Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I Know this sounds crazy, but is anyone interested in going backpacking (maybe in Europe) with me, granted we become friends and knw that we get along first. I'm in a place in my life where I feel like I can't move forwards and I can't move backwards. I just started a graduate program that I put all my heart and soul in getting into and I'm on the verge of failing out. I don't knw if it's a combination of me or SA but I can't go at this pace anymore. Even if it's not stress about exams, or papers, it's stress about walking dwn the street, others noticing my physical symptoms, hell, sitting quietly next to someone. It's so tiring, I just need a break to clear my head, or at least not feel so guilty for a month or so.

So if anyone's feeling the same/stuck and would like to travel, maybe we can meet/chat sometime? You can just drop me an email. Ok, a little description about myself: I'm 24/f/nyc. So pls email me only if you're in your 20's or 30's, and nothing romantic please.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If I didn't have my daughter I would say lets go! Something I always wanted to do! You'll find someone that will go with you!

·
Allons-y!
2,011 Posts
That's something I would do if I weren't completely broke. When would you go? I'd like to go after I graduate next spring. Maybe by then I can save up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey girl
Don't worry I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'll need to save up before I go. Going in spring 2006 would be a good option.
ok, i'm going to leave you a pm
talk to ya soon!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Backpack through Southeast Asia. I backpacked through Europe, India, and Southeast Asia a few years back. IMO Europe is more fun when you have a decent amount of cash so that you can enjoy the fine dining, hotels, concerts, etc.

India is fantastic and dirt cheap, but it may be too intense for your first trip abroad. The touts are extremely aggresive and you have to be constantly avoiding scams.

So that leaves SEA. In places like Thailand, you can get all the modern conviences of the US, but it is really cheap. Beautiful temples, great beaches, and extremely friendly people (it's called the Land of Smiles). It is also next to Cambodia, Laos, Burma if you want to go somewhere more adventurous. I backpacked through SEA for two months and it cost me around $1500, not including airfare.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, wow I am turning green w/envy as we speak..lol All those places sound great!
How long did you stay in each destination?
How much do you recommend saving for Europe, I went to Paris early spring and the euro was pretty strong 1.40u.s to 1.00 e i think, it's a little cheaper now.

As for SEA, 1500 sounds great!! Did you find that you could live somewhat comfortably on that amount?

Did it affect your personal life a lot- Did you have to drop wrk, relationships, school or whatever to go. How did you handle it? How did you handle getting back, getting readjusted Sorry if this is too personal, if you want you can give me a private message. I'm so worried that I'm messing up my future if I leave, and drop grad school. Once I stop I can't come back in, I'll have to reappply/recommendations/interviews all over again. But I can't go through life like this, so paranoid about everything.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey there,

We actually had a post going a couple months ago with a little group of us who were interested in or were already planning travel overseas (Europe, mainly) it seemed like the majority were planning to depart in Spring/Summer of 2006 so we toyed with the idea of meeting up whilst there. I guess we'll see in a couple more months as plans materialize if any of that is possible but I'm more than open to it!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Backpacking across Europe is something i've always wanted to do, but probaby never will. (That and doing the entire appalacian trail)

I can never get off of work for more than a week at a time...*sigh*

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Amozza,
nice, is anyone planning on meeting up beforehand and going together or everyone's planning to meet whilst there. And which part of europe is there? lol I'm getting so giddy knowing that this could be a real possiblity too. How cool would it be to actually have a little grp meet up half way around the world!! I only wished I could find someone that was departing from NYC as well. How long is everyone planning to stay?

One on One,
Where are you leaving from. And how long are you traveling for?

eekmd,
aww..you're always welcomed to come

·
Registered
23 Posts
fraidycat said:
How long did you stay in each destination?
In Europe, I saw London, Amsterdam, and Prague. All interesting cities, but nothing really captured my imagination. They are all variations on Western society.

My next stop was SEA, which I enjoyed a lot more. It's funny, I met a lot of Brits in Thailand and they told me how lame the European backpacking trail is. All the 20 somethings in Europe backpack around SEA. The more adventurous end up in India. I loved traveling through Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos. I spent two months there.

I was running low on funds, so I got a job teaching English in Thailand for six months and saved up enough for a trip to India.

India was absolutely mind blowing. It's like another planet. It's a love/hate place. Their is no in-between. It is the most in-your-face, wild country I've ever been in. Makes Cambodia seem like Canada!

How much do you recommend saving for Europe, I went to Paris early spring and the euro was pretty strong 1.40u.s to 1.00 e i think, it's a little cheaper now.
I was there before the euro was in place, so I am not sure if I can give you a good budget.

As for SEA, 1500 sounds great!! Did you find that you could live somewhat comfortably on that amount?
If you are really hardcore, you can spend $2 a night for a bunk bed. If you spend $8 to $12, you can get a private room with A/C, TV, bathroom. Do your homework on transportation. Using the same transport as the locals will save you a ton of money.

Did it affect your personal life a lot- Did you have to drop wrk, relationships, school or whatever to go. How did you handle it? How did you handle getting back, getting readjusted Sorry if this is too personal, if you want you can give me a private message. I'm so worried that I'm messing up my future if I leave, and drop grad school. Once I stop I can't come back in, I'll have to reappply/recommendations/interviews all over again. But I can't go through life like this, so paranoid about everything.
I was getting sick of my job (didn't know at the time that it was caused by SA). So I quit, sold my car, and took off for Europe and Asia. I just needed something to jolt me out of my depression. It wasn't easy coming back and looking for a new job. Also, you will feel out of place here for a while. Not that many Americans travel abroad. You'll be amazed at how ignorant supposedly educated people are about foriegn countries. But I don't regret going at all. Unlike the US, you are constantly surrounded by people in Asia so you forced to interact. I have bouts of SA still, but I am in a lot better position than I was before I left. You are also forced to rethink a lot of your assumptions, which is healthy for anyone.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I certainly need to rethink my assumptions, about others, about my self, everything.

Just out of curiosity, are there ppl from the nyc/nj/penn area that are interested in going or plan to go backpacking sometime in the future?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've also been planning on taking a couple months off next summer to backpack through Europe. I'm sort of in the same situation as you fraidycat... I'm not really happy with where I'm at and could really use some time to just get away for a while. I'd never considered Southeast Asia. Sounds fun... something to consider in the future.

It's cool to see that others are planning or have already done the same thing. I'd be willing to meet up with some other SAS members while I'm over there. Hopefully we can set something up as people's plans start to come together.

·
Rainmaker
972 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are there ppl from the nyc/nj/penn area that are interested in going or plan to go backpacking sometime in the future?
Yeah, but I'm in ont and not nyc, lol. I've always wanted to travel...I never thought about backpacking, though. But now that I think of it, it sounds like fun. Everything seems so upside down and getting away for awhile would be great. If only I weren't so petrified of meeting people online I'd probably take up your offer. :sigh

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
That's something I've always wanted to do.. and just traveling in general. Have no one to go with me and well my family would freak out if I went off on my own again hehe I'd so be up for something like this.. I don't care about taking more time off school or work or anything :) I'm in Ca but can't get a direct flight anywhere anyways :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow..it seems like we have alot of ppl that are interested or is in the midst of planning something. We should list our location, tentative travel dates, and possible destination. That way we can coordinate a meet up, or even arrange to leave together w/someone. Maybe we can find someone leaving from Ca, Mserychic. I completely understand what you mean about traveling alone girl. I'm 5 ft nothing, and under a 100lb, I'm not too crazy about traveling alone either, at least not initially..lol

Departure: NYC
Tentative travel date: Spring 2006
Possible destination: up for most, esp. Greece, Spain, Italy, Germany, SEA

·
Banned
145 Posts
fraidycat said:
One on One,
Where are you leaving from. And how long are you traveling for?
I dunno where I'm leaving from yet...somewhere in the US though, east or west coast :)

I plan to travel at least a month, more if I have money.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts