Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so throughout my time with SA I always said in the back of my mind "I love people, I can't wait to have friends..." but now I think I am changing, not sure though. Most people I see in college are just people that I have no interest in knowing. They lack a serious connection with me, have conflicting personalities, I don't really know what it is exactly. I mean, Sure theres maybe 5/100 that I would like to be friends with but usually their the coolest people with the already established social circle... I don't have any problem with strangers, they are a blank canvas... but after I spend a few hours with the same people, I am all like "ahhhh I got to get of here, these people are boring." whats my problem:|? be honest...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know what your problem is because I don't know what my problem is either.

But maybe in college, there are so many people that you can't care about all of them so you just ignore them to focus on the ones you think would be better to be with.

Anyway, I'm 10 years older than you and I'm also bitter at people. I guess I'm jealous of the way some people seems to be happier than me or has it better than me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the same "problem." I only want company from the hottest of girls even though I understand it's nearly impossible to either get them to like me or have a strong long term relationship, mainly because of the strong competition from other guys and the girl knowing they can have pretty much anyone. Even on this forum the hottest people are going to have a **** ton more profile views and messages from others than unattractive people.

Here's some possibilities why we only want attention from the "best" people:

-we aren't as easily amused as others
-we only want what we can't have

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
I don't know, I don't think there's anything "wrong with you" besides having SA. If that's how you are then that's how you are :| (honest opinion). I'm the exact opposite of that actually, I don't want to be around those kinds of people because I've been around those people before and I've been in that circle. It's a whole lot of bull****, and I'm done with it, so I want people who I think are gonna be more honest, caring, sincere, and understanding. Not the coolest people or the most attractive people. And I'm not saying they're bad people. They could be great people. And if they approach me wanting to be my friend (lol, imagine that) I wouldn't turn them down, I'd treat them just like I'd treat anyone else. I would just rather not judge people like that and reject the less attractive, or less "cool" people for the cooler people.

And I completely understand you getting bored with people. That's completely normal, so that certainly doesn't suggest that there's anything wrong with you. It's cruel, but it's normal lol. When you're around the same people all the time it can get a little old, there's nothing wrong with feeling that way. In my opinion, rejecting them is mean, which is basically what you're doing. You have every right to do that, but I think it's mean, cause no one wants to be rejected. I'd suggest..... maybe introducing this person to a friend of yours and finding a common interest. That could spice things up maybe :stu.

·
Banned
46 Posts
No offense but you seem to project your problems/fear on others. By judgeing other to be boring etc you justify your lonelyness and being alone. I used to do that for years. Until I figured its not the others but me. If you get the chance to get close with one of those people mostly you will see these are decent people like you and me. Now I personally still dont have any interest in getting to know most of the people out there not because of them but because of my fear and disinterest.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the same "problem." I only want company from the hottest of girls even though I understand it's nearly impossible to either get them to like me or have a strong long term relationship, mainly because of the strong competition from other guys and the girl knowing they can have pretty much anyone. Even on this forum the hottest people are going to have a **** ton more profile views and messages from others than unattractive people.

Here's some possibilities why we only want attention from the "best" people:

-we aren't as easily amused as others
-we only want what we can't have
So you only consider the conventionally attractive girls the 'best' people? >_> Have you considered there might be a really awesome girl out there, a soul mate, that might not quite fit your standards physically? If you only focus on the physical, you're going to miss out on alot on life.

Maybe you'll grow out of it. I admit I was heavily focused on having a good looking guy, but when I started meeting guys who I had more in common with and connected with, over how they looked, I realized just what was more important with people and that you're missing out on the most lasting and interesting aspects of relationships.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So you only consider the conventionally attractive girls the 'best' people? >_> Have you considered there might be a really awesome girl out there, a soul mate, that might not quite fit your standards physically? If you only focus on the physical, you're going to miss out on alot on life.

Maybe you'll grow out of it. I admit I was heavily focused on having a good looking guy, but when I started meeting guys who I had more in common with and connected with, over how they looked, I realized just what was more important with people and that you're missing out on the most lasting and interesting aspects of relationships.
Sharing common interests, personality, and connecting with each other is the other part, yeah. But for some reason I have to be physically attracted to the girl as well. I think that recipe is common amongst others when looking for a partner. The difference is that I can't (unfortunately) be stimulated by anything less than all those factors being met, even if it's just for a friendship. It's not a conscious choice on my part...so don't beat me up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts