Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is a title for a great book that my friend Rita gave me. (Rita is a member of my support group and a great friend). Sometimes when you feel like you can't take life anymore, and it's your darkest hour, if you just hang on a little longer, God will provide support in some way. That's what happened when Rita became my friend, gave me that book by Sam Obitz and then invited me into her support group. I recommend that book and finding a support group to anyone with anxety issues. It got to the point for me that I couldn't even look people in the eye when I would go to get ice cream or whatnot in public. I felt stressful even going to my car- the thoughts of what I had forgotten or that I was doomed to break down. Through Rita's group (and as suggested by Mr. Obitz in his book), I looked more into CBT and later got involved with it. I'm a believer! Take my advice-- buy that book and FIND A SUPPORT GROUP!

·
Banned
9 Posts
this privately published book is being advertised and promoted on several anxiety boards, the author is unknown and dosesnt say whether he suffered from any anxiety disorder
the book it seems, can only be bought on the net, its cheap and thin and I wouldnt expect to gain all that much from it, it may be a useful addition to your bookshelf though
I hope there wont be large number of posts advertising the book here

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
What results will come from reading this book?
The tools outlined in this book have been proven to alleviate even the most severe anxiety in less than 12-weeks.
:con These types of claims make me suspicious. Also, taking initiative from Arthurs post, doing a google search seems to bring up posts on other message boards praising this book, but not much other info about it. Just strange is all. You'd think, if there was a book as good as this one claims, it'd be very popular?

·
kept in His hands
1,334 Posts
I just bought this book and read it in one night. I really liked it. The author claims to have been in therapy for many years for his anxiety problems before he found one that could help him through CBT techniques. He outlines several CBT tools to use to recognize and combat our negative thinking patterns. I liked the book because it was an easy read and since the author has been there, done that, I felt he really knew what he was talking about. It doesn't bother me in the least that he chose, for whatever reason, to privately publish his book rather than going to a large book distributor.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Been there, Done that, Do this! For SAle

Hello,

I am selling this book for $9 that includes shipping. It is a good book, but I use other materials for my CBT therapy. Please email me at [email protected] if interested.

Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
arthur1234 said:
this privately published book is being advertised and promoted on several anxiety boards, the author is unknown and dosesnt say whether he suffered from any anxiety disorder
the book it seems, can only be bought on the net, its cheap and thin and I wouldnt expect to gain all that much from it, it may be a useful addition to your bookshelf though
I hope there wont be large number of posts advertising the book here
I was thinking the same thing. Posts about the Obitz book all reek of a promotional pitch and are never by established members. I bought the book and can say it's decent, but the "my life is absolutely great now, huge reversal stuff" is obviously, a huge stretch for any book.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I have to admit they have a good marketing plan, though. It fooled me for a while. Not to say it might not be a good book, but I'm not going to rush out and buy it now.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I bought the book and read it in two days. I think it's pretty good. It was worth the $16. I haven't tried the exercises in the book yet but I am eager to try them. I am just still a little confused on how to do them. I don't know if I am suppose to write down my negative thoughts right when I have them or if I am suppose to sit down at the end of the day and try and remember the negative thoughts that I had. That is the hard part for me right now, trying to figure out what negative thoughts I am having.

I would be interested in joining/starting some type of online support group for this book, just so that we can help each other with the exercises.

And no I'm not a promoter of the book. I was a skeptic but figured I could afford the $16 and it turned out to be a pretty decent book, now I just need to find out if the exercises really work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts