Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a job at JCPenney several months ago but I stopped back in January because it was a seasonal employment period and I was just a temporary worker there. That job was stressful because of the anxiety of communicating with your coworkers, having to help customers, and trying to have a happy demeanor.

I was so relieved when that job ended. I thought I was going to stay forever and that really frightened me. I live with my parents (I'm 19) and they do not know that I have anxiety around people, they just think I'm shy. These past 5 months I've been trying to get jobs as a computer programmer but to no avail. It's the job I really want to have because 1) I love programming; and 2) being socially inept is pretty normal for programmers and I'd fit in.

I've gotten job offers from many people but they say that since I don't have any professional experience programming that they can't accept me. That's why I really want to go to college. Preferably go away to college.

Anyway, now I have to go back. My parents are forcing me to go to this job fair at the local community center. There's absolutely no getting out of it, my parents wouldn't care if I came or abs said I have social anxiety. My mom for asking with whatever my dad says and my dad only gives a s*** about me if there's something to be proud of (like me having a job). Besides, he wouldn't understand. He'd just call me a baby and to "grow up".

What do you think about this? I'm petrified of going back and having to be around ignorant and obnoxious teenagers and social people. Leave anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's so hard. Retail (or similar) jobs are the most abundant because no one wants them. Even people without social anxiety think they're awful, but it's even worse for people like us.

But I'll admit, I've had good and bad retail jobs. It's all about the coworkers. Maybe you could ask about the "workplace culture" or something during an interview to try and get a feel for how the people are. And with the obnoxious people that you'll inevitably encounter, sometimes all you have to do is tell them off or stand up for yourself one time and they back off. But think of having a job as a way to go back to school ... a retail type job probably wouldn't pay for a 4 year college, but look at a community one. At least it would get you the credentials employers are looking for

1 - 2 of 2 Posts