Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what it takes to become addicted to benzos?

I take 1.5-2mg of Ativan about once-twice a week. I'm really scared of becoming addicted to the medication, so I won't take it more than twice a week.

So, with twice a week benzo use, can you become addicted?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
So, with twice a week benzo use, can you become addicted?
I say NO. Anything is possible I suppose, though I'd rate pigs flying as more likely.

Dependency becomes more likely with higher doses and long-term chronic use. You're taking only 1.5-4mg per week which is very modest, so you need not worry.

Reactions: istayhome

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Hi Marie92, great question.

From my experience, physical dependency can creep up on you rather quickly. I went through 2 x 50 tablet 1mg Xanax in approximately two months.
Perhaps as I'm an alcoholic, and have a high tolerance to that, and since benzos act on a close cousin of the GABA neurotransmitters, I had to have at least 3 to proper calm right off the bat.
Before a class presentation, I had 5 or 6mg. My doctor was curious as to how that didn't knock me out - I blame the alcoholism.

In addition, I'd often mix it with a lot of alcohol (I know, stupid, and deadly).

I never had 'proper' blackouts just drinking; it was only until I mixed the two: One time I woke up on morning with a half-eaten plate of roast potatoes on my mattress beside me (Thank God I have a hard matress ;)); the TV running on full volume; pasta on the kitchen stove that thank God I had turned off but it was way over-cooked and the bottom had burnt to the pan; I wrote a message for my mum about something which was weird and there was a bowl full of olive tepenade ready for the pasta sitting on the table.
THE THING IS! And here it is: I have absolutely NO recollection of ever doing those things - non. It was a true blackout and gosh darn frightening even though those things weren't really that serious.

Now, if I was out on the town that night and felt promiscuous or overly aggressive (not that I am - I'm quite tame), I can only imagine what sticky situations may have arisen and I'd be non-the-wiser the next day.

BUT TO ANSWER YOU QUESTION: Yes, you can become psychically dependent without months and months of use.

My withdrawal to that was the worst time of my life. I did not sleep for 5 days. The idea behind that is one's body becomes to accustom to the inhibitory action of the GABA neurotransmitters that are in abundance when taking Benzos, so as soon as you stop taking it, the body has nothing to essentially calm it down, and it goes into over-drive (hence why i didn't sleep).

I don't know how your doctor prescribed it to you; mine recommend that i use it very sparingly - only when I am due to perform, say once a week on an mic-night night or public karaoke - whatever, but yeah, if you keep to that strategy, it should be fine and dandy.

NOW! Time for me to listen to my own advice kekekek. Just occasionally Mr. Phibes :p

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
With how your taking them you have nothing to worry about. I was addicted to my Klonopin at one point and the withdrawal really is as bad as people say. You feel so physically ill that you actually feel like your dying.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Apologies for my tangential reply. You know you are doing a positive thing by only taking it a couple of times a week, max.

All the best with stabilising, and hopefully bringing an end to your mental torment.

Peace xoxox

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
As UltraShy said, anything is possible but no, your current regiment of a low-dose Ativan. 1-2x/week, you are very unlikely to become physically dependent.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'm wondering though... Is 1.5-2 mg of ativan really low dose? Maybe that is why it hasn't been working much?

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'm wondering though... Is 1.5-2 mg of ativan really low dose? Maybe that is why it hasn't been working much?
Ultimately everyone is different, That dose will be nothing to some people (like me, even when I had no tolerance,) it is a little stronger for some people. By my standards and the standards of several psychiatrists I have seen, It is a pretty low dose.

You might want to try a different benzo if it doesn't help you hat much. Why do you take Ativan? If it is for the occasional panic attack, social phobia, anticipatory anxiety, presentations, etc. I assume that you don't need a long-lasting benzo because you only take it 1-2 times a week. Xanax might be much more effective.

Lately psychiatrists seem to be prescribing ativan mostly. No matter how much Ativan I take though, it doesn't relieve anxiety. When I first began getting panic attacks, it's what I was prescribed, if I took it when I need it the most, all it would do was make me drowsy.

With no Benzo tolerance, 10 mgs. left me tired and sleepy but I still felt very anxious.

1.5-2 mgs taken once or twice a week is certainly a low dose. If you haven't tried xanax, you might find 1 mg of that to be more effective It all depends on what works best for you.

About a year ago I saw an awful psychiatrist, he gave me no choice but to quit the Benzos that I've taken for years (valium & Xanax) and switch to Ativan. He really lied to me. He said that he was privy to recent major breakthrough scientific study that proved that Valium did absolutely nothing (tell that to the people who's lives have been saved by it when they were having seizure). And he made up a bunch of stuff about xanax, telling me that it has been proven that Xanax actually aggravates anxiety. He refused to listen to me when I said that I had used the other commonly prescribed Benzos and other anti-anxiety meds and that the Valium/Xanax combo was the only thing helped me tremendously.

Anyway he decided that Ativan was the miracle benzo so he put me on that. 10 mgs a day did nothing except mske me sleepy. Then I found a better psychiatrist and now I am on effective medications again. Anyways, if you've never tried Xanax it may be a more effective option for you. Also Xanax clears your system quicker than Ativan, so only taking it 1-2 times per week guarantee's you will not gain a dependency.

that's all I have to say about that. I hope all is well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts