Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, a lot of people with autism have so-called "stims", like flapping their hands, rocking back and forth, or smelling their hands. I have this thing where I like to bang my head against a wall over and over again (not hard, it doesn't hurt or anything), but it just has a soothing effect on me. Or when I'm lying in bed or sitting in a chair, I'll rock back and forth to calm myself down or distract my mind.

I'm not sure if these are "stims", tics, or compulsions. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Well Autistics are very sensitive to light, sounds, smells, or temperature. It actually hurts them. So they engage in self stimulation to calm themselves, and to bring order back to their worlds. They may hum, flap hands, rock, I even had a client in a group home I use to work in that use to stand in a scissor stance and bounce back and forth while twirling toilet paper. He would do this if there was a lot of noise. He would go back to his bedroom to do this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Are you asking because you are wondering if you are autistic?

I have worked with many severely and mildly autistic children over the years and there is so much more to it all than just 'stimming'.

A lot of people, myself included, have 'stim' type behaviours that they do. That of itself doesn't not make a person autistic and there really isn't anything all that unusual about most of it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know. I just read about "stimming" today, I had never heard of it before. I don't think I'm autistic. However, my therapist does think I have asperger's syndrome, which is a milder form of autism. I was just asking, I didn't mean anything by it. No offense to anyone.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Those behaviours you describe are stims. They happen outside autism/Asperger's too but are common enough in autism/Asperger's to be part of the diagnositic criteria (although you don't have to fulfill that part).

Kev, has your therapist administered any screening questionnaires (e.g. AQ Test)? How do they wish to proceed with your treatment?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Apparently, a lot of people with autism have so-called "stims", like flapping their hands, rocking back and forth, or smelling their hands. I have this thing where I like to bang my head against a wall over and over again (not hard, it doesn't hurt or anything), but it just has a soothing effect on me. Or when I'm lying in bed or sitting in a chair, I'll rock back and forth to calm myself down or distract my mind.

I'm not sure if these are "stims", tics, or compulsions. Any thoughts?
Highly doubt it is autism kev, I have OCD, and while my condition is more on the obsessive end I do have compulsory habits (I slap my neck alot when bored and walk two steps per concrete slab outside)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Highly doubt it is autism kev, I have OCD, and while my condition is more on the obsessive end I do have compulsory habits (I slap my neck alot when bored and walk two steps per concrete slab outside)
Okay, thanks. That sounds similar to myself.

Again, I wasn't really asking if I had autism or implying that having stims would indicate autism. I just know there is a lot of overlap between OCD, ADD, Asperger, and tic disorders, and wanted to get it straightened out. And my therapist actually does think I have asperger, which I kind of disagree with.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was just asking, I didn't mean anything by it. No offense to anyone.
No worries! I wasn't offended. :)

As for asperger's, or any diagnosis of that type, I would definitely get more than one doctor to check that out. Right now, anything in the autism spectrum is the "in" thing to diagnose with it seems, much like ADD/ADHD was in the 90's. So anytime a doctor attempts that, unless there are VERY clear signs, I would get a second opinion, just to be sure.

Some signs are so obvious that there is no question, but because it is a spectrum disorder, the milder ones can be missed entirely, so while it isn't impossible, there really are so many things that it COULD be, that I would want something like that very carefully checked.

Personal opinion of course, lol.

·
Banned
506 Posts
Interesting thread...

Ah just wondering now. Recently I've picked up this weird habit where I click my fingers every time somebody coughs. I realised it's a mixture of being freaked out by loud noises but also worrying about peoples health. Hard to explain. Oh and when I'm anxious I jerk my head to one side when I hear loud noises, 'cos they stress me out. Probably just anxiety though.

I also have to 'balance up' touching one side of my head with the other, and odd things with my hands where I have to keep touching the tips of my fingers, equal times on each hand. Always have to keep things on even numbers too, if I set the volume on my radio to 5 or 7 I have to move it to 6 as that's an even number. Fact is, there's a lot of weird quirks I have, but none of them really bother me. Apart from the finger-clicking thing as it p!sses off my friend who has tourettes and is constantly clearing his throat :blank.

I seem to score pretty high on ASQ tests, like 35-45 each time. I have no idea what all this is about, but it's been getting worse for a while now.

Meh, probably worrying about nothing though :) I'm a hypochondriac. :D

Wow I just killed this thread didn't I. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
403 Posts
there is an online test you can do to see if it possible you are autistic
or not , check it out at www.channel4.com/ bodies

My score was 27 by the way

·
My So-Called Self
692 Posts
I do have stims, I'm fairly certain I have either HFA or Asperger's which may be why. I rock back & forth, I do this thing with my hand, arm & fingers where I move them around(I can't really explain it-- it's odd lol), I pace back & forth & sometimes walk in circles, etc.

·
Cool Cat
1,017 Posts
Yeah I have always done these a lot. As well as having to touch everything around me, and constantly chew things. (Always had the finger /leg tapping ) and such. For me I don't think it is autism or asperger's I think it's a sensory integration disorder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts