Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
❤️
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the library everyday at lunch and I see these loners everyday and I recognize them. At this point I know that they have no friends (at least during that lunch) and I really want to befriend them. But honestly I don't know how. I mean I'm not exactly a social butterfly myself so it's not easy for me to go up to them. But I could really use some friends myself but I'm having trouble with how I would talk to them. Most people are the ones who come up to me and talk. I'm never the one to go up and start a conversation. But now I feel like I'll need to if I wanna become their friend because obviously they're not going to come up to me.. How am I supposed to go up to them and start talking without making it awkward. I don't wanna make it obvious that I see them as a "loner" but at the same time I know that they could use a friend. Because sometimes when I'm sitting alone people would come up and bother me because they think I want to talk to someone. But I don't, I just like being alone.. So I don't want to make it awkward for those people if I decide to go and talk to them.

Like there's this cheerleader who always sits and eats by herself in the library and you would think that she's popular and has a lot of friends but she doesn't. I'm pretty sure something happened between her and her friends and now she's alone and I just feel so bad and I want to talk to her but even I'm too shy to do it. What would I even say? "Hi I always see you eating here alone. wanna be friends?" I feel like no matter what I say, they're going to think that that's basically what I'm saying. Because You don't just go up to a random person and start a convo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just go up to them and ask if you can sit next to them. Then just start with some small talk, and ask them a few questions about themselves. Don't overthink it.

·
Searching..error
120 Posts
Yep just approach and ask if they mind if you sit with them and then introduce yourself. I will tell you something first, though. Don't expect too much out of it. My first day in the lunch room last year (only place I cared about having somebody to be with because I didn't actually want friends) , I tried the "sit down first and somebody will join", but that didn't happen, so 15 minutes into lunch I saw another girl completely alone at an empty table. I asked if I could sit across from her, and she just kind of shrugged. Small talk didn't go anywhere ever so we both stopped trying. I didn't make a new friend and I don't even remember her name, but it was nice to just have somebody to sit with it. I would definitely try, but like I said, don't expect a lot out of it. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep just approach and ask if they mind if you sit with them and then introduce yourself. I will tell you something first, though. Don't expect too much out of it. My first day in the lunch room last year (only place I cared about having somebody to be with because I didn't actually want friends) , I tried the "sit down first and somebody will join", but that didn't happen so 15 minutes in to lunch I saw another girl completely alone at an empty table. I asked if I could sit across from her, and she just kind of shrugged. Small talk didn't go anywhere ever so we both stopped trying. I didn't make a new friend and I don't even remember her name, but it was nice to just have somebody to sit with it. I would definitely try, but like I said, don't expect a lot out of it. :)
Good point. A lot of people who are "loners" have social anxiety, so if that person isn't very talkative, it doesn't mean they dislike you, they just might have some problems themselves. Remember that, and don't get discouraged if things don't go as you want.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I wish there was a loner girl that was extremely pretty at my school but for some reason this is merely a fantasy.....I don't get it I need someone to love

1 - 6 of 6 Posts