Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that if there were more awareness of SA it would make life easier for you?
It seems there has been a lot of awareness of other 'behavioural problems' in recent times, for example, if you mention 'OCD' to almost anyone, the chances are they will know a little bit about the condition and how it affects people, without having to explain what the abbreviation means. But mention Social Anxiety and you tend to get blank faces. The classic response I got recently (and have had numerous times in the past) was "Ok, but I think we all get nervous and anxious now and again". It just makes me give up trying to explain.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've heard that. I can tell someone how I feel about being in public, and how it can effect me, and they will CONTINUE to ask me to go places. I say no everytime!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I get this a lot too. They are like it's 'normal' well, since when has it been normal to not do things because of intense anxiety that occurs regularly? You know, they just think it's a littly shyness or nervousness, when in actual fact it's quite a severe disorder, that can affect you daily.

Anyway, I think you're right the lack of understanding is really annoying. It seems like people automatically class SA as being less severe than other disorders.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I pretty much get, "it's in your head".

Of course. That's what I want to hear.

Thinking about something I have to attend in like 6 months, almost makes me want to cry. I will think about it DAILY. Horrible.

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
Another bad thing is trying to convince yourself that you can make it through the situation and then it gets so horrible there that your body tries to tell you, "What were you thinking?" Then you find it hard to breath, your chest tightens, your stomach aches, and you are trembling like you are freezing. If you don't have an escape plan then you have to find a coping method really quickly.

I try to help my wife become more aware of how sensitive I am in each SA situation but really, it is so tedious that it is almost like a job in and of itself. It is exhausting to her and of course I am exhausted by the situation. She tries to explain to me how it really isn't as bad as it is (i.e. that person didn't mean anything by coughing really loudly, very often, laughing really obnoxiously, crowding you, etc.) and how it is mostly my perception of people.

If it takes this much effort for ONE person to understand SA I don't think I would have enough sanity to explain, re-explain, and re-re-explain to a few billion other people.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get this a lot too. They are like it's 'normal' well, since when has it been normal to not do things because of intense anxiety that occurs regularly? You know, they just think it's a littly shyness or nervousness, when in actual fact it's quite a severe disorder, that can affect you daily.

Anyway, I think you're right the lack of understanding is really annoying. It seems like people automatically class SA as being less severe than other disorders.
Lol, "it's normal" yeah, it's normal to be worrying about something you have to do for days/weeks/months, and all you can think is - what excuse can I give that will not make me sound like a complete and utter maniac! Only thing is I'm really, really bad at lying!

I think maybe people think it's less severe because of how we/I describe it, it's an 'emotion' (i.e. nervousness and shyness), that they can sympathise with, because they have experienced those at some time in their life. However, they don't understand the severity or how bad those emotions can get when it affects someone with SA.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another bad thing is trying to convince yourself that you can make it through the situation and then it gets so horrible there that your body tries to tell you, "What were you thinking?" Then you find it hard to breath, your chest tightens, your stomach aches, and you are trembling like you are freezing. If you don't have an escape plan then you have to find a coping method really quickly.

I try to help my wife become more aware of how sensitive I am in each SA situation but really, it is so tedious that it is almost like a job in and of itself. It is exhausting to her and of course I am exhausted by the situation. She tries to explain to me how it really isn't as bad as it is (i.e. that person didn't mean anything by coughing really loudly, very often, laughing really obnoxiously, crowding you, etc.) and how it is mostly my perception of people.

If it takes this much effort for ONE person to understand SA I don't think I would have enough sanity to explain, re-explain, and re-re-explain to a few billion other people.
Wow, you're very lucky! But it sounds like you've worked hard to make it 'understandable' to your wife.
I find I get really excited about an 'event' that I have to go to, and I almost think, it's no big deal, I CAN do it. Then time goes by and I start getting panicky about it and ultimately all that hope and anticipation just slips away and it becomes this MASSIVE upheaval that's going to ruin my life!

I love this forum, I'm new here but, I cannot tell you how great it is to hear other people saying they are exactly the same as me, even though I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
Thanks for your replies, you've made my day! :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
My god radames speaks of exactly what I go through with my parents. I totally agree with what you have said, it feels so exhausting, like it's a damn chore to make people understand, why you find said thing difficult!

·
Banned
497 Posts
Do you think that if there were more awareness of SA it would make life easier for you?
It seems there has been a lot of awareness of other 'behavioural problems' in recent times, for example, if you mention 'OCD' to almost anyone, the chances are they will know a little bit about the condition and how it affects people, without having to explain what the abbreviation means. But mention Social Anxiety and you tend to get blank faces. The classic response I got recently (and have had numerous times in the past) was "Ok, but I think we all get nervous and anxious now and again". It just makes me give up trying to explain.
yes cos people will just accet you. ive expericned this in my own life. i was misunderstand so people were stand off ish. then i got sme awareness of SA going intmy local newspaper and pople started understanding my situation and accepting me

it didnt half make thins easier.

when you have SA you not only have to fight S but you have to fight being misunderstood too. idf there was more awarenes on sa you wouldnt be misunderstood

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think a lot of people think that it's not real. After I spend time explaining what it is like to people they usually understand. I still hate it when people refer to it as "just a little shyness" though. They don't realize how difficult and debilitating it can be.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
It seems like people automatically class SA as being less severe than other disorders.
That's annoying. I agree there is a definite lack of understanding about SA. There are so many undiagnosed cases (clinical or otherwise) as a result of this which I think is an issue. Most of the people with SA are labeled as either shy, socially "retarded" :roll or creepy loners.

I definitely think there needs to be more public awareness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts