Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am really short, about 5'1, and I get mistaken for being like 14 all the time. I don't mind it so much, getting carded and such doesn't bother me, but when people don't respect me because of my height I get really frustrated. Since summer has started all the kids are out from school and wandering around my neighborhood and the local mall. They fill up the buses and are just generally annoying. Seeing as an average 6th grader is taller than me, they often mistake me for being their age. This means they think they can talk to me like I'm in school with them or something! They taunt me which is just bloody annoying. Their juvenile "insults" don't hurt me because, gasp, I'm twenty years old and a little beyond them. But it really makes me anxious and gets my heart beating quickly, it is just so annoying! I can't walk down the block without encountering a horde of them marching down the sidewalk like they own it. I don't like being humiliated by 11 year olds in front of my neighbors, but what can I possibly do other than kick their *** to get them to close their dirty little mouths? I mean really, if I sit them down and explain to them that I am 20 I doubt they'd care. Is it our job as adults to ignore them and let them continue on being dip****s? Or is there a way we can fight back without getting into trouble with the law? Sigh, it'd be nice not to get harassed by little people in my own neighborhood. I really need to move, this area is so crowded with families, they're all very irritating.

·
Here, there & everywhere
233 Posts
Hah! I win! I'm 5'0" xD

I don't mind the short jokes, though. I just hate getting made fun of for being pale. :/ People pick at others for the dumbest things...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hah! I win! I'm 5'0" xD

I don't mind the short jokes, though. I just hate getting made fun of for being pale. :/ People pick at others for the dumbest things...
Haha, I am freakishly pale! Nobody has really made fun of me for it, though... Well, except a bunch of ********, but who cares what they think? XD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh wow, can I ever relate. I am short as well and being a man, it has it's own set of challenges since shorter men rarely get respect. Then of course if you are assertive, you get accused of having Short Man's Complex or Napoleon Complex. Since I was young, l've been picked on constantly. So when I got older, I learned how to fight through boxing and marital arts and got very strong from weightlifting, now if someone does cross the line, it ends up being a mistake for them. But that's not my concern, what I hate is that because I am smaller, it still occurs because I don't "look" threatening. It's a never-ending battle, I rarely can go out somewhere at night without ending up with some kind of problem, just because I'm an easy-looking target. This is especially not desireable if I am out with a friend or spouse. And to be honest, it gets old dealing with every person, but I don't like to back down from anything or let anything go. Bottom line is you can't battle ever single person that messes with you, it just doesn't work and it only brings you down. Believe me, I've tried it, I've gotten physical more times than I can count because I was tired of being disrespected when I was minding my own business, because I was short. So when I can now, I try to swallow my nerves and calmly and politely walk up to whoever made the comment (that alone usually suprises them) and I ask them what they said (pretending not to hear it completely), sometimes they say "nothing", sometimes they will repeat it. If they do, I'll put them on the spot and plainly ask "why would you say something like that?" and let them know that it is childish to disrespect someone based on a physical characterisic. Many times they end up feeling foolish, especially in front of their friends. Sometimes they continue with the comments and really, I can't do much about that. I'll just shake my head and tell them they really need to grow up and go about my business. Don't get me wrong, it isn't easy to maintain control always and I do snap on occassion because it just makes me so mad that someone thinks they have to right to pick on someone else that was simply minding their own business. If I see someone else being picked on, it makes me even more angry and I will always stick up for that person. I wish I had better advice, but honestly this is what us short people have to deal with. It isn't fair and it isn't right, but what choice do we have? We can't control the other people, only our response to their actions. I wish I could be there to help you, I do feel for you and your situation.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I really don't mind being short. I'm 5'1" and it makes airplane travel a lot more comfortable.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
I'd love to be 5'1, I'm 4'8. I always used to get picked on about it but I didn't really care. I hate the fact that no one will take me seriously at this height.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
you can try changing the way you dress to make yourself look mature.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm 5'4" and a guy, so have it way worse. You come to accept it after a while since you can't do anything short of operation (breaking bones a few millimetres at a time), and I refuse to do that. For the most part, I just joke it off.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Muggsy Bogues is 5'3'' and plays in the NBA. height doesn't make a person, the person makes the height.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think i beat you all I'm 4"10. And I struggled with body dysmorphic disorder since I was in Junior high. I'm now 18, and I'm always mistaken for a 13/14 yearold. I wish I looked older, but this is the body God gave me. I've been through a lot of trauma because I have some serious self esteem issues with my height. I'm getting better - I'm getting there. Either way theres nothing you can do about it, so might as well accept it. I feel your rage and if you ever need to talk email me at [email protected]. I hate being underestimated, being short doesn't mean you're weak either! I hate that misconception. I'm a pretty tough cookie and I can kick anyones *** that has to say something about my height =). But remeber God gave you a body, and body all your own. appreciate it, embrace it, and accept it. I know I have a way to go but I'm getting there. Good Luckkkk. And in the meantime, try not to let little twirp's iggnorance get you down. you are who you are for a reason, they've got a problem? Tough luck for themmm. Peaceee girllll. <x3

·
Registered
439 Posts
Turn into a Super Saiyan and kick their asses!
Whoa, nostalgia trip..

I'm 5'5.5. I refuse to admit that I'm really 5'5 and I can only reach 5'6 with shoes on. It's really disconcerting seeing girls taller than I am. I also dislike how some people say they're, let's say, 5'10, and they complain that they're short.

If people can't respect you for your height then.. I say kick them in the shins, or just insult their maturity level. Bruised shins are better than a bruised ego, in my opinion. :yes

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
I'm wish people wouldn't think that I'm weak because of my height. I am physically weak, but I don't think that being taller would change that. But it would change people's perception of me.

·
Dude
604 Posts
haha where have all you short people been hiding?

I'm 5 ft 2". I can look as young as 12 and old as 19, or so friends have said. I was once walking to school, and some old guy came up to me and asked me why I was going to school (elementary) because school was closed that day. He just stopped talking and walked awakwardly away after he found out how old I was lol. I actually love being short, accept it and don't demand respect.

I think it would be best to tell them you were 20 before they get too use to thinking you are a kid. They probably being friendly and showing off to peers but might change once they know you are 20. I would tell them to respect their elders. This cracks up kids for some reason. But just laugh it off and be friendly and I think they'll end up liking you.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts