Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what to say, what to say.

I'm 29. Still live at home with my parents and have been in and out of university for years (5 or 6 times at least). The usual pattern is I would start a semester looking fine then depression and anxiety would kick in somewhere mid way through and I would drop out. Maybe I'd have to give a presentation, sometimes there was no single trigger. Either way this has shredded what was once a 4.0 GPA. It doesn't help that I never really learned any proper study habits, HS was easy enough for me that I never really had to study to get strait As. I haven't been back to university in about 5 years. I've managed to hold down 2 retail jobs in the past 6 years or so, both quit due to depression/anxiety. The first was a long stint at 7-11 where I was an assistant manager and acting manager in the last year or so. This was actually a very good short period in my life. The 2nd job was in sales at NCIX, a computer retailer here. You might think that public positions like these would be bad for someone with SA but I'm good in environments where there's a clear social barrier between myself and those I'm dealing with. I completely avoid most other social environments especially if they are intimate or could get so in any way. Large groups I'm ok in, like at restaurants and the like. In between these jobs I've spent long periods cooped up in my room just short of catatonic. Basically a shut in. Had problems with alcohol off and on, though not right now. Never had a GF, never been close to a girl, still a virgin. Only good sides are that I've managed to save up about 65k during my years working those retail jobs, course living at home with my parents I've not exactly had any expense to speak of. Parents are very supportive and loving but they probably should have pushed me out long time ago, would have forced me to cope, course I would probably just become an alcoholic then.

I saw a psychologist some years back for 1 or 2 sessions but she refused to help me because I was drinking at the time, I've stopped since. I've also been on medication, Paxil, family doc prescribed which seemed to help for a couple of years but then it 'pooped out' after the first year or two. I know this is common for SSRIs. I weaned myself off it but my depression took a nose dive when I did. I'm now seeing a psychiatrist, only 1 session so far, who has but me on a different antidepressant, Pristiq, and I suppose we will see where things go from here.

It's just so difficult for me at my age to return YET AGAIN to square one. Again my mother and father are very supportive, but my greater family has always been very success oriented and I was always supposed to be "the smart one" with the brightest future ahead of him etc... Now I see everyone has past me by and I'm back here again, like I'm 15 (no offence to anyone younger on here). I'm very tired.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I am 47. I have started over so many times it's ridiculous. don't be like me. get yourself together and make a serious, consistent effort NOW so that you will be where you want to be, before my age. get a good therapist, get cbt therapy, and you will be able to do it. I am certain of it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am 47. I have started over so many times it's ridiculous. don't be like me. get yourself together and make a serious, consistent effort NOW so that you will be where you want to be, before my age. get a good therapist, get cbt therapy, and you will be able to do it. I am certain of it.
Thanks. I know I need to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts