Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've been doing some meditating lately on why I tend to avoid people. I know that it is due to anxiety, but it's not quite as typical as what people describe here usually.

I think sometimes that I'm afraid of the mere presence of other people. If I pass through a room and there are people in there, I immediately start thinking how I can avoid them seeing me or noticing me. But I'm not thinking of them as individuals who are judging me. I feel like it's more of a basic emotion. Like a cat and mouse game... if they see me, it's game over.

When I do finally get "caught" in a social situation, I am generally okay. I may not talk too much, but my thoughts are usually directed at the conversation. If its boring, my mind will wander. Sometime I won't pay attention as much as I could... and sometimes I think I come off a bit awkward because I rapidly change topics or get focused on one subject for too long. But all of that is not what I fear.

For me, the big problem is just that initial not wanting to be anywhere near there that gets me into trouble. I have trouble walking by houses when there are people out front. When I was in college, I had trouble going out of my room to use the restroom because there were always people talking right outside of my door. When people come to my apartment to do construction, I would pretend I'm not there and will hide in my room.

Does anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah... except it's not really a game for me. It's just I get realllyyyyyy high-strung, paranoid, and I have severe panic attacks... I'm a pretty chill person when I'm alone or with close friends or family so I hate that feeling.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... except it's not really a game for me. It's just I get realllyyyyyy high-strung, paranoid, and I have severe panic attacks... I'm a pretty chill person when I'm alone or with close friends or family so I hate that feeling.
Well, it's a game in the sense that there isn't any real threat of death or injury. But it's not a game in that it can be really stressful and nerve-wracking. It can cause some serious problems, especially in terms of making friends or just going about daily life.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I do try to avoid people sometimes, depending on my mood. I do not want to get stuck in a long, boring conversation that does not interest me. When this happens, it feels like the energy is being drained from me.

·
Inactive Member
574 Posts
I avoid people because I think they'll judge me negatively.

The unfortunate thing about this is that you can't prove that they won't (a lot of people are pretty judgmental, like it or not). You can only work on not caring if they do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Okay, so I've been doing some meditating lately on why I tend to avoid people. I know that it is due to anxiety, but it's not quite as typical as what people describe here usually.

I think sometimes that I'm afraid of the mere presence of other people. If I pass through a room and there are people in there, I immediately start thinking how I can avoid them seeing me or noticing me. But I'm not thinking of them as individuals who are judging me. I feel like it's more of a basic emotion. Like a cat and mouse game... if they see me, it's game over.

When I do finally get "caught" in a social situation, I am generally okay. I may not talk too much, but my thoughts are usually directed at the conversation. If its boring, my mind will wander. Sometime I won't pay attention as much as I could... and sometimes I think I come off a bit awkward because I rapidly change topics or get focused on one subject for too long. But all of that is not what I fear.

For me, the big problem is just that initial not wanting to be anywhere near there that gets me into trouble. I have trouble walking by houses when there are people out front. When I was in college, I had trouble going out of my room to use the restroom because there were always people talking right outside of my door. When people come to my apartment to do construction, I would pretend I'm not there and will hide in my room.

Does anyone else experience this?
Your post may as well have been posted by me. I experience pretty much everything you mention here. Even now, if I hear people talking outside my apartment door, I'll wait til they leave before I step out. When I do get in a situation where I have to talk, it's more like I'm just trying to tread water, or barely keep up with the conversation. Just kinda nod my head a lot and say "yeah." But usually I'm in the habit of avoiding eye contact and conversation

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.