Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NY and am on Social Security Disability. I do not work or drive (partly why i'm on SSI), and I finished going to College. My only income is from SSI, and I have health insurance from them as well. I have social anxiety, agoraphobia, and ADHD just to let you know in case it helps answer my question.

I heard from other people in my state who are on SSI that at least one of them was able to move out of there house, and not have to pay anything to move out. (they did this through SSI) Being they now live alone, they got a raise in their monthly SSI total, have transportation provided to drive them anywhere they need to go from SSI, and do not have to work. I assume there only responsibility is to keep the place clean and know how to spend there money wisely on food and if they go to school to make sure to get up early enough to be on time. I do not know if they got a house,apt, or group home?

Has anyone heard about this, because I want to move out of my parents house, but i'll never be able to afford to move without working or driving (part of my disability basically), and I dont think I can handle the responsibility being fully on my own without anyone's help. (if I moved out with help from SSI) I actually want to move out of state far away from here, thats my goal but that seems impossible right now.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm having family problems and want to move out, whatever means possible I need to use i'm going to use, if SSI can help me do that then so be it, sometimes the easy way is the only way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sad to say, but I don't think anyone off of a web forum will be able to help you with this properly. This sounds like something you would actually have to talk to the good people of SSI (I made a funny! haha), and figure out how to do on your own.

I've seen this done as well. Someone living on their own with SSI in an apartment for instance, but most of the time you're going to hear opposition to even being on SSI in the first place. Why? Because your state doesn't want to have to pay for you.
People on SSI are usually looked down on anyway in general. There's just something about mental disabilities the rest of "normal" society can't understand. It can be crippling. In the end all anyone cares about is money. Nevermind what the service is for to begin with.

So best advice? Talk to the people from SSI about it. Bring in help from your doctors as well if you find it necessary.

In a world that doesn't support you sometimes you have to take things head on.

Here's something that I think might help you a little more.
http://ssa.gov/pubs/11146.html

A shame I'm a year too late to be posting this heh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts