Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you feel awkward by the way you walk? Does it ever cause you to stumble or walk funny, because you think people are watching you? And judging you? Do you walk with your back straight or slouched over? If your standing in front of someone and they are talking to you, do you ever feel the need to cross your arms? Or do something with your hands?

·
Registered
123 Posts
It used to happen to me every day when i was walking into my junior high school i would almost completely forget how to walk and have to force myself to move and i must have looked like i was drunk or disabled or something cause i literally get out of my mom's car and i would forget the mechanics to walking cause i just "knew" everyone was looking at me and bam! total panic attack, but i had to maintain a calm face cause "everyone was watching". I know now no one was but it was torture every day. That was one of my lowest points. The arm crossing i always do when someone is talking to me, its just comforting. And i still haven't managed to figure out the right amount of eye contact when having a one on one conversation with some one new. I look every where but at them I know it must look rude but i just cant help it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
crossing arms... it's a gesture that shows that you don't trust a person to whom you are talking to
don't do it, unless you really want to show that you don't like what they are saying

·
Registered
505 Posts
yes!! I try to walk confidently and normally but it feels so unnaturally. I need to feel slumped over and my hands crossed or in my pockets in order to feel safe and comfortable.. but either way, I always feel like all my mannerisms are so awkward.

ugh.

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
Yes, I feel awkward when walking.

Someone once told me that I walked as if controlled by series of uncoordinated muscle spasms. I don't think I've ever fully recovered from that jab. Also, now that I've left college, I no longer have backpack straps to hold on to. I'm not sure what I'm going to do... holding onto those straps is the only way I know how to walk confidently. I now know why people wear suspenders when belts are clearly the more practical choice.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Do you feel awkward by the way you walk? Does it ever cause you to stumble or walk funny, because you think people are watching you? And judging you?
Yup but not badly...only ocassionally when I get really anxious (as in, when the person watching you is being really obvious that they are watching you and are making no attempts to hide the fact that they are watching you) then I might stumble a step but nothing major/very embarassing.

Do you walk with your back straight or slouched over?
Slightly slouched.

If your standing in front of someone and they are talking to you, do you ever feel the need to cross your arms? Or do something with your hands?
Yes - I have a habit of holding my right elbow with my left arm more.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Do you feel awkward by the way you walk? Does it ever cause you to stumble or walk funny, because you think people are watching you? And judging you? Do you walk with your back straight or slouched over? If your standing in front of someone and they are talking to you, do you ever feel the need to cross your arms? Or do something with your hands?
Yes I do. Feels like everyone is starring and judging, and I have no idea on what do to with my arms :blank

·
Registered
277 Posts
I always feel awkward, but much more so when I don't have something to hold onto. And I cross my arms all the time. My arms and hands are the most awkward part for me, whether walking or just standing. I try to walk straight, to keep good posture. I remember when I was in high school people always seemed to notice when other people walked w/ their heads down, so I really try not to do that. But I always feel exposed when walking around people. I'm not only afraid concerning my body language, but if I see someone looking at me, I wonder if something is out of place or I have something on my clothes or my face.

·
Banned
497 Posts
yep

·
Registered
50 Posts
I felt very uncoordinated when I was walking a few years ago, but I think that was down to me being overweight as I never had a problem with my coordination when I was slim and now that I am back at a normal weight I feel fine when I walk.

I do feel I slouch when I walk now though which isn't great, but I feel comfortable when I walk like that and that's why I walk that way, I tried the straight body posture walk and chest out, but it feels so unnatural and I am not comfortable when I walk like that although I know that is the way too walk if you want to come across as confident.

I remember as a kid that I always used to walk with my head down and people use to comment on the way I walked back then, but I grew out of that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I feel awkward when I walk and people are watching me too, but I find that if I just force myself not to think about my walking, it comes naturally. (even though its usually pretty hard to stop thinking about it..). I don't know what to do with my hands either-usually I cross my arms because I just don't know where to put them. They feel weird just hanging. Or sometimes I pick at my nails just for something to occupy my hands..
I tend to slouch, I guess its comforting..I feel like I'm too proud of myself when I try walk with a straight back, and feel like people are going to think I'm stuck up..

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
What's a good way to stand when talking to someone? I usually end up standing with my hands in my pockets or with one hand grabbing my other arm, but it seems a little ackward.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I cant stand walking in front of people because of this very reason. I start to feel as though I'm about to trip and I worry that the people behind me are thinking I'm an idiot and can't walk straight like I'm drunk or something.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have this problem too! Mostly I'll cross my arms or wring my hands because I know I look silly with my skinny little bony arms just down to my sides.

·
Haters to the left.
No alarms and no surprises
2,733 Posts
Yeah, I feel really awkward when walking if I don't have a purse over my shoulder to hold onto. I never know what to do with my arms/hands.

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts
The anxiety causes my whole body to stiffen up, and the majority of the stiffness goes to my right leg, so now I have this awkward and embarrassing limp. It causes a lot of people to look at/make fun of me and the more people who look at me, the worst it gets.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know I'm constantly afraid of how I look walking if and what body language I'm projecting, can't always control it. Then I start thinking about my walking when I'm doing it, and assume it must not look natural if I'm doing it on manually. I actually often kind of get frustrated looking at other people wondering "what do they do, do they actually think about how they walk?" I don't want to show in my body language just how extremely shy I am, but I'm pretty sure it finds its way out in the open whether I like it or not. Seems like I have to fidget or do something in every conversation to keep my mind occupied, it just feels so natural to do so to me, but then I catch myself looking at my watch or fidgeting my hand all the time and it makes me feel embarrassed.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I sometimes when I walk, walk with my arms crossed and i know i shouldn't do it because even if i feel like that, it means 'don't come near me' or something like that. Sometimes its just a habit, i automatically do it and if gives me something to do with my arms. If i feel i should stop crossing my arms, i sometimes, have one hand holding my bag on my shoulder and then other I just keep by my side

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I cross my arms too when i'm talking to someone. I just don't know what to do with my hands. If I stop myself from crossing my arms, my hands end up in the back pockets of my jeans, which doesn't feel natural either.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah well i think thats one of the biggest reasons i have really bad social anxiety. i dont know why people dislike me so much since im such a nice soft spoken guy so i always assume its something in the way i look or in the way i carry myself through body language. can anyone else relate?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts