Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to help expose the benefits that people may experience with baclofen for anxiety treatment. I know there are some on this forum that have taken or still do take baclofen. I also know some will say tolerance will build and the anxiolytic effects will diminish, or that it doesn't have a very good anxiolytic effect at all. I have only been taking it for 5 days but I believe it is going to change my life long term, and it could do this for others as well.

There is not enough exposure or research into the anxiolytic effects of gaba B agonists like baclofen. There are very few gaba B agonist substances available, and the only current reliable gaba B agonist in the form of a real medication is baclofen.

Many people including myself have experienced wonderful anxiolitic effects from the nootropic phenibut, a gaba B agonist that that is not an actual medication in the u.s.a. but is available to order as a supplement online. The mechanism of action from phenibut and baclofen is very similar, in my case baclofen is actually less sedating than phenibut, but is just as good as an anxiolytic.

If you do the research you will find that there are some small scale clinical trials that have proven efficacy of baclofen for anxiety. You will also find that it is now being used at an increasing rate to treat alcoholism and addiction. The fact is that most people who are alcoholics or drug addicts have comorbid anxiety issues, and this is often the root cause of addiction. You will find that higher dose baclofen has not only "cured" addiction for many people, but has also "cured" the underlying anxiety that goes along with it.

I do believe side effects can be an issue for some with baclofen, and that this medication will not work for everyone. I don't believe that tolerance will stop baclofen from being a long term treatment for anxiety. The reason for this is simply that most people experience tolerence when a med stops giving them the sedating effect, this is the most common effect that reduces anxiety. However, with baclofen I myself am not experiencing sedating effects, but my GAD and SA have gone down significantly. There are also many other people that have been on baclofen for months and years, that no longer experience any sedation, yet they still get the anxiolytic effects.

Gaba b agonist meds have a promising future for anxiety treatment. There are currently trials going on with newer gaba B agonist meds that are being developed for anxiety treatment, and the results look good. We will see gaba B agonist meds as the newest treatment for anxiety in this lifetime, but unfortunatly medicine development is very very slow.

The most unfortunate thing is that there is not enough info out there about baclofen's anxiolytic ability, so most doctors will not even consider prescribing it for anxiety, especially in the higher doses that may be necessary. I do have a doctor that will continue to titrate my dose up as high as is needed, and I intend to continue to document the results of this medication as I do so.

My GAD is bad enough that it is with me 90% of the time, and my SA is bad enough that I have panic attacks even thinking about social interaction in my personal life and at work. I have severe physical symptoms that are debilitating. I have been on more meds for anxiety in the last few years than you can count on your fingers and toes. This has largely controlled my life for some time now. The only way I could effectively deal with my SA before baclofen is with either alcohol or opiates. Now in a matter of 5 days I feel completely different, I am not really super pro social, but I can hold conversation with ease, and I do not constantly worry about social interaction. Some other drugs have had this effect for me, but only because they were sedating. Baclofen is working without the sedation.

Just for reference my current meds are:

-baclofen 60 mg split into 3- 20 mg doses
-propranolol 80 mg split into 2- 40 mg doses
-amitriptyline 50 mg at night
-sonata 10 mg at night
-xanax .5 mg at night only

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lets hear others experience with baclofen that may agree or disagree with it's efficacy for anxiety.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i really would like to try baclofen and if i get a tolerance to xanax then i am going to ask a pyschiatrist to give me baclofen when i finally get a apointment in november

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
today I took two baclofen pills and really got off it's much stronger than phenibut and common benzos, noticeable side effects also occurred such as nausea, racousness and impaired balance.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Ah baclofen, good **** hasnt got any tolerance issues AT ALL so if it works your set, however it has a pretty severe withdrawal.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Many people including myself have experienced wonderful anxiolitic effects from the nootropic phenibut, a gaba B agonist that that is not an actual medication in the u.s.a. but is available to order as a supplement online. The mechanism of action from phenibut and baclofen is very similar, in my case baclofen is actually less sedating than phenibut, but is just as good as an anxiolytic.
Phenibut has EXTREME tolerance issues and its withdrawal is as bad GHB's, also withdrawal occurs VERY rapidly with this substance, i highly recommend to stay away and go for baclofen instead.

Reactions: beaches09

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
memory loss, I have no idea. As far as cognitive impairment I would say no. I can think much more clearly on baclofen than I can on xanax. In fact, my personal coginition I would say is slightly improved vs. no medication at all, because anxiety is very cognitively impairing. I am taking it daily, not as needed. I will titrate up as long as I need to until I am comfortable that my dose is high enough, my guess would be somewhere between 100 - 150 mg a day.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Ah baclofen, good **** hasnt got any tolerance issues AT ALL so if it works your set, however it has a pretty severe withdrawal.
Have you got a source for this Wes? I've read many people's comments that it is similar (but not quite as bad) as Phenibut for tolerance/withdrawal.

I only take it 2 days a week (as a direct alternative to phenibut, which feels identical to me) as I don't want to risk taking it any more than that until I have proof it doesn't have tolerance issues.

Surely hitting the GABAb receptors hard as Baclofen does in the same way Phenibut does will lead to the same tolerance building?

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Gaba b agonist meds have a promising future for anxiety treatment. There are currently trials going on with newer gaba B agonist meds that are being developed for anxiety treatment, and the results look good. We will see gaba B agonist meds as the newest treatment for anxiety in this lifetime, but unfortunatly medicine development is very very slow.
Do you have any links to news on these developments of GABAb meds? I've very interested in GABAergics as they are what cure my SA.

I currently take a rotating mixture of GABAergics so as not to become tolerant to any of them (Baclofen included). I've been doing it for 9 months and it's working very well.

I see you have only been on Baclofen for 5 days. I'd be very interested to see how you are getting on with it after 5 months with daily high dose use.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Have you got a source for this Wes? I've read many people's comments that it is similar (but not quite as bad) as Phenibut for tolerance/withdrawal.

I only take it 2 days a week (as a direct alternative to phenibut, which feels identical to me) as I don't want to risk taking it any more than that until I have proof it doesn't have tolerance issues.

Surely hitting the GABAb receptors hard as Baclofen does in the same way Phenibut does will lead to the same tolerance building?
Baclofen supresses glutamate wich makes all the difference, will post the source later on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ugh- here is a study from pub med--- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18195453

there is more out there, I don't have time right now to locate them, but I will add more when I get time.

On another note, I was given a 1 hour notice this morning when I got to work that I had to fill in as the lead presenter for a power point presentation to a group of about 20 peers and upper level managment. I was able to complete this task with about 10% of the anxiety I would have had about this situation just a week ago, the presentation went well. Day 7 of baclofen use.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
ugh- here is a study from pub med--- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18195453

there is more out there, I don't have time right now to locate them, but I will add more when I get time.
I fully agree it's a great anxiolytic, as that study indicated, but it doesn't say anything about tolerance.

As I say, I'm very interested to see how you are doing after a few months of daily Baclofen use as an anxiolytic. Especially if you are talking about going up to the very high doses of 120-150mg.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
paragraph taken from dr. oliver ameisen's case report:

Baclofen has also been used successfully in anxiety
disorders (Breslow​
et al., 1989; Drake et al., 2003), and was
shown to be effective in ameliorating some affective
disturbances in alcoholic patients, including anxiety and
depression (Krupitsky
et al., 1993; Addolorato et al.,
2002a,b). Anxiety is an overwhelmingly prevalent
comorbidity of alcoholism (Grant
et al., 2004), and efficacy
on anxiety has not been shown for other agents used for
alcohol dependence (disulfiram, naltrexone, acamprosate or
topiramate). I had used baclofen for >1 year (2002-2003) to

148 O. AMEISEN​
reduce anxiety. I had progressively increased the dosage to
180 mg/day, which improved personal and general well-being
considerably, but did not suppress cravings and alcohol
relapses. Being unaware then that higher dosages were safe,
I had not exceeded 180 mg/day.
By analysing the literature, I subsequently realized that
baclofen was the only monotherapy that could, in theory,
completely suppress cravings, while alleviating comorbid
anxiety simultaneously. Although my doctors remained
unconvinced, I decided to self-prescribe high-dose baclofen,
choosing 300 mg/day (4 mg/kg) as the maximal daily dosage,
as long as side-effects were not limiting.​

http://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/baclofen-anxiety-50827.html

^^ link to many self reports that long term baclofen use has eliminated anxiety

some links to info about modern gaba b agonist compounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS-39783

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGP-7930

http://rabbit.if-pan.krakow.pl/pjp/pdf/2007/6_757.pdf

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks for the sources. :)

I'll keep this in mind for sure and look out for progress with those 2 other GABAb meds.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I fully agree it's a great anxiolytic, as that study indicated, but it doesn't say anything about tolerance.

As I say, I'm very interested to see how you are doing after a few months of daily Baclofen use as an anxiolytic. Especially if you are talking about going up to the very high doses of 120-150mg.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. :)
As I can understand they don't say that baclofen has anxiolytic activity (that was revealed for some GABA(b) antagonist). It showed antidepressant activity though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
broflovski-- there are many self reported cases of higher dose baclofen being taken long term that have eliminated anxiety, some of these people do take benzos as well, but the combo has completely obliterated anxiety.

I can tell you that I am on day 10 of 60 mg baclofen, I have already develpoed tolerance to its sedative effects, however, my anxiety level is extremely low compared to 10 days ago. I do also take xanax and propranolol, this combo has destroyed my anxiety like nothing else I have ever taken so far.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Great news, hopefully the improvements continue brown.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I took 20mg Baclofen for the first time this morning around 9.30am. It's now 18:45 and haven't felt anything really. I also took 0.25mg Xanax and 1000mg Kratom. Anxiety is reduced slightly compared to normal level.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
baclofen does not have a major "feeling" for me like a benzo does, slightly sedative at first, but that wears off quickly. It is what baclofen does that you don't realize that helps with anxiety. It calms the amygdala by gaba b agonism. I have noticed that after 10 days, my anxiety is actually lowering day by day. you need to start slow on baclofen, but more than 20 mg is needed, 20-30 mg every 6 hours or so after you have introduced it into your system for a few days.

It's quite strange how it helps for me, my anxious thoughts are still there, but they get less day by day. The reason it gets better each day is because I am now capable of social interaction on a level that was not previously attainable. I didn't realize how much it is really helping until I was put into some social situations that are normally very uncomfortable, and these situations have been much easier than normal to handle. I find my self being calm, opionated and assertive. The more times I have success the lower my anxiety goes. It is like the idea of exposure in cbt (this NEVER worked for me) now my experiences are becoming profoundly beneficial rather than nerve racking. This is due to the fact that baclofen is keeping me calm and collected in all situations.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.