Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on the web about Avoidant personality disorder and I was wondering if anybody had this. Is it a different disorder or is it the same as Social Anxiety?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I believe I have this. One of the differences with SA, it seems, is that whereas an SA sufferer excessively monitors himself in a social situation, an AvPDer (?) will also monitor excessively other people's reactions.

"Research suggests that people with avoidant personality disorder, in common with social phobics, excessively monitor their own internal reactions when they are involved in social interaction. However, unlike social phobics they also excessively monitor the reactions of the people with whom they are interacting. The extreme tension created by this monitoring may account for the hesitant speech and taciturnity of many people with avoidant personality disorder. They are so preoccupied with monitoring themselves and others that producing fluent speech is difficult." --http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/avpd.php

·
Registered
950 Posts
Not only that but they are less likely to have the physical symptoms from anxiety.

Some people see it as a more extreme SA but I see it as as a less extreme disorder because people with AvPD generally want to socially strive for interaction whereas people with SA tend to be a lot more resentful of social situations although this is just my personal opinion. While SA can be more extreme, I only see that when it is mixed with multiple other disorders, mainly major depression. other wise I personally believe that AvPD has the advantage of being more willing to fight it. AvPD as I see it are people that have developed Avoidant behaviors whereas Social anxiety is where you have panic attack because of social situations. That’s where the anxiety of social anxiety comes in, when a better term for most of us at this board is social phobic we have fear of socialization, we are all socially phobic but relatively few of us have actual socially anxiety, at least thats how I see it. I know that is flawed, but that is how I stereotype us. But ultimately they are different and I think they both have the privilege to be on this board.

Edit : They both have problems with depression though

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I seem to fit the DSM...my therapist thinks I would have it if I was older, but since I'm younger I don't qualify. I can see his reasoning--I'm still developing an adult personality. I think I have it though.

I can totally relate to the hesitant speech thing. I've never met anyone who talked like me before. I mean, it's irrational to speak softly cuz you're timid, or to speed up your speech when you're babbling nervously, but it's even more irrational to talk sooo slowly and hesitatingly. People can't seem to relate to it at all. In a lot of situations, it seems I react to anxiety and fear differently than people with only SAD.

I've got a different set of problems. I don't know about others with AvPD, but I don't have many panic symptoms. Avoidance and hypersensitivity are my big problems. I'm a giant boob with no self esteem that sabotages herself all the time.

I doubt I ever make a convincing argument that AvPD is a legitimate disorder or that it's different from SAD. And people could be right--maybe its just SA manifesting itself a little oddly.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've thought that AvPD fits me better than plain old social phobia. But they're just labels :stu . I'm reluctant to diagnose myself with a personality disorder, too. I'm only 19, so I'm still developing an adult personality (like sonya99 mentioned).

·
Registered
950 Posts
We should get a AvPD forum...

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Here is a comparison of Avoidant Personality Disorder and Generalized Social Anxiety. I believe I would meet the criteria for APD, because I always feel that I don't fit into society, tend to avoid any kind of thing that involves social contact.

http://www.anxietyhelp.org/information/avpd_vs_sad.html

·
Monster
6,552 Posts
Avoidant Personality Disorder

Description

Avoidant Personality Disorder is where a person has an extreme fear of being judged negatively by other people, and suffers from a high level of social discomfort as a result. They tend to only enter into relationships where uncritical acceptance is almost guaranteed, undergo social withdrawal, suffer from low self-esteem, but have a great desire for affection and acceptance. However, they do not want the affection as much as they fear the rejection.

ICD-10 Criteria
The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders
World Health Organization, Geneva, 1992

F60.6 Anxious (Avoidant) Personality Disorder
Personality disorder characterized by at least 3 of the following:

persistent and pervasive feelings of tension and apprehension;
belief that one is socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others;
excessive preoccupation with being criticized or rejected in social situations;
unwillingness to become involved with people unless certain of being liked;
restrictions in lifestyle because of need to have physical security;
avoidance of social or occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fear of criticism, disapproval, or rejection.
Associated features may include hypersensitivity to rejection and criticism.

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/disorders/dis_details.php?disID=13
Me: all of the above.

I actually had heard of and identified with this disorder before SA.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: re: Avoidant personality disorder

LostInReverie said:
Avoidant Personality Disorder

Description

Avoidant Personality Disorder is where a person has an extreme fear of being judged negatively by other people, and suffers from a high level of social discomfort as a result. They tend to only enter into relationships where uncritical acceptance is almost guaranteed, undergo social withdrawal, suffer from low self-esteem, but have a great desire for affection and acceptance. However, they do not want the affection as much as they fear the rejection.

ICD-10 Criteria
The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders
World Health Organization, Geneva, 1992

F60.6 Anxious (Avoidant) Personality Disorder
Personality disorder characterized by at least 3 of the following:

persistent and pervasive feelings of tension and apprehension;
belief that one is socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others;
excessive preoccupation with being criticized or rejected in social situations;
unwillingness to become involved with people unless certain of being liked;
restrictions in lifestyle because of need to have physical security;
avoidance of social or occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fear of criticism, disapproval, or rejection.
Associated features may include hypersensitivity to rejection and criticism.

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/disorders/dis_details.php?disID=13
I actually had heard of and identified with this disorder before SA.
Thats backwards of the typical. I knew about SA for years before AvPD

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Re: re: Avoidant personality disorder

copper said:
Here is a comparison of Avoidant Personality Disorder and Generalized Social Anxiety. I believe I would meet the criteria for APD, because I always feel that I don't fit into society, tend to avoid any kind of thing that involves social contact.

http://www.anxietyhelp.org/information/avpd_vs_sad.html
Thanks for the link! After reading that I feel like I do have some of the Avoidant traits especially the hypersensitivity to criticism and fear of rejection, but ultimately I think I still fall into the SA camp.

·
Stan the Man
6,433 Posts
Regardless, they are just diagnostic tools. The important thing is we feel these feelings, and we need to help and support each other through them.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I heard about AvPD ages before SA, and I felt that I had it. It depressed me, because I took "avoidant" to mean "too pathetic to do anything". Now I'm more accepting, and I consider both as part of the same problem that I'm trying to overcome.

·
Registered
434 Posts
custard25 said:
I read on the web about Avoidant personality disorder and I was wondering if anybody had this. Is it a different disorder or is it the same as Social Anxiety?
Apparently it's a very significant thing relating to social anxiety. A sourced reference on wikipedia says 20-40% of social phobics have AvPD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like me, although I hate labels. I think avoiding social situations because of your social anxiety go hand in hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts