Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A French language meet-up group I joined with the hope of forcing myself to practice both speaking in French and speaking to people at all is having a picnic at a park today. I RSVP'd "maybe" a few days ago and I'm probably not going to fully commit until the last minute, partly because I'm not sure I'll have time to prepare (I don't know what to bring!), but I do think I should go if I can manage it. I said I was shy in my introduction on the website, and I figure if people notice how quiet I am, they'll attribute it partially just to not being very comfortable speaking French.

So my goal is to go and at least talk a little bit to a few people, and if I don't make it today, I should definitely go to next weekend's meet-up.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so I went. I spoke a little bit, though less than anyone else, and mostly English, with French here and there mostly when people asked me questions in French. I had some trouble wording things (in English) because of nervousness but it probably wasn't too bad. I'm trying not to think much about what they might have thought of me and just reminding myself that their impressions aren't important because I'll probably only ever see any of them again if I choose to attend another meet-up . . . which I think I could handle.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was reminded of how much I hate trying to talk to people who have sunglasses on. It feels strange to not be able to see people's eyes in the location where they should be, and I remain constantly overly concerned about where I am looking and how long.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And now I have a nagging anxious feeling that I did poorly and I'm feeling pretty certain that I just suck in general.

·
I am, etc.
1,381 Posts
I was reminded of how much I hate trying to talk to people who have sunglasses on. It feels strange to not be able to see people's eyes in the location where they should be, and I remain constantly overly concerned about where I am looking and how long.
Talking to people with sunglasses is frustrating-I can't 'read' them, and I'm always paranoid they are rolling their eyes or bored with the conversation.

How many people show up to these groups? I think it's great you were able attend-sounds like you did fine. Small groups of strangers is probably the toughest for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I congratulate you on even making it. I signed up for meet-up group then eventually just deleted them from my mailing list.

Don't beat yourself up. All you could do was be as nice and polite as possible. If that wasn't enough for them, forget it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts