Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from severe bathroom anxiety, strictly dealing with NUMBER TWO.

I have developed a panic disorder because of it.

I dont go places where there wont be a bathroom, im terrified of being around people and having to excuse myself to go to the bathroom...SOOO i make it my duty to go before i leave the house. However, i feel that no matter what, my stomach still feels as if i never went in the first place.

Ive been told that its because of the flight or fight response and the body's need to evacuate everything unnecessary to either reaction to fear. My problem, is that i have this adrenaline for no reason, so i get nervous about having to use the bathroom, which leads to me ACTUALLY feeling like i have to go.

ITS RUINING MY LIFE.

how about you?

·
:D
173 Posts
I can sort of relate to that in a way. I never want to make people annoyed with me just because I might have to go at an inopportune time. :um Plus I hate it when I'm in a public restroom with just one other person. It's so awkward for me somehow... just me and her, whoever it may be. Having more than two people is fine with me though, because it sort of breaks that weird silence. But I still prefer being by myself though...

·
Registered
171 Posts
wow i was just thinking about posting this today...this is sooo weird...
but ya i can relate. i hate going to the potty in public places. my thing is if im doing a number two and if i stink up the bathroom i dont want anyone know it was me :hide in my own house thats fine i dont care but like at work and stuff. i hate it. i always hurry up because i dont want another employee walk in cause they would know it was me. before we open and theres a male manager opening with me that fine i know hes not gonna come walking in but if its my female manager ill hold it till i get home. same thing if we open the store i will hold it...wellllll today was a different story i seriously couldnt hold it any longer and i was anxious as hell.
i dont have a problem with peeing tho...probably cause its not smelly.
i will not do a number two at a friends house though...nope

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
I deal with the bathroom awkwardness by flushing the toilet after I get in the stall and then going, lol.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Ditto

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Rules on getting through the public restroom.

For guys, at first until you feel comfortable, use the stalls, not the urinals. Girls, well, you don't have much of a choice.
(1) Use toilet paper on the seats if potty protection papers are not available.
(2) Put toilet paper in the bowl to muffle the sound.
(3) Sit while protected.
(4) Wait patiently until you hear a toilet flush. If you are alone in the restroom, see #5.
(5) Let loose at your own comfort level.

When you are done, flush the toilet and wash your hands. If anyone asks, you just say "I was free to wee, let me be".

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't dookie in public bathrooms either, but that's because it's disgusting. Especially when the toilet seat is warm; it makes me want to boil myself. That's all I'm going to say about that.
Ugh! I hate warm seats.....it totally disgusts me to feel someone else's leftover body heat if I sit down. I will not lay pipe or fire the afterburners in a public restroom either, too many sounds/smells associated with the act to make a public performance out of it plus I've seen enough messy toilet seats to never want to park my rear on one.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Lots of exposure to horrifying bathrooms of all sorts has helped me overcome my bathroom anxiety. But I still like to wait for somebody else to flush a toilet.

Weirdly, I'm not distressed by gross bathrooms at all anymore. This is good, as I spent a lot of time in train stations.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Everybody poots, drops bombs and whizzes. Everybody.
People have diarrhea....constipation.....acid indigestion.....

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I'm just glad I'm not a woman, I could never leave the house.
Hahah.

Luckily, the ladies' room is not usually home to empty beer cans, drawings of penises, and bodily fluids that somehow missed the toilet (how it got on the ceiling, we will never know). Men's washrooms, on the other hand...

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Nah, men's washrooms are quite that bad. It depends on where you go.
When you gotta go, you gotta go....period. :lol

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I think dramatic effects help get over the anxiety. Do like the movies do and start screaming stuff, lol. Omg, I didn't eat corn!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Somehow, I always seem to get lucky when it comes to public washrooms. I seem to hit them when no one is there. The odd time someone is there, I just pretend like there is something sticky on my hands and wash them until the person(s) leave. I'm not so much worried about the seats, since there are more germs in the bowl than on the seat. Unless people miss, lol. However, if I am at someones house when my belly rumbles, I will usually take my hair brush and a hairtie or something with me, run the water, put my hair up, finish my business, flush, wash my hands and pretend my hair is what made me take long.
I feel so silly. I wish I knew what its like to go to any washroom at any time and let loose without a care.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Public restrooms make my list of top 10 places where I'm likely to panic. I always feel like the other women in the ladies' room are giving me a dirty look when I go to the sink to wash my hands. God forbid they try to make small talk!

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
God forbid they try to make small talk!
Haha. So what are you here for? Oh, I doing some Christmasssmmphh shopping. Oh yeah!? Me too. My wife *fartsssss* wants me to get her some jewelry. *ploop* Oh that's a goodmmphh idea. *gassss* *ploop*..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Haha. So what are you here for? Oh, I doing some Christmasssmmphh shopping. Oh yeah!? Me too. My wife *fartsssss* wants me to get her some jewelry. *ploop* Oh that's a goodmmphh idea. *gassss* *ploop*..
:lol
My problem is, I'll overhear one of these conversations (or somebody talking on her cell phone) and start giggling...then I'm sure I'm not imagining things when I feel the evil eye on me at the sink.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I deal with the bathroom awkwardness by flushing the toilet after I get in the stall and then going, lol.
haha thats a good idea...but i would worry about the toilet water splashing up my undercarriage loll. My friend ROLLS THE TOILET PAPER BACKWARDS to make noise the whole time, plus backwards means you dont wast the paper lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
However, if I am at someones house when my belly rumbles, I will usually take my hair brush and a hairtie or something with me, run the water, put my hair up, finish my business, flush, wash my hands and pretend my hair is what made me take long.
I feel so silly. I wish I knew what its like to go to any washroom at any time and let loose without a care.
i have TOTALLY done that. When i have company over, and its late at night and i have to go...i come back down with pjs on, pretending it just took me long to change!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think dramatic effects help get over the anxiety. Do like the movies do and start screaming stuff, lol. Omg, I didn't eat corn!
hahahah....your humor helps. thats what i think needs to be done, in order for these millions of people like me dont fear what is natural. There is such a taboo on poop.

Especially for women, since i have heard MANY A STORY about boys not realizing women outside their family did the deed.

I feel that as a girl, the need to be seen as perfect and attractive all the time effects our thinking. If we come out of the bathroom after a long period of time, or think we smell of the bathroom, we feel VERY unnattractive and self conscious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:lol
My problem is, I'll overhear one of these conversations (or somebody talking on her cell phone) and start giggling...then I'm sure I'm not imagining things when I feel the evil eye on me at the sink.
i HATE when people linger in the bathroom. especially on the phone, when im trying to relax and waiting to be alone.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts