Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not really, I might look but I do that to anyone that is around me or in my view, other then that I could careless want other people do since it has no effect on me. Every one has there own problems, and for the people who do make fun of others there the ones that need to grow up and be looked at for being a @$$hole

barczyl* your right about that :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
You know, it isn't all that uncommon. I have seen it multiple times in multiple scenarios.

Sometimes parents want to do all the talking because maybe their child (young or old) is shy, it's also possible that the parent doesn't trust the child in telling the information because 1) They may not know it all. 2)They may not tell the whole story. 3) They want to know they can still be helpful and needed, even though you may not want them to say it because they are either embarrassing or you know you can do it yourself. 4) They may not think you can do it yourself.

I personally get my parents to go along sometimes, just to be like a back-up and make sure I didn't miss anything important, and so they also don't get lonely or sad about not being needed any more.

Most people have probably had it happen at least once or twice, so I see no problem in it.

·
Banned
1,918 Posts
My mom does that for me and I don't care (and I'm sure no one else cares), it's my parents' insurance and they have all the information and stuff. I have only went by myself once and it feels very awkward without my mom. And plus it's kinda nice to have someone actually caring about you.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You're 23, not 50. :stu

I don't see anything wrong or weird about it; I actually think it's nice that someone is willing to go with you. I doubt people will even give you a second glance, honestly. Especially at a hospital/dentist, where they're all [nervously] preoccupied with their own reasons for being there. And I'd think it's more common to see people at a hospital WITH someone than without, no matter their age or relation.

·
Banned
148 Posts
If you were on your 30's and up I would probably think that you'd have some sort of retardation, but since you are only 23 I would think you'd have overprotective parents. It's weird how SA wouldn't cross my mind.

Edit: I only read the dentist part .. FAIL.. if it were a hospital I wouldn't even notice, after all it's normal in those kind of situations. I guess the more "benign" the situation is, the more atention you'll get.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I agree with u phoelomek

I don't see anything wrong or weird about it; I actually think it's nice that someone is willing to go with you. I doubt people will even give you a second glance, honestly. Especially at a hospital/dentist, where they're all [nervously] preoccupied with their own reasons for being there. And I'd think it's more common to see people at a hospital WITH someone than without, no matter their age or relation.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
You know how hard it is to drive home by yourself after being under anesthesia or constant pain? Thats why you have parents help you out during those times. Why would I discriminate or make fun of them cause their with the parents at a hospital or any public place for that matter? Even when we're not our best, we still need help for the most basic of needs, what person that knows you better when you're not all there? Your parents.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It's pretty normal to see people bring some kind of "support" to the doctor or dentist- if only because the patient may be unsafe to drive after whatever procedure they're getting.

Not handling your own paperwork is a bit unusual though.

559 Posts
I wouldn't think much of it at all. Doesn't mean they look weird or anything is wrong with them. I think many people (should/will) understand that it happens...many times because parents like to be hands on like that...everyone knows many parents like to treat even their full grown child like a child relentlessly so I don't think anyone will immediately think this person is socially awkward, or retarded, or has SA at all. If they do they are clearly ignorant and have way too much time on their hands to be minding people's business like that. :b

·
Denizen of the Night
230 Posts
I'm 19 and I don't know $h!t about medical stuff, but my mom went to nursing school for a while so she always goes with me to the dentist or doctor. Plus she pays the bills so that's always good. If i had to go by myself I would probably not get the right stuff because apparently I forget about a lot of my symptoms when I go to the doc for something. Probably because I'm nervous about talking to him since I almost never get sick.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well when my mom took me to the hospital she had to do all the talking for me initially. But I had to answer all the assessment questions alone. She also came with me to my first doctors and counselor appointments. I also usually have a parent drive me to appointments to cause driving gives me a lot of anxiety. So I am in no position to judge.

·
banana enthusiast
7,079 Posts
I've asked myself this countless times. My parents were still coming to the haircut place to tell them how to cut my hair until I was 18. It was embarrassing but I didn't think I could handle telling the hairdresser myself. Sometimes they still take charge of stuff and do stuff like this for me, especially with financial stuff, and again it's embarrassing. (I live alone so it doesn't happen that often any more.) But I think at your age it's probably not such a big deal. A lot of people still live with their parents at that age and it's not such a big stretch to imagine their parents doing stuff like that for them.

·
avast ye landlubbers
2,055 Posts
I would look, and if they looked back I would smile and nod or say hello or acknowledge them in some manner, and then I would go back to reading or drawing or whatever I was doing.

Same way as I'd react to a patient walking in solo, in other words. I don't really care.

·
Registered
48 Posts
personally wouldnt even take note of it enough to realize wats going on. dont think it matters anyone can look odd to people whos point it is to observe others in critical fashion, but wats it really count for in the end if they do, nothin to u really.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Most of the time I wouldn't think about it. I'd be too consumed with my own life to think too much of others.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts

:ditto

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Hospital i wouldn't even notice. Dentist i'd just figure they had anxiety, I used to be terrified of the dentist, tons of people are its one of the most common phobias, I wouldn't even think twice or negatively.

·
Retired Bingo Cook
11,401 Posts
Maybe they are scared, It's not that uncommon for adults to be scared.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts