Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 30 yr. old male and recently accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. I have had SA for years, but was able to avoid most triggers for many years. I now spend more time with other believers and am sometimes asked to read aloud from the Bible. This causes me extreme anxiety and so I if I am asked to read I tell them I have an anxiety problem and would rather not read aloud. I am tired of this and want to overcome this problem with the help of the Lord. I was hoping I could find some people that have overcame this type of problem with the Lords help and maybe could give me some guidance.

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
Well GREAT on becoming a Christian!! I would advise you to think one thing! God is the only one listening ! Know that you are His creation and that you are there to please the Lord NOT others. So if you do decide to read aloud just know that! Plus they are your fellow christians, they are there to worship the Lord just like you are, they are not there to judge you on anything! So take and pick one Sunday and tell yourself "I will read today" and prepare yourself by repeating that all week long, practice reading aloud at home so you get more familiar with speaking aloud. :) Hope I helped ya. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Coughing Neon
123 Posts
I am a 30 yr. old male and recently accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour.
*thumbs up*

I now spend more time with other believers and am sometimes asked to read aloud from the Bible. This causes me extreme anxiety and so I if I am asked to read I tell them I have an anxiety problem and would rather not read aloud.
Yeah, that's one of those "things" that people of faith like to do. I guess it involves people more but I don't see why you can't just have one person lead.

At any rate, I think you're doing the right thing for now by letting them know about your anxiety. In time, by learning the Word and knowing your way around it, you might gain confidence that will help you.

In college I actually led a Bible study depite my insecurities/fear and I think many other people would be surprised what they can do.

·
MBTI: INFJ Enneagram:4w5
2,192 Posts
You might try reading the Bible in front of the mirror or maybe with a couple people that you trust not to laugh if you stumble on some words. And ask God to give you the strength to get through it. Maybe just see if you can start with just two verses, and work your way up to more.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I read the bible aloud everyday for two reasons: so I can learn what God wants to do and also so I can improve my speaking voice. This gives me confidence to speak aloud in public. I think you should try it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know why I get surprised at how much the Lord provides. I mean I was happy for the forum but to have my Christian family a part of this to blows me away!

I understand how you feel. My problem is talking directly to my pastors, or anyone in the church. It is hard for me to socialize in the church of all places. I think for us...we may have to just do it and stumble a little first, and maybe experience everyone's reaction to our stumble to know it is not that bad. IDK but I am reading this post intently to see what others say.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I am a 30 yr. old male and recently accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. I have had SA for years, but was able to avoid most triggers for many years. I now spend more time with other believers and am sometimes asked to read aloud from the Bible. This causes me extreme anxiety and so I if I am asked to read I tell them I have an anxiety problem and would rather not read aloud. I am tired of this and want to overcome this problem with the help of the Lord. I was hoping I could find some people that have overcame this type of problem with the Lords help and maybe could give me some guidance.
Congratulations :boogie :boogie :boogie.
It is normally a confidence thing. I had the same issue with praise and worship (and I am musically inclined!) When I knew God was behind it, then I could freely give it to Him. Just let Him you are you are thinking about Him the next time you read the Bible.

Other Christians will not judge you - at first, they will be impressed that you are stepping up!

·
J. Alfred Prufrock
479 Posts
I'm rarely asked to read aloud, but if it's reading to anyone other than my immediate family, I still get nervous.
Praying aloud I won't do unless I'm completely alone.
Oh and worship's the same! I usually half-blame the music - CCM/gospel doesn't get me involved like it used to - but I know the other side is simply my great discomfort in that kind of setting. I started attending the services on my campus in late October (I think) and, with both SAD and the fact that I haven't had a church setting since the Sunday before Hurricane Katrina, I'm more or less stiff.

Thinking about it now embarrasses me.

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
Without God all things are in impossible but with God everything is possible and remember I can do all things through Christ who strengthen's me. Your doing this for the glory of God trust him and you will know what to do. If you believe onto your Lord Jesus Christ your words will be like music onto God. Amen and Congratulations on taking up your cross. We are beside you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts