Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With every passing car, I feel like the occupants are looking at me. It's hard to tell how many people are in a car, it's as if every car represents at least one or two people, staring together. This becomes even worse when cars stop, or when I'm crossing the road in front of cars. Anyone else feel like this?

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
I get this all the time, i always try to walk as far away from the side of the road as i can in the hopes they won't see me. If I'm walking on side streets and i see a car driving towards me (I always walk against traffic, I hate cars driving behind me where i can't see what they're doing), I cross the road as well so i can get further away from them. On main roads it's to much effort.

·
Brand New Day
151 Posts
I feel that too! When I'm waiting on the bus, I usually turn my back to street, hoping no one veers off the road and runs me over. It's better than facing the street and looking like I'm on display. Then there are the freaks who toot the horn, whistle, shout our whatever out the car, which makes me really uneasy.

·
bye
810 Posts
Yes, yes, and yes! I absolutely hate crossing the sidewalk, i try to do it as calmly but quickly as i can.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i know exactly what you mean, i go through the same thing. everytime im in a car i feel like everyone around me is looking at me. so i end up trying to look away and feeling really nervous the whole time. but at least you can actually walk on the sidewalk, your one step ahead of me in that sense because i completely avoid doing that.

·
Sooo..come here often?
204 Posts
With every passing car, I feel like the occupants are looking at me. It's hard to tell how many people are in a car, it's as if every car represents at least one or two people, staring together. This becomes even worse when cars stop, or when I'm crossing the road in front of cars. Anyone else feel like this?
Look at it from their point of view. If you are traveling in a car, do you actually stare at people standing or walking next to the road? If you do, what goes through your mind and if you're standing at a traffic light and someone passes by in front of the car, how do you react? Stare? What goes through your mind then?

Sometimes we tend to think that everybody's staring at us, while in reality it may only literally be one person, for a very, very brief moment (like two seconds maybe) and they don't think badly of you. They are merely taking in what's going on around them;)

I also feel very exposed and uncomfortable crossing the street in front of cars for that exact reason. I just try not to look their way and walk as fast as possible to get to where I want to be. I also have a fear of going into take-away restaurants. If they have a drive-thru, I use that instead, even if it'll take me longer than it would take to go inside. Just feel "safe" in the car. And it seems weird to others, but we have a McDonald's literally across the road from my place of work and I never walk there. I drive there...Because don't want to be stared at by people when I cross the street, and same thing when I'm inside...

·
Clever Status Title
1,049 Posts
:teeth

People do stare at others walking. I do it while driving, it just naturally you shift your focus over at people. Which is why I hate being outside.
Only if they have a nice badonkadonk, otherwise I fly right by, more than not I'm looking for cops in vests and cruisers.. People that wear the same reflective vests as cops should not be allowed to use roads.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
God I have the exact opposite. When I'm driving it feels like everyone walking is starting at ME. Which is why I'm getting my windows tinted

·
Quag filante
8,709 Posts
Yes, I definitely know what you mean. I have kinda bad SA when driving, but somehow I manage to get through it. Whenever cars pass by, I feel like they are watching me. I can't seem to get over it. It's been like this ever since I started high school in the 12th grade.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts