Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not as easy to "own" it like in my teens nowadays.

:(

Things change in adulthood and I'm not prepared for it.

I wasn't even prepared for my teen years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah I'm also overly demanding with myself and often get mad at myself more then am glad about things I do right. It's a process to get better at this and it's important to be consious of it. Good luck...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do the same thing SmokeGem - still relive old awkward moments in my life and cringe (and I am in my fifties). I only just discovered I have SA and am now on meds and in therapy so am starting the process, but I am hopeful. I think Brotherman is right about getting well being a process; a day at a time trying to see clearly what we're thinking/feeling so we can work through things.

Personally I have run from my feelings for a very long time so am finding it hard to face the fact that I do feel ashamed/humiliated/embarassed over "small moments of awkwardness" and am not quite the confident person I try to portray myself as. It makes me feel vulnerable, but I think it's my assessment that awkwardness makes me vulnerable and exposes something about my self that I need to rethink rather than shooting to be perfect in all that I do. I don't often pat myself on the back for the good things I accomplish either Brotherman, I expect that of myself, but oh those awkward moments and "failures" they do continue to haunt me.

It's great that we do have each other and can be open here - thanks for your post on this topic Smokegem.

Kizzie

·
Barbells and kittens
3,940 Posts
I'm the same way. Even little things like the cashier at the grocery store catching me off guard with a question I wasn't expecting and me fumbling over a simple response and I'll replay it in my head for the rest of the day and beat myself up over it.

SmokeGem got banned? That sucks. I'll miss the "How to be sarcastic?" threads.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Is she really banned? She didn't have an avatar to begin with. Hmm, what a shame, what could she possibly have done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts