Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I and both my sisters have pretty bad acne. Not bad because it covers my face - it doesn't. But it has stayed for a long time. I'm almost 23 and was hoping it would go away with age.

Basically the reason it doesn't though is because I always touch it without realizing it. I have spots between my mouth and chin where I usually put my hand when my head rests on my hand (usually when I'm in class) and there is always acne there. I also usually have some above my left eye and one on my forehead plus some blotchyness (if not a whitehead) on both cheeks. I keep worrying that this will scar, if it hasn't already, but I can't stop touching the stupid stuff.

And what bothers me almost as much is these two spots - one by each ear. Below my right ear is a red bump that has been there forever and I will feel that dam thing without thinking about it. It is some kind of lump like a boil, but I don't know really what it is. On the area under my left ear is a red spot that looks like it wants to break out but never does. I fear that this is a scar that won't go away.

So you know, I used to get huge acne lump things all the time in this spots and my mom would lance them with a needle heated in boiling water. She also did this to one lump thing that was in the center of my forehead above my nose. It left a scar there that I can see but no one else seems to be able to. I think that these spots are scars from this practice but am not sure.

Usually people tell me my complexion is fine with some trouble spots, btu I feel it is really bad and it makes me feel bad to look in the mirror so I avoid it.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
You should probably see a doctor about it if it bothers you.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Have you tried proactiv? My sister orders it, and sometimes I sneak in and use some of the cream, its really good , but little pricy..

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Have you tried the "regimen" posted at http://www.acne.org.

I've been using a variation of it for a few months (once a day, not twice) and it is working pretty well. :)

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hypatia said:
Have you tried the "regimen" posted at http://www.acne.org.

I've been using a variation of it for a few months (once a day, not twice) and it is working pretty well. :)

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)
I was going to suggest this too. It does seem to work. I by no means have bad acne, but always had a few pimples (at 27). I have seen a difference following this.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I wish my derma would put me on accutane already. I'm on tazorac, benzaclin, 200 mg of minocycline, and 2% hydrocortisone PRN. And not a dent! :mum

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've always had acne - bad when I was young, improved as an adult but definately still an issue. (Thank god for makeup).

I have just a few OTC meds that I have found I can use - most give me a rash worse than the acne - so I'm a little afraid to invest in expensive stuff (like Proactiv).

Do people that have had dermatological treatments find that superficial treatments are better than pills or the opposite?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I think that you are what you eat. And if you're diet isn't good, than you're skin will have problems.
Maybe do some research on internal ways to clear skin..i think that would benefit anyone with acne of all degrees instead of those fancy expensive treatments that don't always work. Try something more basic, like tea tree oil soap, and don't scrub your skin, and always moisturize (i use curel) i've just discovered that simple things can do wonders for your skin and you don't have to invest in all these potion scams, my sister and one cousin of mine both tried lots, including proactive, and it never worked for them..I don't have acne, and i think because i have a much more natural diet, and don't put chemical soaps on my body. I used to have practically blemishes everyday, now i don't have any :)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Proactiv is actually pretty good, I dont use it every day, because it dries out my skin, but every couple days or so, and I really love it. I also noticed ever since I started exercising, my skin is a lot smoother, which I think also has to do with a fact that I drink a lot of water and stay away from all sugary drinks.

·
840 Posts
I suffered from severe acne a long time, because I believed the medical establishment when they said that diet had nothing to do with acne. :mum

Changing your diet can really help. I used to get big, nasty cysts EVERY TIME I drank milk or ate a lot of sugary snacks. So, I stopped drinking milk (but not all dairy products) and learned to use sugar in moderation.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
:hug

Acne sucks. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. I too have a hard time keeping myself from touching my face, but it sort of helps to imagine that I have mud all over my hands and fingers! :stu I still touch my face sometimes, but in general I have worked hard to unlearn that bad habit.

What have you tried so far? I've had various levels of success with salicylic acid (stops working after a while though), glycolic acid, retinaldehyde (an OTC retinoid that Avene uses in some of their products), polysporin and tea tree oil. Benzoyl peroxide works for many people but it is just *way* too harsh for my skin, and it makes me sneeze! It's always kind of a weird struggle to get rid of pimples without making the rest of your skin red, angry, and thus prone to more break-outs.

A good diet can never hurt. Supplementing with zinc and/or essential fatty acids might help you out. Seeing a derm would definitely be a good idea, because then you could maybe work out some of the causes behind your acne and possibly find some solutions

Hope this works out for you, joeb.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Accutane. It will clear your face up quickly. See your dermatologist. However, be careful with the side effects especially the depression and suicidal tendencies. I know from past experiences but the crap works!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts