Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have social anxiety so severe that now you have developed avoidance personality disorder?
In the past couple years my anxiety has gotten so bad that I now just completely ignore all people and all situations. I really feel bad because I have been with my boyfriend for over 6 years now and i've only met his family 2 or 3 times :( My boyfriend also suffers from s.a but it's not as bad as mine so his family understands s.a. I do talk to his brothers online a few times a week so we have gotten close that way but I feel really guilty for not seeing them. I don't think my S.A can get any worse than it is now.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Anyone else have social anxiety so severe that now you have developed avoidance personality disorder?
About once a month this debate of SA vs AVPD comes up and after seeing literally a hundred posts on it I still think they are the same thing.

They differ only in degree. It's like saying "this water is hot". Well, hot can mean hot enough for a warm bath or hot enough to put you in the ER -- both are hot, but differ in how hot. The same is true of SA. I think AVPD is nothing more than a rarely used term for extreme cases of SA. My official diagnosis is "Severe social phobia with generalized anxiety, DSM 300.23." The fact that the doctor who wrote that gives me 10 mg of Xanax daily and has been doing so for years and deems me too disabled to perform any job that exists and "too unstable to attend or participate in" therapy would seem to suggest that he think I'm a rather extreme case, yet even he doesn't use AVPD to describe me, even though I fit the definition perfectly.

As a practical matter, it really make no difference what label you put upon it. Is the treatment any different? It's still the same thing.

I don't think labels matter much here or in many other areas. In a totally unrelated area anybody who's heard Ron Paul open his mouth knows that he's a libertarian despite the (R) after his name.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Mellah: I avoid nearly everything as much as I can, even to the point where I don't even know why I do it anymore, if that even makes any sense! Atleast your boyfriend's family understands SA...

UltraShy: Interesting thoughts...I've kind of gone crazy before trying to research and compare these two! I wonder how or why anyone ever came up with AVPD! I think a lot of people wonder if they now have "avoidant personality disorder" or if that's what the original problem was to begin with...but of course it's pretty much the same thing, just different names! If there really is a difference, someone should write a book about them both...or make it more clearly defined.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Avoidance is the cause of so much grief for me. I'll skip class for weeks because I can't face the chance that the teacher will mention my absence.

think the distinction between SA and AVPD is that social anxiety is more in-the-moment, a reaction to a situation, and avoidance is more like a "this-might-happen-so-lets-just-not-do-anything" sort of situation, where I'll write things off or plan future behaviour based on my extreme fear of being in a negative situation

God, I don't know. It's really hard to distinguish with words, but i think the relationship between APVD-SA is like depression-SA...they are intertwined and feed off each other but i don't think they are one and the same.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Lots of useful info here

It's really hard to distinguish with words, but i think the relationship between APVD-SA is like depression-SA...they are intertwined and feed off each other but i don't think they are one and the same.
:agree

I reckon I have AvPD, based on the information from DSM-IV, quoted on avoidantpersonality.com.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Yes.

I was actually discharged from the military. Diagnosed by multiple doctors with Avoidant Personality with Cluster C traits.

Sucks.

I haven't worked in over a year. I apply to jobs, and they call me back and I avoid answering the phone.

If I answer the phone thinking it's someone I may know, then I will talk with them. They'll set up an interview and then I'll spend the entire length of time until the interview worrying and thinking of what I'll do. Most of the time it's thoughts of skipping the interview entirely. I think I'm ****ed.

lol. Oh this is my first post. Hi everyone.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Woops, Avoidant Personality is apart of Cluster C personality. Along with obsessive compulsive personality, and dependent personality.

I meant to say I was diagnosed Avoidant Personality with Depressed Mood.

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
Yes.

I was actually discharged from the military. Diagnosed by multiple doctors with Avoidant Personality with Cluster C traits.

Sucks.

I haven't worked in over a year. I apply to jobs, and they call me back and I avoid answering the phone.

If I answer the phone thinking it's someone I may know, then I will talk with them. They'll set up an interview and then I'll spend the entire length of time until the interview worrying and thinking of what I'll do. Most of the time it's thoughts of skipping the interview entirely. I think I'm ****ed.

lol. Oh this is my first post. Hi everyone.
Couldn't the Army just make you a sniper or something?

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
I just thought I'd post this paragraph that I just read that I thought was interesting....

Contrary to popular conception, people with social anxiety disorder do not develop agoraphobia. Agoraphobia results from the fear of panic attacks, not from the fear of social interactions. Likewise, people with panic disorder do not develop avoidant personality disorder. Avoidant personality disorder results from social anxiety as people continue to cut themselves off from most of the world because of the fear of social interactions and other people, not from the fear and dread of having a panic attack.
(from http://www.anxietynetwork.com/diff.html)

·
Banned
497 Posts
About once a month this debate of SA vs AVPD comes up and after seeing literally a hundred posts on it I still think they are the same thing.

They differ only in degree. It's like saying "this water is hot". Well, hot can mean hot enough for a warm bath or hot enough to put you in the ER -- both are hot, but differ in how hot. The same is true of SA. I think AVPD is nothing more than a rarely used term for extreme cases of SA. My official diagnosis is "Severe social phobia with generalized anxiety, DSM 300.23." The fact that the doctor who wrote that gives me 10 mg of Xanax daily and has been doing so for years and deems me too disabled to perform any job that exists and "too unstable to attend or participate in" therapy would seem to suggest that he think I'm a rather extreme case, yet even he doesn't use AVPD to describe me, even though I fit the definition perfectly.

As a practical matter, it really make no difference what label you put upon it. Is the treatment any different? It's still the same thing.

I don't think labels matter much here or in many other areas. In a totally unrelated area anybody who's heard Ron Paul open his mouth knows that he's a libertarian despite the (R) after his name.
this post is very good , you are completely right.

avpd is just a more severe case of SA. they are both the same thing. theyre both treated as exactly the same , avpd is just more severe. its like social anxiety on heat

·
Banned
497 Posts
Mellah: I avoid nearly everything as much as I can, even to the point where I don't even know why I do it anymore, if that even makes any sense! Atleast your boyfriend's family understands SA...

UltraShy: Interesting thoughts...I've kind of gone crazy before trying to research and compare these two! I wonder how or why anyone ever came up with AVPD! I think a lot of people wonder if they now have "avoidant personality disorder" or if that's what the original problem was to begin with...but of course it's pretty much the same thing, just different names! If there really is a difference, someone should write a book about them both...or make it more clearly defined.
there is a great cognitive behavioural therapy book about all of the personality disorders written by aron t beck. (its a green and black cover). this has a section on avpd but im affraid thats the most info you will get on the subject.

i do have a book about avpd but its useless, it really is. its a very neglected subject and hard to get info on. one thing that differs between sa and avpd is that avoidants have extremely bad procrastination problems cos they have a low threshold for discomfort .

i dont think it matters what you have. it doesnt matter if you have sa or avpd. all that matters is that you figure out what you are affraid of and then you overcome it. its the same for avpd and sa so putting a label on it is irrelivant

·
Banned
497 Posts
I avoid people as much as I can every single day. There are extremely very few people I talk to. I have been this way for a long time.
i avoid being the centre off attention. i do this to extreme lenghs such as leabing a room when i cough.

some people with sa who dont like being centre of attention will maybe be fine at home or in work but will avoid being centre of attention whilst out in public.

someone with avpd has a more extreme problem and will avoid the centre of attention in every single moment of their life

·
Banned
497 Posts
I just thought I'd post this paragraph that I just read that I thought was interesting....

Contrary to popular conception, people with social anxiety disorder do not develop agoraphobia. Agoraphobia results from the fear of panic attacks, not from the fear of social interactions. Likewise, people with panic disorder do not develop avoidant personality disorder. Avoidant personality disorder results from social anxiety as people continue to cut themselves off from most of the world because of the fear of social interactions and other people, not from the fear and dread of having a panic attack.
(from http://www.anxietynetwork.com/diff.html)
thats true

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Couldn't the Army just make you a sniper or something?
Probably not. Everytime we'd go to the range to shoot I would freak out. During basic training I actually hid in the bathroom's to avoid having to do certain things that I didn't want to when I felt uncomfortable/nervous.

It really sucks. I WANT to be able to do these simple things, but I can't. It's like a matter of life and death with the simplest decisions and scenarios. Like I said about the interview, alot of the time I'll just ignore it and resign myself to thinking 'I'd rather be homeless'.

Obviously homelessness is a much worse alternative, but in my mind if I'm left alone and don't have to feel crazy then it's worth it. Then again, I was living in a car for almost a month earlier this year in Southern California, and would use the beach bathrooms to clean up. I always felt uncomfortable then too because it felt like people somehow knew what I was doing.

I dunno, it's really a lose/lose scenario. I signed up for social security benefits, hopefully it works out.

·
Loser
207 Posts
I read people with AVPD are not only afraid of people watching them, being judged or disgraced, but also to trust somebody and friends must been known for many many years and been proven as friends and stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Generally speaking, anything I "can't" do I DON'T do, so I do avoid a lot of situations and a lot of opportunities in life

Paul

·
wtf
419 Posts
YES.

The best solution to my problem is: If I fear it, approach it.

1. Approach
2. Humiliate myself
3. Learn from my mistakes
4. Try again with the new knowledge I acquired
5. Repeat 2 through 4 until I become comfortable and confident with my skills

I learned that humiliation is not really that bad and is in fact necessary. People usually forgive and forget my mistakes as long as I'm well-intended. They're not really concerned about me anyway. They're concerned about themselves. Pay attention to how other people humiliate themselves too. You think you're the only one but you're not. Just see everything as a learning experience.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts