sure you taper them as well.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Guys, Thanks for replying.

I take 1mg of xanax 3x a week. I take breaks and don't feel any withdrawal on the off days. I recommend you guys take an nmda Antagonist, it has been said to help with withdrawals. But if you do take an nmda antagonist make sure you stay on them because the withdrawals will come back. If you switch to the NMDA Antagonist make sure you taper them as well.
+1

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey,

So I hear people having benzo withdrawal. I have never experienced this. When people abuse benzos is this when they have the withdrawal?(I.E. taking 30mg of XANAX) When does withdrawal happen? I heard withdrawal can happen weeks later, is this true?
Hi Barry, benzo withdrawal problems can happen quite quickly for some people in as little as a week or two, but I think it's not that common, usually it occurs from using daily over a longer period of time.

I myself took benzos almost daily for 2 years and had no problem stopping them and no tolerance or withdrawal problems.

However a big problem with benzos is rebound anxiety. That is where you experience even worse anxiety when you suddenly stop taking them.

If you use them sparingly and only as and when needed, you can usually avoid all these problems.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Barry, benzo withdrawal problems can happen quite quickly for some people in as little as a week or two, but I think it's not that common, usually it occurs from using daily over a longer period of time.

I myself took benzos almost daily for 2 years and had no problem stopping them and no tolerance or withdrawal problems.

However a big problem with benzos is rebound anxiety. That is where you experience even worse anxiety when you suddenly stop taking them.

If you use them sparingly and only as and when needed, you can usually avoid all these problems.
My tolerance is horrible to benzos and pretty much anything else. I only use them 3 x a week and after about a month of use its pretty much placebo to me. I have even been taking dxm and it hasnt helped with tolerance.

·
Registered
480 Posts
benzo withdrawal is hell.

Withdrawal occurs when a drug is taken for a period of time and then suddenly stopped.

Certain drugs, such as klonopin, stay in the body for a long time and you wont notice withdrawal for a few days.

Others, such as xanax, enter and exit the body in a short time so you notice withdrawal much quicker as the drug itself has left the body.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It can be hell if you do it wrong.

Plus some people might not be ready to get off them.

Good luck with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts