• Convention coil spring mattress

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Waveless waterbed

• Air mattress

• Futon

• A bed? They make me sleep on the floor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what sort of bed you all have. I've had a waterbed for the last 21 years. It seems like waterbeds sort of went out of style with the 1970s. The youngsters around here probably can't even remember the olden days when they had stores that sold nothing but waterbeds. It's a "real" waterbed -- just a big vinyl bag of water, not one of those waveless ones.

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
I sleep on a 30 year old bed with a 30 year old mattress that even one of those expensive foamy pad tops can't make comfy. Stupid crummy bed.. wish they'd let me buy a new one but noooo can't get rid of anything! It's my room I should be able to have just one piece of furniture I actually want in here!!! Er um what was the question again? :lol

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
I am still in a twin bed that I have been in since I was probably able to walk... ugh... I am hoping to get a full or queen bed at some point... that would be great... even if I just get a basic mattress with a memory foam topper... one can dream!

·
Registered
318 Posts
spring mattress

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Coil spring mattress

·
SAS Member
941 Posts
I have a daybed, (regular mattress) I love it. :)

When I was alot younger, I wanted a waterbed so bad. :lol Whenever I would visit someone who had one, I had to go flop down on it to try it out.
Wait a minute....last time I did that was just a year or so ago..... :um :popcorn

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wituckius said:
A water bed would be nice, but I'm afraid it would burst eventually, possibly destroying some of my possessions.
I haven't had a leak yet and it's been 21 years. Water beds do come with a plastic liner that is supposed to hopefully contain the water.

Just try not walking on it with your stiletto heels or golf spikes.

A waterbed has certain advantages.

1) Heater -- nice & toasty in winter.
2) Cheap -- should be as it's just a wooden box with a big bag of water.
3) Very comfortable. Once you go water, you can't go back. To me a regular mattress feels like a rock compared to the softness of floating.

Negatives: If you have a partner you may be thrown out of bed by a tidal wave when they move.

·
Allons-y!
2,011 Posts
I've got a rock hard coil spring mattress.

·
Potato
1,002 Posts
UltraShy said:
1) Heater -- nice & toasty in winter.
2) Cheap -- should be as it's just a wooden box with a big bag of water.
3) Very comfortable. Once you go water, you can't go back. To me a regular mattress feels like a rock compared to the softness of floating.

Negatives: If you have a partner you may be thrown out of bed by a tidal wave when they move.
I love my waterbed. I've had it for about 6 years now.

1) LOVE the heater. I have it on in the summer too because if there's no heat at all, I feel like I'm sleeping on ice

2) That's what mine is yup, box with the bag of water

3) Very comfy, and I don't want to go back to matress. I just melt away in there.

Tidal wave - in total agreeance. Mine isn't totally full, so there's always a huge air bubble if there's two people on it. One could literally be thrown off the side :lol

·
Potato
1,002 Posts
AnxiousAmelia said:
Isn't a waterbed a bit noisy: doesn't a waterbed make slooshing noises when you turn over?
Well I don't really turn over, so I wouldn't really know... I sleep on my back and pretty much stay there all night. But yeah, if you move from one side to the other, you can hear the water changing places for like 2 minutes, making farting sounds :lol

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
darkangel said:
AnxiousAmelia said:
Isn't a waterbed a bit noisy: doesn't a waterbed make slooshing noises when you turn over?
Well I don't really turn over, so I wouldn't really know... I sleep on my back and pretty much stay there all night. But yeah, if you move from one side to the other, you can hear the water changing places for like 2 minutes, making farting sounds :lol
Ooh, I don't think I'd like that. :lol

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a queen size bed, I literally stole from the "Husband" when I left........I want one of those foam beds.......

Most of the time I sleep on the couch though.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
AnxiousAmelia said:
Water tends to separate into it's constituents, hydrogen and oxygen. Periodically you open the valve and let the air out. This stops the sloshing noises. Aside from that, once you're used to sleeping on a waterbed, you don't notice it.

A heated bed is nice to crawl into in the winter. During the summer I keep mine right around 80 degrees which makes it comfortable but not hot. (A swimming pool at 80 feels cool. )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts