Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.

This is something which I have done all my life, thinking that I was the only one. Now that I've started coming here I realise that it's probably pretty common.
If there is a shop which I go into semi-regularly, I dread the day when I'll walk in and one of the assistants will recognise me, smile, and say "Ah, good morning sir. How are you today?" Once this has happened, you can bet that I won't go back there any more. I'm not sure exactly why, but I would guess that it's because I don't want to have to "act like me" whenever I go somewhere, if that makes any sense.

I would welcome any replies or comments you would like to make.

Take care, everyone.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
yes, totally. i like being a stranger. one of the advantages of living in a bigger city.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used to go to fast food places and see the same employees every time i went in. I didn't like it, and I started timing my visits to avoid them. It just made me really self-conscious to know that they recognized me and knew that I was coming in all the time getting the exact same thing.

After a while, I kind of got over it. What do they care? They do this all day and more than likely someone comes in more often than you do. I worked in a grocery store once, and I saw people come in two or three times in the same day without the slightest shame. Chances are they remember your face but not your personality.

Most people are pretty short sighted.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, but it's pretty much impossible to remain an anonymous customer at places like coffee shops or cafeterias around here. There is one coffee shop within walking distance from my home (since all the others closed because of the economy), and one fast food place nearby since apparently we are too high class to have a bunch of crappy food joints around. :roll You just get over it, smile pretty, say please and thank you, give them money and leave. I figure as long as you have money in your hand, you're welcome anywhere, especially multiple times.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I find it super awkward when they start to recognize me because I feel like we should have some sort of relationship (not in a creepy way). All the other regular customers seems to have a really friendly relationship with the people in the store and it's kind of embarassing that I'm there just as often but don't have that.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
It doesn't bother me that much. I frequent a few places around here, and see the same employees all the time, but they still never acknowledge me as a regular customer. I guess that's because I never make small talk and just get my stuff and get out as quickly as possible. Sometimes I'm afraid they'll think I'm some creepy loner, because I always go in by myself, but I try not to obsess over it.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The woman who sells tickets at my train station always recognises me because I get the same train everyday. Now she doesn't even have to ask where I'm going I find it a bit weird and now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say and think it's stupid if I say where I'm going because she already knows. And I walk through in plain sight of them so I feel awkward approaching them. I was gonna start taking the bus instead. Now just the hell with it it's not a bad thing you just don't get to be annonymous at all times and it's a bit more pressure for people like us.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only thing I don't like about it is they'll start asking personal questions and expecting more small talk. I don't reveal info or do much small talk so eventually it changes to a vibe of them thinking I'm antisocial or something. That's fine. I'd rather they just continue treating me like a stranger from the start though and not even go down that path.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I rarely do this, but it just so happens I did this past week. I've been going to the same place to get my haircut for a couple years now, and they've started recognizing me there for some reason, even though it's usually different people working each time I go. Well, this past week I drove across town to another location of this store's just so I wouldn't have the possibility of being recognized by the barber and having to make conversation with them throughout the haircut.

In more general terms, I absolutely love the feeling of anonymity you get when walking into a new store or restaurant -- especially when you're traveling and you can be sure no one knows who you are, nor will they ever see you again. I think I'd enjoy moving around every couple years for the rest of my life, partially for that reason. :lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
your not alone

hi,
I can completely relate to this... my parents own a supermarket which i (hesitantly) visit on a regular basis, in fact i am from a small town where everyone knows each other etc.. something i really don't like.

Some days for which i have little or no control over i feel confident and it doesn't bother me to enter the shop, but some times i just want to get in and out and hope nobody sees me and i can leave without being bombarded by generic questions.

If i see people i know, and even if i like them i still don't want to talk to them and i will avoid having to chat if i can.. there was this girl that i like not long ago, it never worked out but i seen her in there and i just froze up, it was horrible.. i felt like i was trapped in the damn place, so maybe those types of feelings are assosciated with shops in general, because i get this is nearly all shops, except places where people don't know me, or i've never been before.

·
Hiding behind the sofa
255 Posts
I hate it when this happens, I've been avoiding going to a couple places now because they started to recoginse me (I'm not the sort of person who likes to go into a cafe or something and just have to order 'the usual')

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes, which was another reason to break up with my ex. He loved the attention...loved...it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes this happened to me a while ago. I used to visit a shop sometimes and two staff members struck up a conversation with me. They were really nice people and very talkative. All I did was smile nervously and say "um, yes" "no" "you're right" "yeah" "yes" "ok" and "bye." LOL. Then I saw them again when I returned another day I felt so shy that I didn't want to stay. When they started talking to me, I felt really worried because I knew they were going to ask me personal things and try to get to know me. This made me feel scared of opening up and I quickly left the shop and didn't go back. Sometimes I look back on this and feel guilty about it.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
yea. its a pretty silly thing to worry about when you think about it, since they are usually friendly. for me it's just the expectation of now having to converse.. and if i don't, then i seem rude.

probably only one place i'm recognized is a photography/camera store where i get my film developed, since it's one of the few places in the city where they developed 120 film so i always just go there. they recognize me and always say hi and address me by name when i go in even if i haven't been there in weeks. i think it used to make me uncomfortable initially but lately i've stopped caring and i'll say hi back and ask them how they are doing.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I usually go out shopping on the weekends to the mall but I never buy anything. I just go there as an excuse to get out of the house. I've been to every mall within a 25 mile radius simply because I don't want to keep visiting the one closest to where I live. After awhile they'd begin to wonder what I'm doing if I show up every weekend to their mall stores and never purchase anything.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Hello everybody.

This is something which I have done all my life, thinking that I was the only one. Now that I've started coming here I realise that it's probably pretty common.
If there is a shop which I go into semi-regularly, I dread the day when I'll walk in and one of the assistants will recognise me, smile, and say "Ah, good morning sir. How are you today?" Once this has happened, you can bet that I won't go back there any more. I'm not sure exactly why, but I would guess that it's because I don't want to have to "act like me" whenever I go somewhere, if that makes any sense.

I would welcome any replies or comments you would like to make.

Take care, everyone.
I think deep down, you want to be known by them. That's trust. When they get to know you, then they know you are cool. :yes

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,028 Posts
For me it depends,

I like it when they know you at the cornerstore because then it's easy to ask if they sell little things or where they are. They'll even let you know when certain things are in stock as well which is great. I also like when they know you at music stores because it makes for quick access to info about what you want. You can call ask for who you know, ask if they have it if it's available on order & there's the possibility of a deal or heads up on deals coming soon. Now if I feel I've embarrassed myself socially in a shop I go to regularly then I'll try to cut down my visits.

For those who mentioned people knowing you when it comes to things like fast food shops I found it made life so much easier when I worked in a pizza shop. The regulars are reasonable when you make mistakes & you know their orders so the transaction is quick & easy. Some are nice & make small talk & when it's slow they don't mind you slacking a bit.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
ROFL, this happens to me at my local bottle shop.
It's bad and you know what, the last two days there have been guys out front of the door asking for donations to the surf lifesavers. Man, they're like those people in the middle of the mall who try to get you to talk to them about some product. It's ****ing annoying.

I became good friends with the Indian guys at the Indian market, they gave me discounts and free samosas and stuff :D God Bless them. I haven't been there in a while.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts