Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
James Doohan, who played engineer Montgomery Scott, the scrappy Scotsman who repeatedly gave the Starship Enterprise "all she's got" in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures, died Wednesday. He was 85.
While I've never been a full blown trekkie I remember watching old re-runs of Star Trek when I was younger. The characters I remember well were Captian Kirk, Spock, and Scotty. As of today Scotty is no longer with us :(
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00929.html

·
Registered
408 Posts
I guess his dilithium crystals couldn't take it anymore.

I actually thought he was already dead.

RIP Scotty.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doohan inspired the phrase "Beam me up, Scotty," although Capt. Kirk never issued that order until the fourth movie. He told his family he wanted his ashes blasted into space, Stevens said. Houston-based Space Services Inc., which specializes in space memorials, said it would send Doohan's remains, along with 125 others, aboard a rocket later this year.

Doohan will join "Star Trek" series creator Gene Roddenberry, whose ashes were launched into space six years after he died in 1991

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I wanna be shot into space when I die!

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Lonelyguy said:
Doohan inspired the phrase "Beam me up, Scotty," although Capt. Kirk never issued that order until the fourth movie. He told his family he wanted his ashes blasted into space, Stevens said. Houston-based Space Services Inc., which specializes in space memorials, said it would send Doohan's remains, along with 125 others, aboard a rocket later this year.

Doohan will join "Star Trek" series creator Gene Roddenberry, whose ashes were launched into space six years after he died in 1991
I want that when I am gone. I bet it cost lots of money. Probably not going to be able to do it on a Social Services salary. :lol

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Cryptolysergick said:
ShyViolet said:
Does anyone else find that a little disturbing... someone's remains floating around in space?
Yea, what if the ashes fly through the ozone layer and infect the nostrils of all the beings on earth and they become scottized!
:lol :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Gene Roddenbury's (the creator of Star Trek) remains were shot into space when he died.

My grandmother's sister was married to Gene Roddenbury's brother. I never met him though.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
From what I understand, it's not the complete remaines that are sent into space. Only a small vial of ashes. The average human reduces to about 10 lbs of ash and ground up bones. Way to expensive to send that much weight. Sending less than an ounce and the cost is distributed over all the people that are being sent. It's also a low earth orbit that decays quickly and burns up in the atmosphere.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Cincinnati radio station WEBN hosts a huge fireworks show every year on labor day weekend (the stations birthday). When Frank Wood, founder of WEBN, died a few years ago, they put his ashes in the first firework that was shot off that year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts