Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I shouldn't say "ex-sufferer" or make my name "overcameSA" because to be honest, I still feel the same inexplicable irrationalities on a day to day basis. My SA still exists...but I knew I had to come back and make a final appearance:

Some may remember me from years previous. My username was "bronco028" and I suffered from a case of SA that rocked my entire lifestyle. I was SA. SA was me. Search my previous posts...I made huge deals out of nothing; typical of an SAer. But something happened and I am seriously trying to figure it out. No medicine, no psychologist or other medical treatment seemed to help me. But it was like the lightbulb went on over that past year and a half. I learned to deal with SA and not let it rule my life. Don't get me wrong...I still feel nauseous when speaking in front of people. I still feel people judging me for simple day to day things. But I knew I had to come back and tell everyone to hold out hope for the future. My life since I last posted has dramatically changed. I forced myself into various situations that helped me deal with my SA better. I know it sounds weird...but I went to work as a camp counselor, I coached soccer, I spoke in church, I....yes, I did....I flirted with a guy at work and to my amazement, he asked me out, and one year later am engaged. Please do not read this and get depressed. I am writing this to give hope. It is almost as if for me I combined a sense of acceptance of my SA (I forgave myself for having virtually no friends and filled my time with other things like work and school) as well as forcing myself to be different than what I am usually used too. I am trying to really pin down the exact moment, the exact thing that has helped so I can share it with all of you. I am so happy now. I do the things I always wanted to do. Sometimes it is hard, so very very hard. Even smiling is still somewhat a struggle, but I get through it. Why? Because that is the way I am and I can't cure it. I have no other choice but to just accept my SA and be patient with myself. Get to know your limits and then push them a little each time (and when I say little, I mean little) baby steps people...baby steps.

So there it is...I am a success story. I know I have the ability to crash again, but I feel more optimistic that if/when that time comes, I will be able to pick myself up again and carry on. For once in my life, I actually feel normal, I feel a sense of accomplishment and freedom from being a slave to SA. I talk to other people, I actually *socialize.* And when I say something stupid or feel the judging eyes of other people I somehow am able to (most of the time lol) say to myself that I am being irrational, and quickly move onto something else. This support site has done wonders for me. Helping me know that I wasn't alone was one of the biggest eye-openers I have ever had. To all of my fellow SAers, continue to be optimistic and actually try no matter how difficult to think positively about yourself and about other people. You will see a difference.

--

·
Registered
492 Posts
Awesome, I feel you. I am on my way to where you are. I already see a significant change in me. From feeling that if i talked to someone or if something went wrong I would pass out to not feeling any of my phsyical symptom, and feeling okay when i say something stupid or someone doesn't seem to like me. It can happen, we can get to a point where we are happy with ourselves and our lives. sure we will always feel nervous but you know what so do most people but it isn't to the point of debilitation.
We can all make strides, your proof. thanks for sharing

·
Registered
8 Posts
i am so glad to hear that you were able to overcome your social anxiety fears and live life to the fullest.

i too went to a stage where i was able to overcome my social anxiety. that happened 1 year back. i got married meanwhile. but now after 8 months of marriage my husband threatens to leave me saying that there is something wrong in me and he has never been so unhappy ever in his life. i go to a psychiatrist once a week but whatever progress i make is ruined by his comments that there is nothing called social anxiety and i am supposed to face people even if i am having a panic attack. i had a very stressful experience last week when i just came back from a group setting and was forced to be in another immediately after it. i took too many drinks that day and passed out. my husband told me after that saying we should separate.

last night we made up, but the pressure to perform is so huge. i feel being bombarded by other's negative thoughts all the time especially my mother-in-law, she symbolizes my mother who was extremely critical of me all these years. even though she means no harm i become stiff in front of her. i am unable to speak, make any eye contact or form any meaningful relationship.

i feel suffocated and noone seems to understand that. i have lost hope in life. whether i will ever be a good mom?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome, I feel you. I am on my way to where you are. I already see a significant change in me. From feeling that if i talked to someone or if something went wrong I would pass out to not feeling any of my phsyical symptom, and feeling okay when i say something stupid or someone doesn't seem to like me. It can happen, we can get to a point where we are happy with ourselves and our lives. sure we will always feel nervous but you know what so do most people but it isn't to the point of debilitation.
We can all make strides, your proof. thanks for sharing
How did you reach that "Feeling okay" stage? Was it medication? Therapy?

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Huge congrats on overcoming your SA!

It shows that you can accomplish anything with a positive attitude. Accepting yourself, flaws and all, is a huge step in getting higher self-esteem. If you don't accept yourself with your flaws, you will not be likely to accept yourself once you make the changes you want to in life.

Again, congrats! Overcoming SA is a huge accomplishment. I bet you feel so much more free now :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts