Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I am wondering if anyone here has any experience of getting access to benefits on SA grounds?
I am a student (which complicates things) and I found it hard to go much this year and I postponed my exams and blah blah
Im trying to get access to some benefits while I try to find a job for the summer, which I am not sure I will be able to do well.
Theyve suggested disabilaty allowance but Im not sure if Im really entitled to it, is SA really classed as a disability?
any advice would be helpful

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am on Employment and Support allowance, and I get £100 a week because I can't leave my house alone to work.

Employment and Support allowance used to be incapacity benefits, so they do classify it as a disability IF it heeds your everyday life, which it does for me.

You can't get them without a medical note from your Doctor though.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yep you'll need a medical note from your doctor and sooner or later they send you for one of those ridiculous medicals. :roll

·
Registered
794 Posts
I haven't needed to go for a medical, they know all about my disorder from my Doctor and Psychiatrist, and it took them less than a month to give me my benefits and backdate.

Anyway, it's a good thing that you need a Medical Note from your Doctor, otherwise you'd have every Tom, Dick & Harry trying to get E&S allowance when they don't need it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I haven't needed to go for a medical, they know all about my disorder from my Doctor and Psychiatrist, and it took them less than a month to give me my benefits and backdate.

Anyway, it's a good thing that you need a Medical Note from your Doctor, otherwise you'd have every Tom, Dick & Harry trying to get E&S allowance when they don't need it.
You've never needed a medical? Really? That's unusual, almost eveyone i know who's claimed for mental illness has had one. Why did you get let off?

·
Registered
794 Posts
You've never needed a medical? Really? That's unusual, almost eveyone i know who's claimed for mental illness has had one. Why did you get let off?
That depends quite what you mean by medical, what do you mean? As far as I know, they've simply never asked for one. It could be because my anxiety is quite severe.

Basically, I went to the Doctor, told her I had SA. She scheduled a Psychiatric assessment for me and put me on medication, then gave me a Doctor's Note to send to the Job Centre when I claimed for Employment and Support Allowance.

About three weeks later, they gave me benefits.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That depends quite what you mean by medical, what do you mean? As far as I know, they've simply never asked for one. It could be because my anxiety is quite severe.

Basically, I went to the Doctor, told her I had SA. She scheduled a Psychiatric assessment for me and put me on medication, then gave me a Doctor's Note to send to the Job Centre when I claimed for Employment and Support Allowance.

About three weeks later, they gave me benefits.
OK, doesn't sound like you've had a yearly medical which is where you get interviewed by a medical services GP *spits on ground*.

You get them once a year and its the benefit offices way of judging weither you're fit to work or not. Fortunetly i only ever had one.

·
Registered
794 Posts
OK, doesn't sound like you've had a yearly medical which is where you get interviewed by a medical services GP *spits on ground*.

You get them once a year and its the benefit offices way of judging weither you're fit to work or not. Fortunetly i only ever had one.
Ahh. Well i'm currently unfit to work, seeing as I can't even leave the house alone -_-.

Anyway, the Doctor's note I gave them said I couldn't work.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ahh. Well i'm currently unfit to work, seeing as I can't even leave the house alone -_-.

Anyway, the Doctor's note I gave them said I couldn't work.
How long are you signed off for?

Sooner or later they'll send you for a medical, hopefully much later.

·
Registered
794 Posts
How long are you signed off for?

Sooner or later they'll send you for a medical, hopefully much later.
Currently three months, but as soon as that expires, I just go back and get a new note.

I doubt they'll send me for a medical (as they never mentioned it at all in the massive book of everything you need to know) but it's no big deal anyway, I love my Doctor.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Currently three months, but as soon as that expires, I just go back and get a new note.

I doubt they'll send me for a medical (as they never mentioned it at all in the massive book of everything you need to know) but it's no big deal anyway, I love my Doctor.
I can give you some tips for when they do eventually send you for the medical if you'd like.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks! I havent got a doctors line yet but I will get one, i see a psychologist for an unrelated thing he could probably do me one as well.

I havent been properly assessed yet, but Im sure the doctor will help out.

I can leave my house, but when I used to work in a shop I got pulled up a couple of times for not looking at the customers when I was serving them and getting nervous and people were talking about me behind my back hoping I would get disciplinary hearings and the like and it all seemed to go downhill from there! I like uni, there isnt scrutiny but when its the holidays I cant live on thin air you know! lol

·
Registered
706 Posts
I can leave my house, but when I used to work in a shop I got pulled up a couple of times for not looking at the customers when I was serving them and getting nervous and people were talking about me behind my back hoping I would get disciplinary hearings and the like and it all seemed to go downhill from there! I like uni, there isnt scrutiny but when its the holidays I cant live on thin air you know! lol
Don't tell them you're doing that though will you, they'll very likely turn you down if you do.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ok thanks! I havent got a doctors line yet but I will get one, i see a psychologist for an unrelated thing he could probably do me one as well.

I havent been properly assessed yet, but Im sure the doctor will help out.

The other thing with benefits is that they take in how much you have, or have saved up. Since you were in Uni, you'll have had your student loan.

Anyway, if you don't qualify for Employment and Support Allowance, just get Jobseekers Allowance to help you while you're unemployed.

Check out this site for more information:
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/esa/index.asp

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't tell them you're doing that though will you, they'll very likely turn you down if you do.
Yeah I thought that. That was the last time I worked and I wasnt as bad back then, they will probably ask me how I got on at my last work though

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The other thing with benefits is that they take in how much you have, or have saved up. Since you were in Uni, you'll have had your student loan.

Anyway, if you don't qualify for Employment and Support Allowance, just get Jobseekers Allowance to help you while you're unemployed.

Check out this site for more information:
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/esa/index.asp
Thanks, will do.
x x

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was off sick for six months then had to have a medical and they said I was fit to work:no
They said I could dispute the decision or go on the dole, either way I'd be getting the same money, so I thought it simpler to go on the dole (which meant handing in my notice form the place which gave me a nervous breakdown in the first place).
I just never felt comfortable applying for any other jobs, supprisingly to say how well the doctor said I was:no
In the end I decided to try and work for myself but that failed and now I'm stuck, they say I'm not too sick to work yet I KNOW I can't get a job, they're right and I'm wrong...well who the f*** is stuck at home without a penny for food?:mum

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was off sick for six months then had to have a medical and they said I was fit to work:no
They said I could dispute the decision or go on the dole, either way I'd be getting the same money, so I thought it simpler to go on the dole (which meant handing in my notice form the place which gave me a nervous breakdown in the first place).
I just never felt comfortable applying for any other jobs, supprisingly to say how well the doctor said I was:no
In the end I decided to try and work for myself but that failed and now I'm stuck, they say I'm not too sick to work yet I KNOW I can't get a job, they're right and I'm wrong...well who the f*** is stuck at home without a penny for food?:mum
The whole system is completely flawed for dealing in mental illness. Most of the decision is based on how you come across at the medical interview but unless you don't come across as a complete mess they concider you fit for work and fail you. To make it even worse some of the medical doctors are actually baised towards mental illness and will fail you regardless of how bad you actually are or appear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts