Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else ever tell themselves 'right, I'm going to go to bed at __ tonight, no exceptions' and then because you have something you're not really looking forward to the following day, you just stay up later and later? I've done this for years. I'll struggle to go to bed because I don't want tomorrow to come. But then at the same time, I'll panic when it starts getting a bit too late, because I worry about being tired the following day. :blank

·
Registered
760 Posts
Does anyone else ever tell themselves 'right, I'm going to go to bed at __ tonight, no exceptions' and then because you have something you're not really looking forward to the following day, you just stay up later and later? I've done this for years. I'll struggle to go to bed because I don't want tomorrow to come. But then at the same time, I'll panic when it starts getting a bit too late, because I worry about being tired the following day. :blank
I'd stay up due to anxiety over the particular thing on the next day.

Speaking of sleep...I have had severe hypersomnia of late. In the last few days anything from 12-16 hours has been the norm. This is due to depression though. However, I'm hopeless at waking up in the morning at the best of times.

Does anyone get excessive morning anxiety?

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I do this sometimes, but I usually just stay up because I'm so used to it and I like being up at night better because everyone in my house is asleep.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
If I used to have to get up the next day and early too for like a training course/school/job I used to hate having to go to bed early. Coz it means going to bed and having to wake up the next morning to go to wherever I'm going.
I used to like to stay up late, because i didn't want 'tomorrow' to come but then I used to think oh if I stay up late, I'll be tired the next day. I used to look at the clock too and when it used to get to 10pm or 11pm or something I used to get all nervous for having to go to bed soon and get up to go to 'that place'
At the moment, I have no where to go because I am unemployed so it doesn't bother me at the moment if i look at the clock and its getting late and thinking I have to be up early tomorrow etc. I love staying up late and knowing I don't have to go anywhere 'horrible' tomorrow LOL.
So yeah I can relate.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yea, I stay up late sometimes because I don't want tomorrow to come too someties. Usually I am anxious about working, so I figure, it feels longer to tomorrow if I stay up later. But then I am tired the next day and regret staying up late. So, I totally know what you mean.

·
Trapped
322 Posts
I usually go to bed at somewhat regular time but I wake up really early if I have something that day which makes me anxious. It sucks if it's later in the day cause I'll end up counting the hours/minutes left till whatever it is I have to do. Can't really get myself to do anything productive during the wait either.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't sleep when I am stressed or feeling crappy or depressed. Sometimes I will lay awake thinking for hours about nothing and everything. I will stay up especially if I am dreading the next day which only makes the time go by faster.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I have a problem of staying up too much. It's not really because I'm dreading something, but because I want to watch something on tv or stay on the computer.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Does anyone else ever tell themselves 'right, I'm going to go to bed at __ tonight, no exceptions' and then because you have something you're not really looking forward to the following day, you just stay up later and later?
Oh absolutely! I have to force myself to go to bed on a Sunday night for this very reason.

·
PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,593 Posts
I just did this last week. I stayed up til 2 a.m. and I had to get up at 7 for my 8 o'clock lab. I ended up skipping the lab, anyway. >.< It was a lapse in controlling the dread area of my brain. It was going to be a pretty easy lab, but the fact that I *knew* it was going to be partner work that day...I just got too obsessive.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love staying up late and knowing I don't have to go anywhere 'horrible' tomorrow LOL.
Yeah, that's the best feeling, lol. Lately I've been feeling that way on Fridays, and I'll end up staying up really late but not feeling guilty about it cause yeah, no need to, haha.

It sucks if it's later in the day cause I'll end up counting the hours/minutes left till whatever it is I have to do. Can't really get myself to do anything productive during the wait either.
Oh god, I'm always doing that. Actually whenever I'm waiting for something to happen (someone to knock on the door, for it to be time for me to go somewhere, ect) I can't really do anything but sit there and obsess over it. I mean, I'll do other things but I won't stop thinking about (and freaking out over) whatever I'm waiting for.

Also with me staying up late, I often wake up and see it's about 6 AM (or earlier) and I sometimes won't be able to get back to sleep from worrying so I'll end up having even less sleep.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That was the reason why I first went to a doctor - to help me sleep. She was really smart and in spite of me hiding the real cause understood that there's more to it that trouble sleeping and referred me to a psychiatrist.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I stay up late because my days are such let downs that I feel like I have to enjoy myself. Since I can't do it during the day, I do it at night.

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
I have trouble sleeping because i have nothing to look forward to and i feel sad.
I feel the same. I hate the thought of waking up in the morning to another day of this miserable existence so I just don't sleep til it's a must. It's usually around 4 or 5 am before I sleep. It's almost as though the thought of waking up again is such a disppointment and I wanna hold off on facing it each day.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
i don't like going to sleep because i'm afraid I'll miss something.

That, and if there's something I'm dreading the next day, or something I am nervously excited about.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes I do this, I do enjoy night time greatly due to the peace and solitude I guess. However on average Im up between midnight and 3am most nights. Something I need to work on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts