Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious -- do you guys ever avoid rooms if other people are there at the same time?

For example: office kitchens, bathrooms, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Occasionally; what I hate most is running into somebody again after you've already just said goodbye to them.
Like at work: you go into the breakroom to get a coffee, see some coworker you know slightly, engage in some obligatory polite conversation with them ("Hi, how's it going, what are you doing this weekend, oh really? Well, have fun. See you later.")

Then, five minutes later, you come out of a bathroom stall and see them standing there at the sink.

It's such an awkward situation. It's like, should I say hi all over again? Should I just ignore them? Are they going to think I'm stalking them, being rude, being over-friendly? What the heck am I supposed to do? How do normal people cope with this type of situation?

So yeah, I avoid this type of thing at all costs- running into the same person over and over again- even if I have to avoid rooms where I suspect they'll be.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
I've done it before.

Citizen, they aren't going to think of anything negative about the encounter. Usually, people will say something quick since it is the bathroom. Maybe something like, "Well, back to work. See you around."

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
Sometimes just depends who is there. Like one day I had to ask one of the staff a question, but there was the one staff that is an extrovert. His mouth is always running. Most times I can hear him from my office which is down the hall. The minute I see he was in there I decided not to go in there.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I avoid rooms if my sister has her friends around or her bf and they are in that room, I will avoid it yes, til they disappear or go to another room, then i'll avoid that room too

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've done it before.

Citizen, they aren't going to think of anything negative about the encounter. Usually, people will say something quick since it is the bathroom. Maybe something like, "Well, back to work. See you around."
Indeed. If it were me, I would probably smile to acknowledge them, go about my business, and only say something if they talk to me first. If the other person doesn't say anything, they don't really have the right to think negatively, because it takes two to be silent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts