Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone here recommend a good beginners book for bodybuilding and nutrition? I've read that Starting Strength and Beyond Brawn are good, any suggestions? Particularly for someone in their 30's?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Can anyone here recommend a good beginners book for bodybuilding and nutrition? I've read that Starting Strength and Beyond Brawn are good, any suggestions? Particularly for someone in their 30's?
without doubt ''body for life '' by bill phillips.

so simple and straight forward. no counting calories. only workout for less than 4 hours per week. eat what ever you want one day per week

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to compete and still train I am a certified personal trainer ..The best way to see quick gains is do basic movements like Squat,Bench,Deadlift and Military press..4 sets of 10 -12 reps and only work each body part twice a week. Eat plenty of protein and clean carbs and you will be fine..

·
Banned
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to compete and still train I am a certified personal trainer ..The best way to see quick gains is do basic movements like Squat,Bench,Deadlift and Military press..4 sets of 10 -12 reps and only work each body part twice a week. Eat plenty of protein and clean carbs and you will be fine..
One concern I have is that I've had two inguinal hernia repairs in my past (last one was 7 years ago), so I'm really reluctant to do squats or deadlifts. Have you had to train anyone with this issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
One concern I have is that I've had two inguinal hernia repairs in my past (last one was 7 years ago), so I'm really reluctant to do squats or deadlifts. Have you had to train anyone with this issue?
Be very careful in that case I would forget the deadlifts and squats. Bench pressing will be fine and any movement where you back is supported. Lunges with dumbbells instead of squats and I would do chin ups with just your bodyweight for back. I love chin ups and they are not easy if you do them right. Remember it's not how much weight you can lift but using proper form and breathing is more important. Good luck

·
Banned
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be very careful in that case I would forget the deadlifts and squats. Bench pressing will be fine and any movement where you back is supported. Lunges with dumbbells instead of squats and I would do chin ups with just your bodyweight for back. I love chin ups and they are not easy if you do them right. Remember it's not how much weight you can lift but using proper form and breathing is more important. Good luck
I'm kind of reluctant to do lunges to, I was thinking a leg press machine might be a good option. But it sounds like the compound movements are the best for the beginner. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've come across a lot of people that swear by this book, but at the same time, many people think his workouts are too advanced for a beginner. What do you think?
I worked out that way for a few years. In the beginning it might be okay, but over the long-term, it's too much volume, too frequent workouts. If you're on steroids, it might be okay. If not, it isn't necessary and is overkill, in the long term, in my opinion. I think "Beyond Brawn" is a more reasonable approach except I'm not a fan of deadlifts and squats. Personally, I've gained best with brief and infrequent workouts that are "intense". That and being anal about my diet. I'm biased toward the paleo-diet like approach but it's hard to follow because most foods sold around us are so highly processed/refined (high in calories, low in nutrients and addictive).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Starting Strength (or the very similar program StrongLifts) isn't really a body-building program. These programs are mainly geared toward strength and power-lifting. You'll gain some natural size but not like a body-builder does.

I started on StrongLifts and have since adapted the program to more of a hybrid between StrongLifts and Starting Strength. The difference is that I do three sets of five reps vs five sets of five reps which got to be too much. Three sets just feels about right. I really like these programs because my strength went up drastically using just basic, total-body movements such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows and overhead press.

The hardest part of either program is getting the form down which is very, very important. You'll go up in weight pretty quickly so it's important to make sure you have proper form so you don't get injured. I found squats to be the hardest because you can injure your lower-back if if not done correctly. I'm squatting about 300lbs today, but a year ago I could barely do 115lbs properly. I had to start over a few times because whenever I approached 200lbs my back would hurt. I finally have the form down.

My advice to you is to consult a personal trainer who is familiar with power-lifting/strength training and who might also be familiar with Starting Strength or StrongLifts to work on the form of each exercise. Learning on your own will increase the time it takes to reach your goals. Even now I meet with a personal trainer once every month to do a form check.

·
Banned
10,815 Posts

·
Banned
8,077 Posts
The hardest part of either program is getting the form down which is very, very important. You'll go up in weight pretty quickly so it's important to make sure you have proper form so you don't get injured. I found squats to be the hardest because you can injure your lower-back if if not done correctly. I'm squatting about 300lbs today, but a year ago I could barely do 115lbs properly. I had to start over a few times because whenever I approached 200lbs my back would hurt. I finally have the form down.
Why I suggested Starting Strength.

It gets you started, you get some strength. You can start the bodybuilding stuff when you're ready, after you've gotten over the novice effect stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts