Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience this? sometimes when i sleep or take a nap it feels
like my mind is awake but my body is asleep, i can hear the tv and everything
else in the backround but i cant wake up! i try screaming but i CANT! i start panicking trying so desperately to wake up untill i finally wake up,i have to immediately get out of bed or else the samething will happen .

it happened today when i took a nap i thought my mom was in the room but i later found out that she was at the store the whole time because i tryed yelling out to her, you know that feeling when someone is in your room or trying to sneak up on you the sense that someones there i usually feel that when i cant move. the very frist time this happend to me i had a dream of a small stick figured man or thing peaking at me threw the door. Im very scared i dont know if i shold see the doctor or not i hate the doctors. i need help i scared of sleeping now.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oh yes! It sucks. First time it happened to me, I thought I saw words written in blood on my wall - ugh. Still, to this day, I don't know why I didn't piss my pants.

Happens to my father quite a bit (not the pissing of the pants, but the waking up and being unable to move).

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,795 Posts
hmmmm sounds like sleep paralysis, but i'm not a doctor just a college student haha. the only way to help fix it as far as i know is not to go a long time without sleeping. good luck!!

·
---
408 Posts
Hi SOME. That does sound like sleep paralysis. When you're asleep and dreaming your brain has to paralyze your body so you don't act out your dreams in real life. Sometimes when you awaken from that state your brain can "wake up" but your body may remain paralyzed for a few minutes. It doesn't usually mean that anything is wrong with you. It happens in completely normal people. There are a few things you can do to make it happen less frequently, like sleeping in different positions. Here's the wikipedia article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

The feeling of a "presence" in the room (like your mom, the "stick man", etc) is also somewhat common. A lot of cases of "alien abduction" are thought to actually be cases of sleep paralysis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts