Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it kinda became a natural thing for me when i was yonger but then i realized what i was doing when i grew up, if a group of people call me over like hey ____!!! that split second i get sooo nervous and pretend idon't hear them or walk away

how can i think positivly or face it (other than walking straight towards them)

for example if im at the shopping centre and i see people i knew from high school, i approach them....what do i say after ''oh how you been !'' etc etc

i need to face this fear. and not look like a fool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I to struggle with this....

I find if I think about what I'm going to say to much I end up saying nothing at all or struggling to think what to say.

Try and take the pressure off yourself... remember they called you over so shouldnt they be leading the conversation??

I'd probably try and take an interest in them although I'm no expert.

How are you is generally answered with good thanks... think of some open questions to so they open up to you and that will then start the conversation off.

Nothing wrong with talking about yourself either.. why you are at the mall, what you are buying... I dunno... I'm buying a gift for my girlfriend or buying clothes for holiday. If they are human they will then start asking you questions about where you are going and how long youve been with your girlfriend.

Whats the worst that can happen? Cant be anything worse than walking off.. at least you made the effort.

I sometimes use what so many people do now days which is being side tracked by youre mobile phone, texting or answering it whilst your talking to someone. Thats my back up plan worst case scenario if I start to panic. Thats very common and wont show someone you are anxious.

I'm more of an observer to be honest with you. I use what you see on television, chat shows, comedies ect... I find these are good ways for me to pick up new ways of talking to people

1 - 2 of 2 Posts