Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips/methods on how to strengthen my voice so that when I talk to people they can hear and understand what I am saying. Its so frustrating getting up the courage to talk to people only for them to say they couldn't hear what you just said, or worse, don't acknowledge that you've said anything at all.

I think part of why I mumble is because i'm afraid of being overheard by anyone else, and partly because i've spoken so little in the past, that my voice hasn't properly developed.

Any/all ways of improving my speech would be greatly appreciated :) (unless its something like join Toastmasters - as i've seen recommended elsewhere - that would be far too nerve-wracking :no)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
when you are home alone or in the car talk randomly to yourself/sing along to a song alot louder then you normally do. other then that idk. i have this problem some days.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I do sing along to music when i'm driving, but I think they say singing uses a different part of the brain to speech, so I don't know if it will help with my speaking.

The problem is that as i'm used to the level of my voice I think i'm talking at a reasonable level, although to other people its obviously barely audible. The only person who can hear me properly when I talk is my younger brother as he mumbles as well, and as we grew up together we're used to each other talking like this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm the opposite. I shout when I'm conversing with someone and I'm nervous about it, leaving me feeling incredibly stupid afterwards.

Not that this information will be of much help to you. But at least you can remind yourself that mumbling doesn't draw extra, unwanted attention to yourself.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Adjusting your posture can help. For example, straightening your body and keeping your head level and not slightly down. The main issue seems related to anxiety about being heard, and therefore speaking quietly would be largely a safety behaviour. In such cases, it is usually advised that safety behaviours be challenged by doing the opposite (i.e., not trying to hide the voice and just letting it all hang out). This in turn decreases the anxiety a little, which in turn makes speaking easier.

For example, if I'm self-conscious about lisping and try to speak differently to conceal it, it only results in more anxiety and more difficulty with speech. But if I drop that safety behaviour by reasoning that I have little control over a lisp anyway, and letting that aspect of my speech just hang out/show, the drop in anxiety results in more relaxed speech.

The safety behaviours (e.g., speaking more quietly) and anxiety (e.g., about what others might think when they overhear you) reinforce each other as part of some feedback loop, so this loop needs to be broken somewhere.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Clear your throat first. Can help if you haven't spoken for a few hours.
At work I have a few phrases I can say loudly that I have practiced and I can draw on this if I do a new temp job and have to greet people or speak on the phone. It takes a few attempts to get to this louder point and I'm quite unsure of myself and can't do other tasks like use the computer at the same time, or remember information! From what other people have said I am doing OK at the start as I am new and they all do the same things like freeze and forget sometimes and they don't have any social anxiety!
I sometimes tell myself I will look less stupid if I talk slightly louder the first time rather than having to be asked to repeat myself then thinking what I said was stupid anyway and not wanting to repeat. I always forget that I am quiet and get fustrated when I am told to repeat myself or told it's a bad line on the telephone.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Umm IF you have a tendency to have a nasaly voice sometimes (like me), concsiously attempt to generate your voice from lower down in your throat. A bit hard to explain for me. A speech coach could help if you find a cheap one and you seriously think you need to improve your voice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts