Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
ugh! i have absolutely no idea why they have have to happen , all i know is they really are dreadful. Im guessing the reason that they happen so often with me is because i dont really contribute alot to the conversation, i put in less than i should,lol.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Sometimes they happen because our personalities don't click or we don't have anything in common with each other. We can't expect to get along or be friends with everyone in the world. Other times I think they happen because society has made us believe that they are ackward when it's perfectly normal to not say anything. We're taught that we always have to be communicating with each other constantly, and if we're not, then something is wrong.

·
Registered
179 Posts
when it happens to me which is rare because i dont really ever hang out with anyone...but when it happens i say to myself that its ok he/she isn't saying anything either so its not just like im not saying anything...and i try to remember that people don't have to be all talking 24/7 there can be silence until one person has something to say..if there is nothing to be said then no one has to say anything...were only human...i try not to be so hard on myself [even though its so hard !!!!!]

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dunno, I never feel awkward during so-called "awkward silence" moments.

Usually if I can't think of anything to say I just smile and ask, "Whatcha thinking about?"

Of course, that doesn't work if the awkward silence is being caused by an awkward situation, but that's a different story.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
They are talking telepathically to you or to others. If you hear nothing within, they are talking to spirits around them. Sometimes they were "kicked" inside about how they need to do something else but there was no words they heard it was just understood because they saw a picture of what they need to do now with a mild shock or they remember that there is something they need to say and they are calling the spirit back to help them remember. Take no offense.

If it is hot out they are thinking about ice cream. If you ask them if they would like to get ice cream or have some icecream, they probably won't turn it down even with allergies unless they are severe. The eyes will open wide and they will nod as if in a trance. Then it all becomes suddenly clear what was really happening and what they needed. They may mention something else in place of icecream. Listen carefully as to what this is. Their bloodsugar is low is all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I dunno, I never feel awkward during so-called "awkward silence" moments.

Usually if I can't think of anything to say I just smile and ask, "Whatcha thinking about?"
Same here. I either ask what's on their mind or I try laughing it off, usually the other person laughs too.

What's worse, awkward silences or awkward conversations?
Definitely awkward conversations.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Ugh! Hate awkward silences.
Makes me feel even more socially awkward.
Makes me feel like I am being boring and the person would rather be somewhere else.

·
Trapped in my own head
113 Posts
Not all awkward silences are really awkward (if that makes any sense). It's what you make of it. Sometimes people have to be silent for a bit to absorb what was said and think of what to say next. Conversations are like chess, not checkers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not all awkward silences are really awkward (if that makes any sense). It's what you make of it. Sometimes people have to be silent for a bit to absorb what was said and think of what to say next. Conversations are like chess, not checkers.
Yep, there's nothing wrong with taking a breather from a conversation. Not everyone is interested in non-stop, constant jabbering, and that includes us (ESPECIALLY us.)

If you just had a really good conversation flowing and it just suddenly stopped, just take the time to reflect on what you were just talking about. The suggestion about ice cream has merits too, switching the topic could work if you really do feel awkward.

Or you could just say you hate awkward silences, because that's true, and that's a conversation topic in itself!

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,297 Posts
Sometimes silence bothers me not because I can't handle it but because I can feel the other persons discomfort with it & it rubs off rather fast. If there is a moment when both parties are at peace with the moment of silence I am often fine with it.

Generally speaking though they do serve to increase my SA symptoms/thoughts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts