Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Awesome Guy
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The second biggest obstacle in my life has been acne...my face exploded at age 9 and got worse every year.

Before I went on disability I think I lost as many jobs because of my skin as I did because of my SA. There were just so many days that I could not face the outside world.....it's bad enough to always have bad thoughts about yourself...bad skin made it so much worse.

Anyone else?

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
I didn't have acne when I was younger, I developed psoriasis in my 20s though, and its made things a bit more difficult. Meds and topical creams don't work, nothing has worked yet.

·
Awesome Guy
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I developed psoriasis in my 20s though, and its made things a bit more difficult.
I got that as a 30th birthday present as well.

I've had bad skin since I was 13. It's gotten better but it's still not great. Getting fed up of having teenage skin when I'm not a teenager.
Same here!

The only thing that has really helped me has been my decision to avoid any and all foods that may have hormones in them...red meat and dairy mostly.

Since cutting them out of my diet and eating only hormone-free meat my skin has gotten about 75% better.

Never let anyone tell you that diet doesn't factor into acne.

·
Registered
78 Posts
can relate to this, i had pretty bad skin from 13 right up until a few years ago and the bullying that i got mainly for that contributed to me developing SA at school.. luckily my skin has got much better, now just waiting for the SA to do the same :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I got that as a 30th birthday present as well.

Same here!

The only thing that has really helped me has been my decision to avoid any and all foods that may have hormones in them...red meat and dairy mostly.

Since cutting them out of my diet and eating only hormone-free meat my skin has gotten about 75% better.

Yeah that does make sense. I'm a vegetarian though, and I don't have tons of dairy.

I have beauty products but I always forget to use them, so maybe if I start doing it again then my skin will improve.

·
unstable
2,590 Posts
Yes indeedy. My acne started at age 9 as well. On top of that I've had problems with my skin being either way too dry or way too oily. Oily skin of course leading to even worse acne. There have been times where I don't want to leave because of wahtever skin condition I'm experiencing. My face is still covered in dark scars. they won't fade. I've tried tons of over the counter things and prescription things. I've eliminated dairy, which did **** all tbh. I barely even eat, so I don't see how my diet could be a factor :lol. I have one last resort in mind and if that doesn't work out, I don't even know. The best cure so far in my life has been a 2-week sunny holiday, I returned home with clear skin. But I'm not exactly in the position to move to a sunny destination :lol:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Have you tried taking a Vitamin D supplement? My daughter has eczema and it completely cleared up when we went to Italy, so now I give her a supplement and take one myself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
@Eliza, i guess it youve tried using Bio-Oil yeah? if not id recommend it. i used it after trying all sorts of stuff that the doctor gave me and over the counter creams etc.. and i found it the most effective, over a few months the scars hadnt gone completely but they were barely visible

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
Bad skid definitely makes SA worse. Luckily I'm on this acne cream I got from my doctor and I only get like one or two zits a week now, which is a huge improvement. I feel like I can relax more around people now because I don't feel disgusting anymore.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have acne too. It started in my early teens and the only thing I've ever managed to do to improve it was to stop using soap on my face which I had been told to do my whole life.
I'm interested to hear giving up red meat and dairy helped you. I'll have to try that!

·
Registered
771 Posts
100% agree. My skin was a mess for years and I never considered changing my diet because my doctor always told me that acne has nothing to do with diet. I've since managed to clear my skin up almost completely by giving up dairy, sugar and cutting down on carbs.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I have my acne under control now since 1 month ago. Now I'm working on the scars, but I use the same solution for acne and my scars... Vitamin C. I haven't had a huge break out. I looked online everywhere and found a simple solution for myself. I have been taking vitamin C pills and making topical vitamin c solution for my face. I take two pills of vitamin C tablets ( I just got them in the vitamin c section of walmart) Or you can get something called ascorbic powder. I crush both tablets to fine powder to my best ability, you can get a tablet crusher or dissolve the tablets in liquid prior to crushing them to make it soft or just take a mortar/pestle and crush...

Then I get just enough water in them to make it a pasty concoction and put it on my face for 10 minutes till it hardens, when I take it off by washing my skin my skin feels better and I dont have a break out the next day. I dont even do this everyday, I would say it suffices for me to do this once a week. You can add bio-oil or tea tree oil into your solution if you want instead of water...

Acne can be a huge factor in your self esteem and it really does hurt when your skin wont just behave normal... your face is the most exposed part of your body and thats why its such a blow to yourself. I hope everyone here eventually finds some treatment or solution to their problems. Best of luck! :)

·
unstable
2,590 Posts
@Eliza, i guess it youve tried using Bio-Oil yeah? if not id recommend it. i used it after trying all sorts of stuff that the doctor gave me and over the counter creams etc.. and i found it the most effective, over a few months the scars hadnt gone completely but they were barely visible
Yeah... Tried it, made my face break out :um. I've used it to clear other scars though, works very well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are loads of solutions out there. You should consult a family doctor with a dermatology certificate, or see a dermatologist if you can.

I have very bad atopic eczema that was never resolved all the way till I was about 19-20, it is still under control 24/7 now, but to say the least I had my confidence crushed all the way, which still is one of the underlying causes of my severe lack of confidence.

However my bad skin hasn't stopped me, yes it causes me to lose a great deal of confidence, but I just think if I saw a guy who is a phd (maybe just the pharmacist) or working in a cool job but had very bad skin would I think he wasn't good enough? never. I still pushed through high school even I was laughed all the way, finished university found a gf etc etc all while scratching.

Once I was very jealous when I saw a gorgeous douchey couple together, right afterwards I saw a young woman paying at the counter with half her face burned, I felt so sorry for her that I realise all my trouble are nothing compared to this woman who is going to have a toughest time because of her looks.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Once I was very jealous when I saw a gorgeous douchey couple together, right afterwards I saw a young woman paying at the counter with half her face burned, I felt so sorry for her that I realise all my trouble are nothing compared to this woman who is going to have a toughest time because of her looks.
That does put things in perspective!

·
thoughts are just thought
1,263 Posts
No offense to all of you who "think" you have bad acne if you're doctor never told you to use Isotretinoin (once called Accutane now called Roaccutane in the USA, it has other names in other countries) your acne isn't that bad. Sorry, it just isn't.

All the creams and junk work wonders for what me and my Accutane alumni call "mild acne" (what the rest of you might call severe). But when they start talking Isotretinoin that means your face has exploded and NOTHING else works. it's actually a very dangerous drug with pretty messed up side effects. While on it you have to have blood work done every month to make sure it is not literally killing you (people have died from it).

As bad as my SA is now, I do thank God I took Accutane to get my acne under control. I use to remember getting pissed when I would be out with a friend and they mention "OMG I have a pimple!" and I would look at their face and it was a small bump that I would not even notice if they weren't pointing to it, meanwhile I had several dozen HUGE pimples on my face that you could see from across the room.

I say all of this to say, if it is really bad, I mean really bad, speak to you doctor about accutane (or whatever it goes by now). It saved my life, now the only thing holding me back is my SA (wish there was a drug that solved that problem as easily... no paxil did not).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts