Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I read a topic on these forums that really resonated with me so I decided to join. I'm 25, a recent uni grad, and I just quit a really high paying and hard to get job recently because I couldn't stand my coworkers, the work environment and the crap work itself. So I am about to go back to uni to do a PhD.... at least I thought I wanted to until today, when I picked up a scientific paper, and realised I really hate reading these as much as I do writing them. They are frustrating and soul-destroying. You know I thought I had everything sorted until I picked up that paper.

In all honesty, I don't really know what I want to do. I change my mind almost every day. I can only make a decision that has a backup plan attached to it, if I can make a decision at all. I've got no confidence, and due to years of introversion coupled with ever decreasing confidence, my people skills are getting even worse. As a result, I am spending more and more time alone, on the computer, with the door locked.

I make decisions because I think they are what's best for me, or what would make some one else happy, because I can't decide on what I really like. As it turns out, what's best for me is not necessarily what I like. That job I just quit, that whole industry, it is what I thought I wanted and set as my goal throughout uni. But now I realise I don't actually care for it that much. I don't care much for anything.

I envy those people with a life passion. What a gift! Right now I'd settle for a job where I didn't have to think or deal with people, and it was as brief and casual as possible, but still considered successful. Why a mindless job? Because every time I think I over-complicate things and frustrate myself, but when I am doing something repetitive and precise its almost therapeutic.

Well there's my sob story. :p Thanks for taking the time to read it. I hope to get to know some of you soon.

p.s. Yes I have been previously diagnosed with SA.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A warm welcome to the site. I know exactly what u mean. And not dealing with people, does not mean a mindless job. In fact anything using ur skills, interests and creativity is all the more mindful. People who are arty, who write etc..very often work alone. As long as you do not avoid working with others when what you really would dream of doing involves this. I hope that maakes sense. You have now given yourself the chance to find what you love, you may not realise it yet because you have been so busy just set in your ways of a previous job. Anything can be utilised, and anytime you cath yourself enjoying a task or a hobby- yes hobbies can be turned into a living- think about how you could use that skill or interest and if it is something you would like to pursue. Many people settle for less, because they think a job is a job and is meant to be boring or mundane. But it's not the case, when u enjoy it- u do even better at your job. Don't settle for less, try things out and your passion will come to you easier than you think. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A warm welcome to the site. I know exactly what u mean. And not dealing with people, does not mean a mindless job. In fact anything using ur skills, interests and creativity is all the more mindful. People who are arty, who write etc..very often work alone. As long as you do not avoid working with others when what you really would dream of doing involves this. I hope that maakes sense. You have now given yourself the chance to find what you love, you may not realise it yet because you have been so busy just set in your ways of a previous job. Anything can be utilised, and anytime you cath yourself enjoying a task or a hobby- yes hobbies can be turned into a living- think about how you could use that skill or interest and if it is something you would like to pursue. Many people settle for less, because they think a job is a job and is meant to be boring or mundane. But it's not the case, when u enjoy it- u do even better at your job. Don't settle for less, try things out and your passion will come to you easier than you think. :)
Thank you for your insight. I really mean that. It's so nice to have some one take the time to read your thoughts and feelings and then respond so warmly. It's kind of funny what you say as in many ways I am a closet arty person with a cold-blooded sciencey background, but that's its own story. I will give what you say some reflection. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you for your insight. I really mean that. It's so nice to have some one take the time to read your thoughts and feelings and then respond so warmly. It's kind of funny what you say as in many ways I am a closet arty person with a cold-blooded sciencey background, but that's its own story. I will give what you say some reflection. :)
My plesh! :) Let us know what u decide.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Superhands welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, Superhands! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.