Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

A question came up today in health class. What race has the most autisic people and where are they located in the world?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't know about race, but from my personal experience there seem to be more males with autism than females.

I know only one girl with autism but I know more boys than I can count with some form of autism.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Why do you think more males get autism? What is your opinion which race do you think has more autisic people?
I have no idea. Y Chromosome? Testosterone levels? Umm. No clue.

In my limited experience, I've never met any Asians or Hispanic people with autism, mostly either black or white.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Don't know about race. Boys get fragile X way more often than girls, the explanation being the second X chromozome may compensate for the first if theirs an issue. This is relevant because fragile X and autism can look quite similar.

Autism probably has multiple causes, some genetic. There's likely not just one genotype, but a combination of genes. That boys are diagnosed far more than girls probably relates to some X chromozome defective genes conributing, some Y chromozome involvement, or most likely both.

I've not heard of a racial difference. Why?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Boys are more likely to have autism. I think the importance of knowing if there are more in a particular race is so a cause and contributing factors can be found/better treatments etc. the more you know, the better.
Anyway, my theory is that I think fundamentally males are more logical than females, females display autism differently to males (for aspergers anyways) and I guess there may be some genetic link there with the x chromosome

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boys are more likely to have autism. I think the importance of knowing if there are more in a particular race is so a cause and contributing factors can be found/better treatments etc. the more you know, the better.
Anyway, my theory is that I think fundamentally males are more logical than females, females display autism differently to males (for aspergers anyways) and I guess there may be some genetic link there with the x chromosome
Thats interesting.. I did notice as I was growing up that it was mainly the males who get autism. :no

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why is race so important to you when it comes to autism, exactly? What are you driving at? :confused:
As I said this question came up in health class and no one knew the answer. It seems that there is more autism in the USA -now with 1 in 150 kids getting the disease. I think race is important so we can see which race is suffering the most and being taken out of society. Im sure these statisitics are held somewhere...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think race is important so we can see which race is suffering the most and being taken out of society. Im sure these statisitics are held somewhere...
So you think there is a race that is being "taken out of society" through autism, to the point that it's in danger of disappearing..?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you think there is a race that is being "taken out of society" through autism, to the point that it's in danger of disappearing..?
Well if the autism for that person is disabling them, then yes that person is taken out of society from the disease. It would be nice to know which race is suffering the most from this disease, thats all.

For example sickle-cell anemia occurs overwhelmingly among black populations.

·
MBTI: INFJ Enneagram:4w5
2,192 Posts
I think it's white males from Western society, even though I am half white half Native American woman who has Aspergers. Symptoms of autism can be helped though a person will always have the disorder, by changing to a more natural diet; the Western diet is so full of junk that it could cause ANYTHING.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it's white males from Western society, even though I am half white half Native American woman who has Aspergers. Symptoms of autism can be helped though a person will always have the disorder, by changing to a more natural diet; the Western diet is so full of junk that it could cause ANYTHING.
It seems its the same for social anxiety as well

"The prevalence of social phobia appears to be increasing among white, married, and well-educated individuals."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety_disorder#Prevalence

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
woops.. didnt mean to post that answer twice :O.. but is anyone else out there concerned about which race is impacted the most by these disorders, or is it just me?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another question.. If the parents of an autisic child do not have autism...why would the child have it if its not genetic?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts