Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might be too specific but i just wanted to know if anyone could relate to anyything im abt to write lol. if you dont wana read it just look at the boldd. so at workk theres this one girl i got "close" w and i told her my situationn & that im shyy and stuff. she helps me w my personal stuff and gives me advice and i really appreciate her bc im going through a rough patch. she still doesnt know me too well as a person though (still thinks im quiet and innocent). shes one of those people that are friends w everyyyyyone, which is fine good for her but shell ask me to go somewhere w her and ill go then she'll just go around talking to everyone while im akwardly quiet. the last time she tried to do it i didnt go along w it and told her i was guna go to the ER & help someone (co-worker) & she said "i guess im not good enough" to the person she was talking to.
anywayy she mocks me, alot. it makes me feel very uncomfortable. like when i do contribute when were in a group of 4 people talking :l (which takes a lot for me to say anything) the other people enjoy what i said n when theyre about to respond shell laugh and mock what i said n shell say "ur the cutest little thing" wtf? like shell put me on the spot like that and i hate it. & when she asks me i question & i say yeaaa shell mock the way i say it and laugh. no one else has a problem w the way i say it lol.
im an awkward person & im open about it w people & ill laugh it off. i rather them know i know im awkward then them just think i am. we were talking abt wrapping up EKG wires w another coworker & i was like "im little too awkward for that" & she was like "A LITTLE?!" ... wtf. & the other coworker seemed to think it was harsh & ignored her and said "i used to have issues w that too lol"

i feel like i try so hard to function normally and socialize day to day and shes just setting me back. i feel like i owe her a lot since shes helped me so much but shes bringing me down. i dont want the moral of the story to be dont let anyone see your weaknesses bc theyll only use it against you. i think its very important to form relationships and learn to break down ur walls w SA.

its harder to be made fun of by someone you thought was your friend, even if shes joking it really hurts my feelings. have u guys ever been mocked by someone? does anyone have a way to deal w it or advice on what to say? i dont even know if she means well at this point lol.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Try to separate yourself from her. Or just talk to her less. Try to be around people that benefit you and support you. Don't act like it bothers you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
f my life... about 80% of my friends from high school... I was always there but the quiet one. Then one incident came up where my friend's dad backed into my car then they all took this guy's side. They all hung out and left me to dry and ignored my calls etc. It happens to me a lot though, I rarely get mocked to the face but everyone loves to say things when I'm not there, perhaps b/c I am a nice guy deep down and they see it so at least they wait till I'm gone.

This one guy I used to work with at a car dealership gave me crap since day 1 and knew that I hated his guts but kept doing it. I think he was jealous of my crappy car and the attention it got with co-workers haha... That girl at your work might be jealous that even though you say so little, what you say is agreeable to your other co-workers while she's trying sooo hard to be everyone's friend. Food for thought. Keep doing it and anger her in a passive way, it's the least she deserves if that's what she's getting at!

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
Your friend may not realize that her behaviour is upsetting for you. Would it be possible for you to talk to her about it? (Giving her a couple of specific examples). At least that would be a way of giving her the benefit of the doubt. It would be good to heal a friendship that was previously good. Sometimes people who behave like that are envious of the other person (you in this case) which might explain her reaction when other people were expressing a positive interest in you. Good luck & take care.

·
Smexy
3,551 Posts
I worked at a bank for a year and mostly everyone liked me. Then one day we got a new hire and he was this big, chubby bully type of guy. He was super loud and outgoing and on his first day started picking on me. He would say things like, "you okay there big guy" in a condescending tone. But instead of brushing it off, laughing about it, or hitting him with a comeback, I would usually seem apprehensive. That only made things worse. He would just keep on doing it to try to get a rise out of me.

After a few months, I sort of realized that that's just the way he is to everybody. It's part of his sense of humor. One day I just stopped acting so offended by him. I was feeling confident and it was the last hour of my shift. He was helping a customer and then he fumbled and dropped a few rolls of quarters on the ground and they scattered everywhere. I immediately said out loud, "Nice one bro" like a jackass, and he turned red and burst out laughing. He said his customer was laughing at what I said. For a moment it felt like I was the bully and he was the victim, and it felt amazing.

After that I opened up more with him and we became friends at work. Sometimes people just want you to be on the same wavelength as them. The ones that make fun of you LOVE it when you make fun of them. It's how they connect.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
i would not know how to deal with that. that kind of behavior sounds very familiar to me and it sounds so wrong :(. she is taking advantage of your insecurities... to be cool? but it's not even working because no one is responding to her mocking you / making you intentionally uncomfortable? if the other people are nice people maybe they would support you. i mean imagine if you tell her not to treat you like that and that it is hurtful and a big deal. then what happens? does she leave you alone but exclude you from eating with her and the other ppl, do the other ppl leave her and ask to eat with you, does she keep mocking you?? i would think she would probably stop, but the chance of it escalating is a serious risk even if it is kind of small. the standing up for yourself stories promulgated on the internet tend to work so well and have probably clouded my judgement so if i was to give advice it would probably be in that direction.

I worked at a bank for a year and mostly everyone liked me. Then one day we got a new hire and he was this big, chubby bully type of guy. He was super loud and outgoing and on his first day started picking on me. He would say things like, "you okay there big guy" in a condescending tone. But instead of brushing it off, laughing about it, or hitting him with a comeback, I would usually seem apprehensive. That only made things worse. He would just keep on doing it to try to get a rise out of me.

After a few months, I sort of realized that that's just the way he is to everybody. It's part of his sense of humor. One day I just stopped acting so offended by him. I was feeling confident and it was the last hour of my shift. He was helping a customer and then he fumbled and dropped a few rolls of quarters on the ground and they scattered everywhere. I immediately said out loud, "Nice one bro" like a jackass, and he turned red and burst out laughing. He said his customer was laughing at what I said. For a moment it felt like I was the bully and he was the victim, and it felt amazing.

After that I opened up more with him and we became friends at work. Sometimes people just want you to be on the same wavelength as them. The ones that make fun of you LOVE it when you make fun of them. It's how they connect.
wow good story. it's like a parable thing where the story illustrates a lesson. the insightful part at the end is nice.

·
Learning
461 Posts
Keep doing it and anger her in a passive way, it's the least she deserves if that's what she's getting at!
Defiantly not this. I really doubt a passive-aggressive attitude could do anything but make interactions worse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you think about it though, It's only passive aggressive b/c she knows what she's doing. But to everyone else she's just talking. It's like having a taste of her own medicine while making your bonds with other co-workers stronger. I mean you're only talking, nothing wrong with that. Hopefully it teaches her a lesson w/o having to muster the courage to talk to her about it

·
Tell me more
1,782 Posts
Some people especially the outgoing ones and the ones who love to joke around often do and say these kind of things but they don't mean any harm. I have many co-workers like that who do tease me a lot but if I don't get offended, then the mood never gets sour. I try to joke back with them and it builds on our relationships and makes the workplace much more lively and fun. Try not to think of them as having ulterior motives because most likely, they aren't out to hurt you or anything. She may have said some things that you find offensive but I'm pretty sure she never meant to hurt you; I think its a part of her personality to speak before she thinks, especially speaking about things in a straightforward, joking way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts