Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like my friends are only around because I'm the best they can get. It seems like once my friends strive for some self-improvement (i.e., career advancement, working out, etc), they slowly sort of phase me out of their lives. At least, I feel like this is what my friends are doing now.

I think this fear goes back to when my best friend in middle school became better-looking and hit a growth spurt and left us in his old friend group behind to hang out with "jock" types. Now, as my friends are getting older, I feel like they're pushing me away because they see that they can do better. Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Can I relate? Are you kidding me I feel abandoned by most of the friends I have ever had, in fact one recently abandoned me a few days ago. I thought of starting a thread like this but decided not to. It's a terrible feeling being abandoned by people you felt closes to.

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
That's rough. I've been abandoned by "friends" :?. It sucks. If they were in my shoes they would feel the same way, but they're not in my shoes so what does that matter :roll. Try to keep in touch and stay in contact with them. If they don't respond or clearly don't want to stay in contact with you, **** em'. Who needs friends that will abandon you when they can "do better" anyway right?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's worse about this is that I feel this way about friends even when I don't have a lot of reason to feel this way. I feel this way about people I've been friends with for over a decade. I'm just afraid of and always on the lookout for potential abandonment, and I wish I could make that feeling go away.

Sorry to hear that you guys have had to go through this too

·
Registered
703 Posts
What's worse about this is that I feel this way about friends even when I don't have a lot of reason to feel this way. I feel this way about people I've been friends with for over a decade. I'm just afraid of and always on the lookout for potential abandonment, and I wish I could make that feeling go away.

Sorry to hear that you guys have had to go through this too
Again I feel the same way. I have been abandoned so many times by friends that I just can't help but assume that is what's happening. I wish none of us went through this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.