Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Animated Film Buff
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completely by accident, I stumbled upon a website run maintained by a woman named Debra Schiman. She has Asperger's Syndrome, and she has a little backpack in the shape of a teddy bear that she "talks through" and uses to calm herself in noisy environments (she also has sensory difficulties).

Here's Debra and Bearsac's website - they even have a book!:

http://www.bearsac.com/index.htm

And here are some videos where Debra discusses Asperger's Syndrome and her relationship with Bearsac:

I may be in the minority on this, but I think what she does with Bearsac is kinda cute...granted, I might be a bit startled by her coming up to me with her bear at first, but in general, I think it's cute...nothing to be overly upset by. And if Bearsac helps her to feel more at ease when she experiences sensory overload, then she should do whatever works for her. I don't have Asperger's, but I have had some sensory problems during my life, and it's no walk in the park.

I don't do what she does with Bearsac with my own stuffed animals (not in public anyway), mostly bcuz of how encumbered by society's norms I am...and sometimes I find that unfortunate. :blank

I plan to order her book in the future, too. ;)

·
Registered
814 Posts
I just saw the first video. Very insightful.
If I crossed her in the street, and she said "hello" through Bearsac, the only reason I wouldn't reply would be that I'd be afraid I was being made fun of. Once I knew there was no malice in her actions, I'd have no problems saying "Hello Bersac!" in return. I'd definitely not be "schocked" :)eek that lady).
I wouldn't say it's cute, but it's endearing.

While on one hand I have no problems with alternative approaches to life, on the other hand I can't help but think it's an unfair burden on her.

She needs the bear to overcome her difficulties accepting reality, and I would never say she should do it in any other way (who am I to judge?), and my own shy self would be hypocritical to say that being accepted in society must always be the target of life. But at the same time, it feels deeply unjust. Now, that "schocked" lady may have been an extreme case, most people would simply be puzzled and keep going on their merry way, but why should Debra have to deal with it in the first place? What I find a bit sad is not her relationship with Bearsac, but the fact that she has to deal with people's reactions. I suspect that talking with random people through Bearsac is important to her, though, which makes it complicated.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I found this recipe on her website:

Teddy Bear Ignorers Stew

Ingredients
Gather 6 humans (from a train journey) that ignore teddy bears that talk to them. (Thameslink ignorers best). (remove any dentures).

60 gallons of stock made from 20 London Underground teddy bear ignorers brains, (25 if from the Northern line)

20 bulbs of garlic unpeeled

5 bottles of Jelly Baby Wine

1980s Dewberry Oil

The yolk of an ostrich egg

How
Peel off skin, and chopped into bite-sized pieces.

Marinate in 1980s Dewberry Oil and 1 bottle of Jelly Baby Wine. During omnibus edition of Eastenders.

Heat Jacuzzi to 220 degrees C, immersing human pieces and cooking for 1 hour with garlic and 4 bottles of Jelly Baby Wine.

Serve with rice or mashed potato (a conventional twist here for the more sane among you)

Dip paws/hands into beaten egg yolk before eating stew with paws/hands. Then eat off yolk, which by now would have cooked on your paw/hands.

(Serves many)

·
Registered
814 Posts
I found this recipe on her website:

"25 if from the Northern line"

I wonder, do skinnier people travel to High Barnet for some particular reason?

Anyway, I'm sure it's in jest. I've seen more videos of her, she doesn't seem like an evil person. She does get a lot of flack for speaking to people through Bearsac, though. A disproportionate amount of flack.

I'm growing less and less fond of the bear's name, though. I would've gone for Carrybear. Or Winnie-the-puppet? Teddy-bag?

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
I see a lot of myself in her, I have trouble finding and holding friendships and it's extremely difficult for me to be close to someone. I think I also appear eccentric to other people, I have a weird sense of style and wear animal ears and stuff.

I just want to do the things I like though and I don't think it's my fault if someone doesn't like it. I can't please everyone so I should just be myself and people that like me, like me.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this. I liked it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts