Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's merely hours until this game is released.

So who's going to be playing this on PC? I already have it pre-loaded and am just waiting until 3AM to fire it up. The little soldier icon on my desktop has been taunting me for a couple of days now :b

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'm screwed until Wednesday, video card is still in transit. Should get delivered tomorrow, then all assembled and leak tested (watercooling) for most of the day.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Picking it up later on tonight at Gamestop. Supposedly there's gonna be a LAN Party for it too.

·
Pronouced Tech-Oh
199 Posts
If I decide to pick up, I'll be playing on PC as well. The BF3 trailers look epic, but the beta gameplay bored me to death. I know it's just a beta, but it kind of turned me off. I'm a CoD guy normally, so I'm used to more action I guess...but I do admit BF3 graphics > MW3.

·
huh
352 Posts
I built a new rig on sunday specifically for BF3 and Skyrim.

i5 2500k
8 gigs RAM g.skill ripjaws
msi geforce gtx 570

just gonna buy it in the store, My classes end early at 9am, so I'll have the entire day to play =D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice, we should all squad up and get some games together.

I'm screwed until Wednesday, video card is still in transit. Should get delivered tomorrow, then all assembled and leak tested (watercooling) for most of the day.
What video card?

If I decide to pick up, I'll be playing on PC as well. The BF3 trailers look epic, but the beta gameplay bored me to death. I know it's just a beta, but it kind of turned me off. I'm a CoD guy normally, so I'm used to more action I guess...but I do admit BF3 graphics > MW3.
I started playing CoD with MW2 and then Black Ops and I put a ton of time into both. I really enjoyed the BF3 Beta. This is going to be my first BF. The graphics are gorgeous.

Oh i am jelly. Release date in europe is 28th.
Sucks that it's different. Many people are going to be using VPNs to play the game earlier though, so if you bought the digital copy maybe you can do that too.

I built a new rig on sunday specifically for BF3 and Skyrim.

i5 2500k
8 gigs RAM g.skill ripjaws
msi geforce gtx 570

just gonna buy it in the store, My classes end early at 9am, so I'll have the entire day to play =D
My build was for BF3 among other things. Same processor and RAM as you except I have a Radeon HD 6950. Did you overclock your CPU? I'm at 4.5 GHz solid as a rock :D

·
Pronouced Tech-Oh
199 Posts
My build was for BF3 among other things. Same processor and RAM as you except I have a Radeon HD 6950. Did you overclock your CPU? I'm at 4.5 GHz solid as a rock :D
I have a i-2500k as well, but I can't get past 4.3GHz!! :no I have a GTX 560 Ti -- built before I saw BF3 trailers & hardware recommendations! It's far off from a 570's performance though, which is the recommended card.

I started playing CoD with MW2 and then Black Ops and I put a ton of time into both. I really enjoyed the BF3 Beta. This is going to be my first BF. The graphics are gorgeous.
Did it not seem slower/less action packed compared to MW gameplay? Also the amount recoil was ridiculous. I also haven't played a BF game since BF: Vietnam & I actually liked that game kinda but BF3 seems like a diff kind of game --- im just hoping the beta was just really crappy.

·
huh
352 Posts

What video card?

Sucks that it's different. Many people are going to be using VPNs to play the game earlier though, so if you bought the digital copy maybe you can do that too.

Kinda nervous about it since it's my first pc that I built on my own. And I only have the stock heat sink that came with the cpu. Runs really cool at around 25degrees Celsius idle and around 35 in a game so I can probably do so. My mobo is pretty good for OCing actually.

·
Banned
3,884 Posts
If you don't like it you can trade it in at gamestop & get MW3 for only .99 cent.
MW3 is guraenteed to be good & action packed....even though it's the same ole..

·
huh
352 Posts
I have a i-2500k as well, but I can't get past 4.3GHz!! :no I have a GTX 560 Ti -- built before I saw BF3 trailers & hardware recommendations! It's far off from a 570's performance though, which is the recommended card.

Did it not seem slower/less action packed compared to MW gameplay? Also the amount recoil was ridiculous. I also haven't played a BF game since BF: Vietnam & I actually liked that game kinda but BF3 seems like a diff kind of game --- im just hoping the beta was just really crappy.
Battlefield 1942 was the best bf game prior to bf3 imo... the amount of user created content made is so great. Hoping for the same for bf3, a nice ww2 era mod would be pretty sweet.

·
Pronouced Tech-Oh
199 Posts
If you don't like it you can trade it in at gamestop & get MW3 for only .99 cent.
Gamestop doesn't do trade in's on PC games

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

What vcore do you use at 4.3 GHz?

You're right, it's definitely slower than CoD, and it's less "run and gun". At first I didn't like it but when I got used to the maps I enjoyed it a lot more. Also conquest is awesome. You can't fly jets and drive tanks around in CoD can you :p

I thought the recoil was fine, you just have to shoot in bursts at distance which is how it should be IMO.

Be playing on ps3. Waiting on Amazon to send my copy now...hopefully.
Game looks great just too many vehicles..
The conquest maps are pretty huge so without vehicles there would be a lot of cross country running involved :teeth Plus I think everything has it's own role to play.

Kinda nervous about it since it's my first pc that I built on my own. And I only have the stock heat sink that came with the cpu. Runs really cool at around 25degrees Celsius idle and around 35 in a game so I can probably do so. My mobo is pretty good for OCing actually.
This is the first one I built all by myself as well. I had a built PC previously, but someone helped me build that one. This is the first CPU I've overclocked, but it's really easy to do for the Sandy Bridge chips. It's definitely worth overclocking if you have a K chip imo. I picked up about 10 extra fps in the BF3 beta after my overclock :)

Your temps are nice and frosty. My idle temps are mid to upper 30s with an aftermarket heatsink/fan (Coolermaster Hyper 212+). Not sure how much it was at stock clocks. But yeah you definitely want to upgrade your heatsink/fan if you're going to overclock it (unless you go for a really mild OC like under 4GHz I guess).

If you don't like it you can trade it in for gamestop & get MW3 for .99 cent.
LOL I saw this promotion and I think it's hilarious.

·
Pronouced Tech-Oh
199 Posts
What vcore do you use at 4.3 GHz?

You're right, it's definitely slower than CoD, and it's less "run and gun". At first I didn't like it but when I got used to the maps I enjoyed it a lot more. Also conquest is awesome. You can't fly jets and drive tanks around in CoD can you :p

I thought the recoil was fine, you just have to shoot in bursts at distance which is how it should be IMO.
I'm at 1.26 vcore, which seems a little high for 4.3GHz, but I know it varies from chip to chip. But it freezes at the Win7 splash screen running 4.4GHz+, even when increasing the vcore.

Even with short bursts the recoil was insane and I found myself being killed many times because I missed so many times when I spotted some one LOL.

Your temps are nice and frosty. My idle temps are mid to upper 30s with an aftermarket heatsink/fan (Coolermaster Hyper 212+). Not sure how much it was at stock clocks. But yeah you definitely want to upgrade your heatsink/fan if you're going to overclock it (unless you go for a really mild OC like under 4GHz I guess).
+1 on the Hyper 212+, (there's a new Hyper 212 Evo out now). I have the 212+ and max temps get to around 58 -62C while OC'ed.

·
Banned
3,884 Posts
Gamestop doesn't do trade in's on PC games
Oh didn't know that. Now that you saying it, I did noticed Gamestop only sell the most peopler PC games Only like Sims, Crysis, & Witcher. I guess PC players got Steam or digital download.

The conquest maps are pretty huge so without vehicles there would be a lot of cross country running involved :teeth Plus I think everything has it's own role to play.

LOL I saw this promotion and I think it's hilarious.
Yeah i know, I just worried that I'm going to suck at driving the vehicles lol. I'll be one of the few running on the ground looking for people to shoot. I better pull out BC2 tonight and practice lol.

·
huh
352 Posts
I've heard great things about the 212, I'll look into it. I really didn't know much about building PCs until around 2 weeks ago, was pretty easy when I sat down to do it, like playing with expensive legos =P

I can't help but feel CoD is a garbage series of games. I played the first one which was a ww2 shooter that I liked online, and cod4 was pretty fun too. I didn't play any others but they all seem like cheap do-overs of CoD4. I mean, you release the same game every year it's not going to have much quality to it :/ seems like just a cash cow for activision.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts

What video card?
GTX580. I RMA'd my 570 and got it upgraded. They wanted to send back a new revision 570 which would render my waterblock useless. Instead of paying $140 for a waterblock, I paid $123.20 for an upgrade and my old block will work on the 580.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm at 1.26 vcore, which seems a little high for 4.3GHz, but I know it varies from chip to chip. But it freezes at the Win7 splash screen running 4.4GHz+, even when increasing the vcore.

Even with short bursts the recoil was insane and I found myself being killed many times because I missed so many times when I spotted some one LOL.

+1 on the Hyper 212+, (there's a new Hyper 212 Evo out now). I have the 212+ and max temps get to around 58 -62C while OC'ed.
1.26V doesn't seem high to me at all. I'm at 4.5 GHz @ 1.340V. How much did you increase the vcore at 4.4 GHz+?

My max temp was 71 deg C during a 12 hour Prime95 stress test, but under real life usage it won't get nearly as hot.

I've heard great things about the 212, I'll look into it. I really didn't know much about building PCs until around 2 weeks ago, was pretty easy when I sat down to do it, like playing with expensive legos =P

I can't help but feel CoD is a garbage series of games. I played the first one which was a ww2 shooter that I liked online, and cod4 was pretty fun too. I didn't play any others but they all seem like cheap do-overs of CoD4. I mean, you release the same game every year it's not going to have much quality to it :/ seems like just a cash cow for activision.
Hahah the part about expensive legos is so true. I have MW3 on pre-order as well but I'm not impressed with what I have seen at all. It looks exactly like MW2. Don't know if it's worth keeping.

GTX580. I RMA'd my 570 and got it upgraded. They wanted to send back a new revision 570 which would render my waterblock useless. Instead of paying $140 for a waterblock, I paid $123.20 for an upgrade and my old block will work on the 580.
Nice!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
1 - 20 of 72 Posts