Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just interviewed for a job that requires a secret security clearance for a company that does government contracting (i.e. military). For anyone who cares it is in the IT field, database administrator. The interview went well, I left feeling like I really had a chance to get the job.

I'm wondering how deep the background checks run to grant such a clearance. The main thing I'm thinking of is my past stays at mental hospitals. I've been hospitalized 4 times since I was 18 for major depression and I received ECT at one point. Last hospitalization was in 2005, I was switched to a different medication (Wellbutrin) and since then I've been pretty stable depression-wise, but my social phobia has been off the charts.

There's also my long history of seeing psychiatrists, therapists, and social workers, which continues to this day. Does anyone know if this information would remain confidential or would they be able to access it? If so, I'm thinking it would probably affect my chances of getting the job negatively. Which would suck, because I would really like to have it.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I don't think they would look into your medical records. But if you're hospitalized involuntarily sometimes the police become involved and this may stay in their records for a few years. I don't think that happens very often, but go to the police station and ask for a criminal records check. This should show you anything that's attached to your name.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You're worried that they'll find out you were in hospital for depression? 1. they probably won't be allowed to search for your medic files. 2. The hospital is obliged to give details to some employers but it's not as if you were dangerous to anyone. Having depression in the past is nothing to be ashamed about. I doubt they'll sack you even if they knew this. I haven't heard of a case where someone was sacked because they were in hospital for depression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts