Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really understand why I do this, but sometimes I don't really respond to people, their questions or comments. Like, people will ask me a question and I just wont feel like answering and I'll sorta look around and just not talk. I'm confused by this, because I honestly don't know why I do it, it just happens. It really only happens with people I'm not comfortable talking to, but it's just such a weird thing to do.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It sounds like you just don't want to interact with them and that is your way of minimizing the interaction.
It's not that I don't want to interact with them. I feel bad later. I guess maybe it's kinda like losing the energy to interact with them and becoming too apathetic to continue responding.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
If somebody directly asks me a question I'll answer it (in as few words as possible), but otherwise I get what you're saying. It's not anxiety, a lot of the time I just don't care about making boring small talk to anybody and I'll ignore them until they get the message. Of course then people think I'm an ***hole and I hate them because obviously that's the only explanation...*shudder*. It pisses me off so ****ing bad. Maybe I'm just not in the mood to ****ing talk to you right now, stop being so god damn butthurt about it.

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
I don't know but the way I've been raised, that would be a very rude thing to do. I don't ignore people unless they have truly given me a reason to do so by say being offensive/nasty or keep bothering me even though I said I'm busy and can't talk right now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Because you are worried that your answer might set of a bad impression of you, as well as the way you answer.

Been there done that

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
It's not that I don't want to interact with them. I feel bad later. I guess maybe it's kinda like losing the energy to interact with them and becoming too apathetic to continue responding.
I experience this as well, especially lately, though for me it has more to do with interacting with people I'm comfortable with. There's lack of responding due to anxiety, and then there's this apathetic sort of thing, where merely summoning the motivation to respond seems like too much effort. :/

In fact I'm SO horrible with responding to anyone in the mornings--when I'm always in a foul mood and have just no energy whatsoever--that I've taken to shutting myself in my room for a few hours until I'm done with the Internet, and only then do I come out and start to interact. (I can't even stand the cats wandering in and out of my room at this period, thus the shut door.) The times I have to leave my room before then, like to fill the bird feeder or whatever, if someone says something to me I'll just grumble incoherently in response.

Granted, the above has partly to do with my energy level and mood, but even when those are okay there are occasions when I just don't feel like replying. This is usually when I've been asked or told something kind of combative or accusatory (by my parents, mainly). I see no point in replying as they won't like any response I give, so, I just say nothing. :blank

This isn't quite the same thing you're talking about, though I do know that feeling of, "Ugh, it isn't even worth working up the energy to respond!" Unfortunately, other people usually don't take this too well and feel slighted, with good reason. I've had to explain to my parents that in the mornings I just do not feel like talking, so they don't take offense.

On a tangent, I experience this online far more often, except in e-mails. There are so many people I want to reply to, but even if the anxiety wasn't involved, there's a lot of apathy after that to try to overcome. It just feels so much easier to not respond. Which sucks, since I have so few friends to start with, me not replying to them isn't helping matters any! :sigh

·
waiting to bloom
8,859 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking about this. About a week ago, a coworker made some kind of joke to me, but I didn't quite hear him. However, I was too tired and I would say anxious to respond, so I just kept walking past without acknowledging him. I didn't feel good about doing so, but that's what happened.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You seem to do it on this web site too...
When I don't respond on this website it's because the person I'm talking to started being needlessly hostile towards me. It's different than what I'm talking about in this thread.

·
Awesome.
884 Posts
When I don't respond on this website it's because the person I'm talking to started being needlessly hostile towards me. It's different than what I'm talking about in this thread.
I have twice responded to you in different threads in a completely non-hostile way, yet you don't respond. To each her own, but it's frustrating to the point that I generally avoid responding to any of your threads anymore.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have twice responded to you in different threads in a completely non-hostile way, yet you don't respond. To each her own, but it's frustrating to the point that I generally avoid responding to any of your threads anymore.
It's possible I misinterpreted you. I'm going to pm you so as not to derail this thread.

·
Banned
126 Posts
I think its better to tell them you're not feeling sociable at the moment, as opposed to remaining silent. For example even in my worst of moods (and I'm talking about moments when I was almost losing my mind) I at least dismissed people in a decent way.
You never know maybe they could feel offended or ashamed by the silence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts