Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new foster mom. We are planning to adopt. I've been finding my anxiety is at an all-time high because there are so many new social situations being a mom. I'm really struggling to believe I am even worthy or capable of doing this. I so badly want to get over it. I try to put myself in situations anyway even though I am extremely anxious. Anyone else struggle with parenting with anxiety, and any tips to overcome? I have very little support right now. Thanks!!

·
208 Posts
I'm a new foster mom. We are planning to adopt. I've been finding my anxiety is at an all-time high because there are so many new social situations being a mom. I'm really struggling to believe I am even worthy or capable of doing this. I so badly want to get over it. I try to put myself in situations anyway even though I am extremely anxious. Anyone else struggle with parenting with anxiety, and any tips to overcome? I have very little support right now. Thanks!!
hi there, I’m a mother too and I think anyone that takes on parenting in anyway shape or form deserves a metal to be honest. Nothing will bring you highs and lows like it and it’s such a commitment especially when dealing with your own issues too. I try take one day at a time and make sure I don’t forget that I need to look after me too. I wish you all the best and remember to find what brings you happiness and make sure you include that in your journey too!

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
I understand how you feel, and it's the exact reason I decided to log on to SAS for the first time in a few years. My wife is pregnant and I'm all ready starting to feel elevated anxiety levels. Thinking of all the new social situations and expectations that come along with being a parent is pretty scary to think about.

However, I think it's also a great opportunity to become more comfortable socially. Having children will force us out of our comfort zone in so many ways. We will meet new people and parenting will be something that we will have in common with others. Just think of how often people talk about their kids, it's great for conversation and it's something that people are really passionate about. Starting a family almost feels like a fresh start to me, and I hope it will be for you too. Like with your spouse, you will become completely comfortable with your child. I feel like the more people you can become truly comfortable with the more likely you are to start to become more comfortable with others.

I wish you the best, and props for making the decision despite your anxiety. The fact that you chose to adopt knowing you have anxiety tells me that deep down you're ready and will do a great job.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,840 Posts
At some point, I stopped caring what other people thought and focused on what my kids thought. They think I'm doing a good job, they may be misguided.. I can forgive them for that, they are just teenagers at this point 🙃 I'm just glad that I have their approval, it is what matters most to me.

But yeah, initially the anxiety was nearly unbearable. The judgement from others was horrific, I always felt I was doing the wrong thing and I was the worst human on the world for having them because I could never meet the expectations of others. There are people out there, who will judge you, no doubt. At some point, you just have to go to the source, your own kids, and gauge how well you are doing according to them. We can never measure up to the expectations of everyone, it is impossible. What we can do, is measure up to those who are most important to us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts