Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anybody has this same problem and if they do, what you do to help. Anytime I go out into public, I get the feeling that I have to use the bathroom. Once the thought sets in, soon after I need to go to the bathroom. My stomach starts hurting and I need to check every place I go for a bathroom. It really gets bad if I am driving and I hit grid lock, Panic sets in and the feeling returns. I do not have a problem using public restrooms, its just the same feeling everytime I go out. I try making myself go before I leave the house and still does not work. In college, I would use the bathroom in between every class. I am just worried about when I get a job I might not make it during meetings or different social events. I need help and was hoping someone knows how to deal with this problem

·
Registered
225 Posts
Walk in naked, that way you're already prepared for buisness. You would save yourself approx. 10 seconds of the bathroom nightmare.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I would of said that you probably have some type of urinary tract infection, but it only happens in public, so my guess would be that maybe it's some kind of anxiety related condition that manifests into what you described. Maybe a tad of ocd possibly as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you've got to go, you've got to go. When nature calls, she doesn't hang up until you answer! I used to hate getting up during my college classes to use the bathroom because I didn't want to create disruption--especially when rows/aisles are narrow and backpacks are crowded everywhere--I was always afraid I'd trip or fall on someone! But then, I stopped caring what other people thought. Why should I sit through an hour or more of class with a full bladder? It's not like I was taking trips to the vending machines--and even if I was, I still had the right to leave whenever and for whatever reason. I think what you need to do is realize that you have the right to leave the room so that you can go to the bathroom. It's drilled into our heads, thanks to public school, that you have to ask permission to go and can only go during this or that time. Remember those egregious bathroom passes, anyone? Anyway, I think that mentality sticks around for awhile, that you can only leave to go to the bathroom when it's convenient for everyone else. Screw that. If you have to go during a meeting, go. If, however, you think it's excessive, by all means go see a doctor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same problem but i am still in school and am starting to go down hill with my work, attendance and exams i have visited a counciler provided by my doctor and that wasnt for me but i am to young to seek medical advice. i dont know what causes me to have this mentality where i cannot go but its begining to become a big problem i would be very happy to listen to anyones advice as what ever works for you may work for me so let me know anyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts